Post-Game Talk: Penguins 5, Red Wings 2 - #81, #19 Almost Get HT's; ZAR Almost Does Something

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
50/50... Seems about right.

So really 10%....

10percent.jpg

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I don't see why anyone is complaing about ZAR. He's fine on line 4. Who do you want? Grant?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I remember the talk of finding a space for Wilson. If the space is 13th forward, with ZAR sent back down and Grant put back in the line up. I will never understanding people who say ZAR's a good bottom 6 forward who's pushed too high on occasion. Its the opposite. He's a semi-useful top 6 prospect because of his IQ and ability to score garbage goals whose lack of all round game is brutally exposed when in the bottom 6 without top 6 talent to carry him.

That Peanut Butter Kangaroo line though. That might be something.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
One thing about the wings, they are really fast upfront. This was a good test in that regard. Not too many teams with that level of speed in transition.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Hm. Weird, Brassard is fine when he isn’t constantly sunk with ass linemates.

I'm not sure L2 and L3 both aren't fine as is IF you had 3 pairings, each one of which legitimately had a guy who could make smart, quick, consistent decisions with the puck and truly contribute to transition and in zone offense. Or failing that IF you found a Dumo with more puck skills to rent to pair with Schultz so you could ride the **** out of your top two pairs and use the 3rd pair like Anaheim did when they had Pronger and Neidermeyer.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
++++ Kessel: And props to Pearson and Brassard who were much better today. Especially Pearson. I thought Kessel was unreal and it really blows my mind why people want to move this guy. He changes the game so quickly.

++++ Sid line: Sid was incredible and I thought Rust was REALLY strong. Jake looked more of a 3rd wheel tonight and that's a good thing. (Congrats on the contract, too! Well deserved)

+++ Murray: A lot of luck and a lot of good saves. But #30 keeps building momentum! Can't deny that.

++ I'm really digging the Riikola/Maatta pairing. I just felt from an eye test tonight they look so strong in comparison to Oleksiak/Maatta. I think they have good chemistry and I like how they play together.

----- Officiating: What is going on? The amount of holding is WAY up in the league. As soon as the Pens saw Detroit getting away with it, they started holding left/right, too. There is so much interference all throughout the game. Especially in the neutral and up the ice. I really hate it. It feels like the refs are just allowing all this holding. Blatantly in front of the ref there is holding and the ref wont' call it.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
1. That sequence is so bad Geno deserves the blame there.

2. IF Maatta skates back and to the left, Geno dishes to him and nobody is even close . . . he can skate in and get off a clean shot from the circle. Or, a defenseman who isn't so slow could.

Yeah, Geno tried to be too cute there. He does deserve blame for that. I pointed out Maatta because that play shows how bad his decision-making has been this year.

dig1

Mar 1, 2015
one negative. I dont understand why #15 played 9:35. He could have played him a bit more. I feel like coach needs to save the big horses for the end of the year schedule bc it is brutal. I dont know if playing Crosby Malkin +59 for over 17 min is really a recipe for success. I hate the fact that Crosby is averaging 19 minutes a night right now. I remember in 2016, there were plenty games where he only was on the ice for 15 or 16 min.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I'm not sure L2 and L3 both aren't fine as is IF you had 3 pairings, each one of which legitimately had a guy who could make smart, quick, consistent decisions with the puck and truly contribute to transition and in zone offense. Or failing that IF you found a Dumo with more puck skills to rent to pair with Schultz so you could ride the **** out of your top two pairs and use the 3rd pair like Anaheim did when they had Pronger and Neidermeyer.

Too bad our genius GM is too quick to call out Brassard, but says nothing about 30+ GA in 30+ game Jack Johnson or Olli Scuderi with 0 goals on the season.

Reactions: turtle27 and KIRK

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
I don't see why anyone is complaing about ZAR. He's fine on line 4. Who do you want? Grant?

I can see why people complain. Not sure options are better or worse, though.

++++ Kessel: And props to Pearson and Brassard who were much better today. Especially Pearson. I thought Kessel was unreal and it really blows my mind why people want to move this guy. He changes the game so quickly
----- Officiating: What is going on? The amount of holding is WAY up in the league. As soon as the Pens saw Detroit getting away with it, they started holding left/right, too. There is so much interference all throughout the game. Especially in the neutral and up the ice. I really hate it. It feels like the refs are just allowing all this holding. Blatantly in front of the ref there is holding and the ref wont' call it.

Kessel, with a BACKHAND goal! BACKHAND!!! What universe is this?

Also, am I crazy, or was there a legit rumor that the NHL told refs to stop calling shit??? I swear they were told to tone down the penalties recently....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad