HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Unless his camp is a colossal failure or HuGo are buying time to move Dman in a deal, there’s zero chance Hutson doesn’t start in NHL

I expect Hutson will be running Habs PP at some point in Oct, if not season opener
Although I think he probably would be the best option to run the PP I think they will care more about Hutson's long term development then they do what's the best short term PP option. And with every other young guy they've intentionally not given them PP time in part because they wanted them focused on other aspects of their game and viewed PP responsibility as a distraction to the development they care/want to see.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
RE: Barron/Lehkonen of course that's a trade we lost but I think the idea it was some total fleece is a little dramatic. He's a middle six forward who was 1 year away from UFA and didn't fit our window that well. That doesn't change because he hit low 50s point totals with MacKinnon and Rantanen, and I don't think a 5x4.5M extension would have been very popular on here either for that matter. Great trade for Colorado but Barron and a 2nd was a perfectly fine swing to take, the nature of trading for futures is you're trading developed players for uncertain outcomes and you're not going to hit a home run every time (and I don't think Barron is some total bum either, he'll probably turn into a perfectly OK 3rd pair/PP2 guy).

I also think it's important to remember that we had very serious cap problems that year until we got clarity with Price. We traded away Chiarot, Lehkonen, Kulak, and Toffoli at the 2022 deadline, saved more cap via the Petry/Matheson swap, but still had virtually zero cap available until August 2022 when Price went on LTIR with only Dadonov added to the cap sheet to clear Weber's deal long term. Price's status was up in the air through that deadline/offseason period, and the team had to plan for the possibility he'd play at some point in 22-23 until August. Extending Lehkonen would very likely have meant passing up on Dach or the Monahan 1st.

If anyone wants to bring back Monahan after his playoff performance, they are on crack. Love the guy but there is zero reason to bring him back.
Yeah I really have no idea why there's still so much of a desire to sign him. Of course I'd love to have him back at another 1x2M deal like this year but that's just not happening. He'll be 30 by opening night of 24-25 and he's going to be looking for a 4-5 year deal in the 5 million range and this is his last big contract so I don't see him taking a cheap deal. It was a great story and he was a ton of fun to cheer for but we simply can't give him the kind of contract he's going to want.
3 years of Monahan would be cheaper than Marchessault in AAV and it's age 30-32. We already know Monahan fits the Habs.
Like I said above I don't think Monahan is taking a 3 year deaI. This is probably his last chance to cash in as a UFA and his value will never be higher (and there aren't many UFA centers available either). Marchessault is at the age where Pavelski is the main comparable so I think he's far more likely to take a 3 year deal as well.

If it turns out Monahan can be had for 2-3 years at a reasonable number then sure I'd be fine with that, I just don't see why Monahan would pass up his last real chance at a big payday to take another short term deal. The whole point of signing with us for 2M was to get big minutes and set himself up to cash in as a UFA.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
Like I said, shore up the 4th line, make another Dach/Newhook trade and see how things go. If all goes well, they may not need to spend the money on a ufa forward (not that anyone is coming anyway)

Reactions: 417

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Doesn't always work. Sometimes it does. There are no guarantees in life

Placing someone you just paid a big price and a big contract on the 3rd line won't go well. He's just not the type to lead a line by himself. Got to manage and utilize him better IMO.

My gut tells me he is a bit deflated. Asked out of Columbus and has been wanting to play for the Habs for a while now. Habs just couldn't trade those assets. Probably thought LA was a good landing spot (if not the Habs) and LA used him as a 3C for most of the season. This may sound like excuses or context but that's what my gut tells me.

Regardless of where he is, I am curious to see how the next 7 years play out. I don't think he remains at this low level for the entire 7 years. We will see.

His utilization was a result of his performance, it gradually reduced as the season progresses. He had every opportunity to take and hold top 6 deployment, Kings just figured out they had better options to deploy with those minutes despite the major financial commitment they made to him.

He's young enough to figure it out, but if he doesn't do some heavy introspective work, it's more likely that he regresses further over the duration of the deal rather than improving.

Either way, not a risk worth exploring short of lak paying a stiff price to get out from under his hefty cap hit

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
RE: Barron/Lehkonen of course that's a trade we lost but I think the idea it was some total fleece is a little dramatic. He's a middle six forward who was 1 year away from UFA and didn't fit our window that well. That doesn't change because he hit low 50s point totals with MacKinnon and Rantanen, and I don't think a 5x4.5M extension would have been very popular on here either for that matter. Great trade for Colorado but Barron and a 2nd was a perfectly fine swing to take, the nature of trading for futures is you're trading developed players for uncertain outcomes and you're not going to hit a home run every time (and I don't think Barron is some total bum either, he'll probably turn into a perfectly OK 3rd pair/PP2 guy).

I also think it's important to remember that we had very serious cap problems that year until we got clarity with Price. We traded away Chiarot, Lehkonen, Kulak, and Toffoli at the 2022 deadline, saved more cap via the Petry/Matheson swap, but still had virtually zero cap available until August 2022 when Price went on LTIR with only Dadonov added to the cap sheet to clear Weber's deal long term. Price's status was up in the air through that deadline/offseason period, and the team had to plan for the possibility he'd play at some point in 22-23 until August. Extending Lehkonen would very likely have meant passing up on Dach or the Monahan 1st.

Yeah I really have no idea why there's still so much of a desire to sign him. Of course I'd love to have him back at another 1x2M deal like this year but that's just not happening. He'll be 30 by opening night of 24-25 and he's going to be looking for a 4-5 year deal in the 5 million range and this is his last big contract so I don't see him taking a cheap deal. It was a great story and he was a ton of fun to cheer for but we simply can't give him the kind of contract he's going to want.

Like I said above I don't think Monahan is taking a 3 year deaI. This is probably his last chance to cash in as a UFA and his value will never be higher (and there aren't many UFA centers available either). Marchessault is at the age where Pavelski is the main comparable so I think he's far more likely to take a 3 year deal as well.

If it turns out Monahan can be had for 2-3 years at a reasonable number then sure I'd be fine with that, I just don't see why Monahan would pass up his last real chance at a big payday to take another short term deal. The whole point of signing with us for 2M was to get big minutes and set himself up to cash in as a UFA.

It sounds like Monahan will sign with a contender.

Jul 6, 2016
As has been posted may times - I am sure no one offered a first for Anderson and if they did they would have wanted retention. There is no way Hughes was retaining for 4 years. Lehkonen is overrated. he is a very good player but his production is not good enough for the line he is playing on. They got a reasonable return for him. Barron is still developing and the pick hasn't been made or traded yet.

A goal scorer would be more useful but where are they going to get one?
His name is Marchesseault. Or Guentzel….OR Stamkos.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
A Zegras trade would likely come with a very prohibitive acquisition cost. There would be numerous suitors, and with Ducks general manager Pat Verbeek stating his desire to add a right-shot defenceman and a right-shot top-six forward, his obvious ask to the Canadiens would begin with David Reinbacher, which I think would be a non-starter. Could a package involving Logan Mailloux get it done? Perhaps, but again, there will be competition if Zegras is available, and the Canadiens would likely have to overpay to get something done. And while the Canadiens have shown a willingness to overpay in trades, there would be some question as to whether this is the player they would be willing to do that for.

As for Necas, the Hurricanes will likely want to re-sign Jake Guentzel, and probably Teuvo Tervainen as well. Seth Jarvis’ contract is up, and he has earned himself a massive raise, and both Brett Pesce and Brady Skjei are unrestricted free agents on the blue line. Something will have to give in Carolina, and if that means Necas — a restricted free agent coming off a $3 million a year bridge deal — becomes available, he would be a good fit for the Canadiens’ window at 25 years old and scoring 52 goals the past two seasons combined. With the uncertainty on the Hurricanes blue line — Jalen Chatfield and Anthony DeAngelo are also UFA — the Canadiens’ depth of cheap, young defencemen could be appealing here as well.

- Arpon Basu, The Athletic.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
A Zegras trade would likely come with a very prohibitive acquisition cost. There would be numerous suitors, and with Ducks general manager Pat Verbeek stating his desire to add a right-shot defenceman and a right-shot top-six forward, his obvious ask to the Canadiens would begin with David Reinbacher, which I think would be a non-starter. Could a package involving Logan Mailloux get it done? Perhaps, but again, there will be competition if Zegras is available, and the Canadiens would likely have to overpay to get something done. And while the Canadiens have shown a willingness to overpay in trades, there would be some question as to whether this is the player they would be willing to do that for.

As for Necas, the Hurricanes will likely want to re-sign Jake Guentzel, and probably Teuvo Tervainen as well. Seth Jarvis’ contract is up, and he has earned himself a massive raise, and both Brett Pesce and Brady Skjei are unrestricted free agents on the blue line. Something will have to give in Carolina, and if that means Necas — a restricted free agent coming off a $3 million a year bridge deal — becomes available, he would be a good fit for the Canadiens’ window at 25 years old and scoring 52 goals the past two seasons combined. With the uncertainty on the Hurricanes blue line — Jalen Chatfield and Anthony DeAngelo are also UFA — the Canadiens’ depth of cheap, young defencemen could be appealing here as well.

I personally have 0 interest in Necas. Not really someone who elevate his game in a big moment and a perimeter player

Still probably won't be good enough for an important role in the NHL.
I thought that in his draft year but I definitely could see him having a role on a 2nd pair as a defensive guy. His decision making have really improve has much with the puck then without.

Really happy he’s not playing against us in the playoff (even though I wish he would be healthy for his career)

Reactions: Kosseca

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
I personally have 0 interest in Necas. Not really someone who elevate his game in a big moment and a perimeter player

I thought that in his draft year but I definitely could see him having a role on a 2nd pair as a defensive guy. His decision making have really improve has much with the puck then without.

Really happy he’s not playing against us in the playoff (even though I wish he would be healthy for his career)
I have the same perception of Necas.

bud12

Oct 8, 2012
Matheson - Struble
Guhle - Mailloux
Hutson - Savard

I fully expect Harris & Barron to be traded…
No way they put Struble on his off side and on the 1st pair when he struggled on the bottom pair on his good side. Guhle will remain there for next year

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017

Yeah not a big fan of Necas either. People against trading for Zegras stating he is soft. IMO Necas is a much softer player than Z

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
I wonder if they'd do something around Guenther. He'd look amazing next to Dach.

Geekie, But, Hrabal and Doan are all of great interest as prospects too.

Of course the 6th overall too.
Hronek went for 17 and 43, Chychrun for 12, 49, and a 2026 2nd, and Ekholm went for a 1st, 4th, Schaefer, and Barrie. I'd be pretty surprised if Matheson returned more than any of those guys, and I can't imagine Guenther or 6OA would be on the table at all unless we're including something else pretty significant.

Reactions: Deus ex machina

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
Yeah not a big fan of Necas either. People against trading for Zegras stating he is soft. IMO Necas is a much softer player than Z
There is no such thing as "much softer player than Z".
Z 125 hits in 211 GP
Necas 302 hits in 362 GP
Necas playing more than 1 minute less TOI per game.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
Would you guys offer up Struble/Harris + WPG 1st for Michael Rasmussen? Would DET accept? If not, what would it take from DET?

He seems like an even bigger Zacha who despite being 25 will still get better over the next 5 years. Bruins capitalized on Zacha, could be the same with Ras.

He's been ~ a 30 point player in the NHL, so I don't think the idea of DET giving up on him is crazy.

Reactions: VirginiaMtlExpat

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
There is no such thing as "much softer player than Z".
Z 125 hits in 211 GP
Necas 302 hits in 362 GP
Necas playing more than 1 minute less TOI per game.

I watch both play and Zegras has a lot more ''dog'' in him than Necas. Hes not a big hitter but hes intense. You give me the number of hits, you realize they have a very similar ratio.

I dont see the same drive in Necas that I see in Zegras

Reactions: Vachon23

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

Carolina is surely a top team for KH to make a play this summer.
Not entirely sold on the concept that we need a Necas, although a nice addition we have options coming up and a top pick this year.

But it's always a matter of the price in the end, the price for Necas might be more easy to swallow than the one for Zegras simply because Carolina would value what we have (D) a whole lot more than a team like Anaheim.

Who knows, maybe the talks will bring up Jarvis, he also need a new deal with a big raise......

Ad

Upcoming events

• Melbourne Demons @ West Coast Eagles
    Melbourne Demons @ West Coast Eagles
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $2,800.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Austria vs Norway
    Austria vs Norway
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $245.00