Post-Game Talk: Penguins 4, Islanders 0 - iPad Supplants Phil as Team MVP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Why is it only you and I see what Simon does? He was a huge reason that line was so dominant tonight and would have had three points if Letang didn't flub on a wide open net.

I swear some people don't know what they are watching if they don't see splashy plays and ****.

Simon is like a rabid wolverine on the boards and always finds ways to win those battles and make quick reads the moment he has the puck. It's a rare trait.

Hey. I've been a big Simon fan since his draft.

He reminds me of Names from Tampa. Skilled but does the dirty work too and is a fine 3rd wheel.

Another guy i lovee is Blueger. Hope he gets the call soon.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Looking at the Penguins roster, it's actually really awkward with the wingers. You have Sprong, Kessel, Sheary, Guentzel and Simon as skilled wingers with only Hagelin, Hornqvist and Rust as defensive/gritty wingers. You also only have 6 top-9 wing spots, and all of those guys should be playing in the top-9. I'm interested to see how JR moves forward, the Penguins have a problematic amount of NHL ready wingers right now it seems like.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
It's less than a sum of its parts and they haven't been producing at where they should be producing at, but they haven't been bad at ES this year. At least in terms of 2nd lines, they have been good in terms of producing. They should definitely be better, but they have been fine statistically on the year.

Nah, it's been pretty bad. Geno needs a guy presently not in the organization for one of his wings.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Why is it only you and I see what Simon does? He was a huge reason that line was so dominant tonight and would have had three points if Letang didn't flub on a wide open net.

I swear some people don't know what they are watching if they don't see splashy plays and ****.

Simon is like a rabid wolverine on the boards and always finds ways to win those battles and make quick reads the moment he has the puck. It's a rare trait.

How dare you, again. :laugh: But for real - it's not just me either. A lot of people gave him praise throughout the game.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
It's too early for I told you so's but the system looked different last night against Carolina in our D zone and you could see what happened when the Islander D couldn't make the tough plays at the blueline that the Hurricanes managed. We got rewarded with puck possession for long stretches AND opportunities on the rush. We were also timing our support on 50 50 battles better tonight.

We're still sloppy and a long way off, but I'm feeling a lot more optimistic that we're headed in the right direction now.

Reactions: Tom Hanks and KIRK

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Looking at the Penguins roster, it's actually really awkward with the wingers. You have Sprong, Kessel, Sheary, Guentzel and Simon as skilled wingers with only Hagelin, Hornqvist and Rust as defensive/gritty wingers. You also only have 6 top-9 wing spots, and all of those guys should be playing in the top-9. I'm interested to see how JR moves forward, the Penguins have a problematic amount of NHL ready wingers right now it seems like.

I think you trade Sheary. He's good and will be great with the right team that needs a skilled scorer. But him and Jake aren't good options to have on the same team long term. I love Sheary to

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015

I think the odd guys out are Sheary and Hags. Simon can take Sheary's spot. And someone like Di Pauli can take Hagelin's spot.

Simon-Sid-Sprong
Guentzel-Malkin-Rust
Hornqvist? -xxx- Kessel

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
It's too early for I told you so's but the system looked different last night against Carolina in our D zone and you could see what happened when the Islander D couldn't make the tough plays at the blueline that the Hurricanes managed. We got rewarded with puck possession for long stretches AND opportunities on the rush. We were also timing our support on 50 50 battles better tonight.

We're still sloppy and a long way off, but I'm feeling a lot more optimistic that we're headed in the right direction now.

Boy if they would have won last night and then had this showing. I'd be through the roof right now.

Reactions: SEALBound

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I think you trade Sheary. He's good and will be great with the right team that needs a skilled scorer. But him and Jake aren't good options to have on the same team long term. I love Sheary to

Sure. For what. He doesn't have a lot of value.

And, the 'I think you trade Hagelin' crowd is especially cute . . . if it were that simple, JR would've done it 11 months ago.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I thought everyone played really well. Very happy to see that SSS line (muahahahahahaha!) do well :)

Simon-Sid-Sprong
Horny-Malkin-Kessel
Jake-3C-Rust
Kuhn-Sheahan-Reaves

Assume Hags, Sheary, Cole (or some combo) out for a 3C

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Boy if they would have won last night and then had this showing. I'd be through the roof right now.

This one really makes it tricky.

What they've been watching the last week or so is to see if there's something worth saving for this year or if it should be about building towards next year. Last night, one thought the answer finally was obvious . . . and then tonight happened. Kind of puts them in a bit of a pickle.

PERSONALLY, I'd add a winger for Geno . . . see if that winger does for Geno what Sprong (and Simon BTW) did for Sid tonight.

If that takes and if it keeps trending positively for Sid, then things get interesting . . .

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Sure. For what. He doesn't have a lot of value.

And, the 'I think you trade Hagelin' crowd is especially cute . . . if it were that simple, JR would've done it 11 months ago.

I have to believe Sheary holds value. The kid has scored a bunch of goals, big goals in playoffs as well. If he gets matched with the right team, he'll be a top 6 fixture for years.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I have to believe Sheary holds value. The kid has scored a bunch of goals, big goals in playoffs as well. If he gets matched with the right team, he'll be a top 6 fixture for years.

How many big goals when he wasn't playing with Sid?

Reactions: ncm7772

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013

Hurricanes were super impressive. Their passing was so crisp and their D are very poised.

Man, if Horny were a true LW it would make things so much more convenient.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
We really need to follow up this performance on sunday with a strong performance. At least build a little momentum.

Reactions: Andy99

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA

Is it possible to *rent* Shero for a couple weeks? Or maybe put all of his previous trades into a computer code and produce some kind of automated version of him? Could take care of this abundance of skilled wingers problem mighty quick.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
The whole travel delay thing is the definition of #firstworldproblems

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think the odd guys out are Sheary and Hags. Simon can take Sheary's spot. And someone like Di Pauli can take Hagelin's spot.

Simon-Sid-Sprong
Guentzel-Malkin-Rust
Hornqvist? -xxx- Kessel

The problem is that you have an imbalance on LW and RW, because Hornqvist isn't a LW. I'm also not sold on Simon being an everyday player yet. Sprong and Crosby sticking together without Malkin and Kessel together doesn't seem exactly feasible to me.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Hey. I've been a big Simon fan since his draft.

He reminds me of Names from Tampa. Skilled but does the dirty work too and is a fine 3rd wheel.

Another guy i lovee is Blueger. Hope he gets the call soon.

Ya I shouldn't cast a big net like that, but I made the mistake of reading the GDT to see reactions to Sprong's goals, and was truly rolling my eyes at how many people were pissing on Simon.

Maybe he doesn't stick, but if people didn't see what he was doing tonight all over the ice, I'm afraid there is a whole lot of nuts and bolts these people need to learn.

Last edited:

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
How dare you, again. :laugh: But for real - it's not just me either. A lot of people gave him praise throughout the game.

Simon is a lot like Sheary but a bit less spastic and more of a playmaker. Both of them go straight at the puck and just try to make stuff happen at full speed.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
The problem is that you have an imbalance on LW and RW, because Hornqvist isn't a LW. I'm also not sold on Simon being an everyday player yet. Sprong and Crosby sticking together without Malkin and Kessel together doesn't seem exactly feasible to me.

Make up your mind on Simon. Lol. After game one of his this year, you were calling him a sure fire top 9 player. Now you're not sure? I think he can complement Sid well. Maybe even PK.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
This one really makes it tricky.

What they've been watching the last week or so is to see if there's something worth saving for this year or if it should be about building towards next year. Last night, one thought the answer finally was obvious . . . and then tonight happened. Kind of puts them in a bit of a pickle.

PERSONALLY, I'd add a winger for Geno . . . see if that winger does for Geno what Sprong (and Simon BTW) did for Sid tonight.

If that takes and if it keeps trending positively for Sid, then things get interesting . . .

Unless and until we have a trade for a LW for Geno, what's wrong with trying ZAR or Di Pauli there? It beats Hornqvist or at least it's worth a shot

S-C-S
ZAR etc- G- Phil
Sheary-Jake-Horny

I don't see much other options right now for a lineup that works. Hags has been straight up trash and needs to sit for awhile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad