Post-Game Talk: Penguins 4, Islanders 1 - What The **** Was That?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jesse

Jun 28, 2005
Pittsburgh
I think it was Rupp or Weekes who constantly say "Don't sleep on this team. They look really good." So I think the Sabres and Devils could do damage to us when people believe we should walk through them. This isn't the prime of the Pens. These younger teams are going to frustrate us and I could see us being like .500 against these teams.

It's the sole reason why most analytical models have the Penguins finishing 2nd in the division is the friendly nature of their schedule in the second half.

Reactions: BHD

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
There is a thread in the History of Hockey forum where people are trying to say the 97 wings beat the 92 Pens in a best of 7 lol

The juggernaut that set the all time playoff wins streak record, that didn’t even need Lemieux to keep it going, would absolutely roll the Wings.

It's almost like fans are bad at evaluating players objectively. Especially Floridians.

Their ‘Porcelain Giant’ and ‘McSpazz’ takes were pretty spot on.

So I was concerned about MM, but you know, figured I’d give him like a period or two before I hated him.

It's because we traded Swedish Muscle Daddy and people have weird hangups about that. If the trade was Faces of Math for... say, McCann+, people would have likely been fine with it.

I get it... MM isn’t hardcore and diverse enough to hang with Meshuggah and Odin, so we must hate him.

Last edited:

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Boy did he stand out tonight. And when he made a mistake he quickly recovered. Incredible mobility. His hockey IQ isn't as bad as advertised either. No einstein, but not too bad. So far so good. Ceci with a decent game himself.

I'm still leery of him in his own zone in the playoffs. He's a highly instinctive player and when he's clicking it looks amazing.

That said, we gotta make the playoffs first and he looks like he's going to be a tremendous help there.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Not to be Debbie Downer, but I'm still skeptical of BART long term as L3. I'm all aboard Teddy B. as the 3C and have been since before the season. I'm just a little nervous with ZAR-Tanev being able to produce enough long term. I think Tanev is fine as a 3rd wheel on a L3 and ZAR looks better and lighter on his feet. But what happens when ZAR settles into the grind of the season? I'm not saying it can't continue, but I think there needs to be a contingency plan in case it doesn't.

As a Matheson critic, he has been great since coming back. I just wonder when one of these creative offensive plays will backfire and then the coaching staff beats that shit out of him. The hit on Barzal, while not the most vicious, was bad. If someone did that to one of the Penguins best players, we'd all want retaliation, especially if that player had a history with the Pens. So I have no problem with Martin gooning it up at the end. That's what he should do.

Encouraging couple of games for Jarry. It's almost like playing better defense in front of him makes him look better.

Glad Sully FINALLY tried Kap with Crosby and glad that both top 2 lines scored so he (hopefully) won't abandon it right away.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
The juggernaut that set the all time playoff wins streak record, that didn’t even need Lemieux to keep it going, would absolutely roll the Wings.

Their ‘Porcelain Giant’ and ‘McSpazz’ takes were pretty spot on.

So I was concerned about MM, but you know, figured I’d give him like a period or two before I hated him.

I get it... MM isn’t hardcore and diverse enough to hang with Meshuggah and Odin, so we must hate him.

The guy hasn't played hockey in almost a year? Ten months?

When he interviewed on the first or second game back from injury he said he was rusty and the puck was jumping off of his stick and he made the facial expression that said, 'I ain't THAT ****in' bad.... gimmi a minute to get to speed here'...

The guy played SEVEN got damn games... people need to give it a minute.
Even when he played three - four games.... it was deemed a failure trade.

Only thing I dont like is that this trade involved horny... but then we can't have both.... if I had to pick.... I donno... didn't think about it until now.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Not to be Debbie Downer, but I'm still skeptical of BART long term as L3. I'm all aboard Teddy B. as the 3C and have been since before the season. I'm just a little nervous with ZAR-Tanev being able to produce enough long term. I think Tanev is fine as a 3rd wheel on a L3 and ZAR looks better and lighter on his feet. But what happens when ZAR settles into the grind of the season? I'm not saying it can't continue, but I think there needs to be a contingency plan in case it doesn't.

I think ZAR and Tanev should both fall around 30 points over a full 82 game schedule, and they're currently murdering other teams analytically. Even if that line had 0 goals on the year so far, I'd still be really happy with how they've played. They're generating a lot of chances and it seems like ZAR has improved his scoring touch from where he was at last year.

I really don't see any issues with that 3rd line. If you're concerned about production beyond your top-6, I think you need to focus on beefing up your 4th line to become a 3B line more than you need to worry about adding to the 3A line.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I think ZAR and Tanev should both fall around 30 points over a full 82 game schedule, and they're currently murdering other teams analytically. Even if that line had 0 goals on the year so far, I'd still be really happy with how they've played. They're generating a lot of chances and it seems like ZAR has improved his scoring touch from where he was at last year.

I really don't see any issues with that 3rd line. If you're concerned about production beyond your top-6, I think you need to focus on beefing up your 4th line to become a 3B line more than you need to worry about adding to the 3A line.

Our 4th line really does suck. Jankowski and Lafferty are useless. Sceviour at least occasionally pops in a goal but is a bit of a nothing player otherwise.

Beefing that line up will be essential to having any playoff success. Might also need to beef it up just to make the playoffs.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Our 4th line really does suck. Jankowski and Lafferty are useless. Sceviour at least occasionally pops in a goal but is a bit of a nothing player otherwise.

Beefing that line up will be essential to having any playoff success. Might also need to beef it up just to make the playoffs.

I mean they have McCann and ERod coming back in the next 2-3 weeks I’m assuming...that should improve the fourth line and provide a little more offensive upside there...I could see ERod-McCann-Sceviour fourth line

Reactions: Pancakes

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007

They barely even played.
Laff 7 min
Jank 6 min
DOC 5 min

I wouldn't say the 4th line is crucial to _any_ playoff success, but they do need to fix that stain to some degree.

I personally don't think it requires immediate concern compared to other issues.

Reactions: ncm7772

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Re BART - BART starting great and declining isn't a new thing. I'd be wary of it repeating too. Also in the "seen this before" column - ZAR looking good for 5 games before injuring himself - looks like we might be due.

Still, right now you ride them.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
They barely even played.
Laff 7 min
Jank 6 min
DOC 5 min

I wouldn't say the 4th line is crucial to _any_ playoff success, but they do need to fix that stain to some degree.

I personally don't think it requires immediate concern compared to other issues.

I guess with the shorter schedule we can probably keep being essentially a three line team and get away with it.

But it is really nice in the playoffs to be able to roll 4 lines when needed.

Reactions: LOGiK

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I think you need to acquire a 4th line LWer and run with LWer-McCann-Rodrigues as your 4th line. Ideally they can get another guy in the Tanev mold, I'd be pretty satisfied with that 4th line.

But at that point, I'm not sure if you have the roster space to make that kind of addition without trading a guy or 2.

Reactions: Pancakes

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016

Sceviour hasn’t scored in a month. One of his two goals was basically an empty net goal. He doesn’t score enough to justify playing him. He’s better than Lafferty and Jank, but they are awful.

McCann is vanilla AF, but at least he will knock one of these fourth line clowns out of the lineup.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
I felt like I was taking crazy pills yesterday when people told me they felt good about the Penguins "because they had a bunch of games against the Devils coming up."

When has this team ever played great against New Jersey aside from the 1999 playoffs?

LOL. Also, the Devils have a higher point % than the Pens. People assuming they’re an easy win are either just dumb or at the least, ignorant.

Reactions: Andy99 and LOGiK

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I felt like I was taking crazy pills yesterday when people told me they felt good about the Penguins "because they had a bunch of games against the Devils coming up."

When has this team ever played great against New Jersey aside from the 1999 playoffs?

Maybe I’m just foolishly high on Hischer, but the fact they are doing this without him really makes me think they are going to be a dark horse. Plus I don’t think people know how good Blackwood was the last couple years because of their D.

Reactions: Andy99 and BHD

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Sceviour hasn’t scored in a month. One of his two goals was basically an empty net goal. He doesn’t score enough to justify playing him. He’s better than Lafferty and Jank, but they are awful.

McCann is vanilla AF, but at least he will knock one of these fourth line clowns out of the lineup.

Yeah I think Sceviour is a fine #13 or 14 forward. Lafftery and Jankowski are kinda even worse than that tbh. I'd prefer not to have them as anything but AHL call-ups.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I guess with the shorter schedule we can probably keep being essentially a three line team and get away with it.

But it is really nice in the playoffs to be able to roll 4 lines when needed.

Agree 100%

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Don't care about the 4th line.

They should be seeing 1-2 shifts/period.

I only care about Jankowski because he's bringing his cruddiness onto the PK as well. Maybe we need another F who can take FOs on the PK there. Can Erod PK?

LiffLaff

Crazy? Me?
Feb 22, 2010
Vardal
If the D keeps playing like they have for the last few games, would it be possible to build a new third/fourth line by trading Dumo and McCann for some thougher, harder to play against type players? Would you, or would you wait til the offseason and re-asses, and maybe do a more futures based trade for who ever we choose to move?

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
LOL. Also, the Devils have a higher point % than the Pens. People assuming they’re an easy win are either just dumb or at the least, ignorant.

This is a weird season. Only playing divisional teams is really interesting.
I'm curious to see how it pans out come playoff race time in the last 10-15 games.

Will there be a close line from 2nd 3rd 4th and 5th (maybe even 6th place) or will it be definitive in the playoffs / out of the playoffs.

It's hard to tell and even more difficult with teams having games postponed and having vastly differing GP numbers...

My guess is there will be a close 5th place team (in pens div) that will miss the post season by less than 10 points... I sure hope it isn't the penguins.
1 team will flat out stink, buffalo. Rags will just trail along underperforming, taking big wins from teams here and there.... as for the debs I donno... haven't really seen them this year.

Reactions: ncm7772

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
If the D keeps playing like they have for the last few games, would it be possible to build a new third/fourth line by trading Dumo and McCann for some thougher, harder to play against type players? Would you, or would you wait til the offseason and re-asses, and maybe do a more futures based trade for who ever we choose to move?

Imo if the team is climbing the standings and looking like a contender in the next 4-5 weeks, I could see Hextall/Burke definitely bringing in some more long pants...lol...McCann is a trade candidate but I doubt Dumo is despite his issues...he’s done it before in the POs and Petts and POJ may not be trusted...if any LD is a candidate for a trade when healthy (qualifier: Pens never are) it’s probably Riikola...the team will nibble along the edges only if we’re still in this thing

Reactions: LiffLaff
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad