Post-Game Talk: Penguins 4, Islanders 0 - iPad Supplants Phil as Team MVP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jrtu

Jun 22, 2010
About time that Sid comes up with one of these performances. We been waiting long enough for one.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
He's good in front at getting rebounds and has slick hands in tight. He just goes about it differently than Hornqvist.

Kane can PK very well though which is a big advantage over Hornqvist.

Of course, Hornqvist is a proven cup commodity and I don't take that lightly though.

I'd prefer both, but if it did become a reality, they would have to choose one or the other this summer I'd imagine.

With Hornqvist, you always have to ask where and with whom he fits, and there definitely are limits to both.

With Kane, those questions aren't necessary.

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
The Bruins game is at home and then we have 5 days off. Have to empty the tank and take that game.
Yep, it makes it even more important. We always have trouble vs the Bruins and tbh, everyone has, right now. You have to earn everything vs them. If you don´t play 100%, you pay for it. Need to start winning some of those games tho, otherwise we go nowhere. Then we have DET and NYR at home after the break, those are playable games but the win vs the Bruins can go a long way for this team. As Sully said tonight, they need to play like it´s a playoffs already.

Reactions: Pancakes

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Bad part of Sprong and Sid meshing well is makes Horny an odd placement on the RW. Especially with Jake as the interim 3C. Unless you put him with Sheahan on the 4th (or 3B depending on how you look at it).

Simon was good tonight. Kind of seems like Sheary/Rust mash up. Not sure he's long for Sid's wing though.

I'm not sure I like having too many wingers ...

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Bad part of Sprong and Sid meshing well is makes Horny an odd placement on the RW. Especially with Jake as the interim 3C. Unless you put him with Sheahan on the 4th (or 3B depending on how you look at it).

Simon was good tonight. Kind of seems like Sheary/Rust mash up.

Well, Hornqvist surprisingly didn't mesh with Malkin tonight. Maybe if Sully tries it again on Sunday things will be different.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011

Simon was good tonight. Kind of seems like Sheary/Rust mash up. Not sure he's long for Sid's wing though.

I'll actually say that Guentzel looked pretty decent at center tonight from my vantage point at the game. That line was decent. Sheary kinda sucked, but Phil and Jake were on it.

Not sure Jake is a natural enough center for that to work out for more than short term though.

Reactions: Soda Popinski

Deczola73

Dec 23, 2017
At this point I would split the starts 50-50 with Jarry and Murray, Jarry has earned it and has outplayed Murray this season.

Lustaf

Nov 26, 2008
Victoria, BC
Sure. For what. He doesn't have a lot of value.

And, the 'I think you trade Hagelin' crowd is especially cute . . . if it were that simple, JR would've done it 11 months ago.

Do you get the sense that his value wasn't all that high to begin with and that this season hasn't helped the mentality that he is a by product of Sid and Geno?

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
At this point I would split the starts 50-50 with Jarry and Murray, Jarry has earned it and has outplayed Murray this season.

At least for the short term Jarry should be getting a lot of starts, I agree.

We're not in a position right now where we can be cute about how we do things. Right now it has to be results based. We're in a playoff race. If we were comfortably in I'd be fine with letting Murray work through his problems, but we're not. If Jarry is outplaying him, Jarry should be in. We need the points too desperately right now.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

I doubt even Sprong is long for Sid's line given how the blender is spinning this season.

As soon as they have a bad game or two, I won't be surprised to see Crosby's other children called back home.

I'll actually say that Guentzel looked pretty decent at center tonight from my vantage point at the game. That line was decent. Sheary kinda sucked, but Phil and Jake were on it.

Not sure Jake is a natural enough center for that to work out for more than short term though.

Not digging Guentzel at pivot just yet, but we'll see.

Not sure why TB isn't being given a shot right now with Rowney out. If the team could live without Kuhn I mean...

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Jarry will play the Bruins now, I guess. Maybe even the next game if he wins that. I mean, we are not there yet, but things are starting to be interesting. And it´s good, very good. I will explain.. Murray needs to wake up, that much is clear. He either wakes up and plays well and earns his number1 position(good scenario) or we have other very good goalie waiting for it(good scenario).. I think, using this logic, it´s more likely than not that our goaltending will be competent the rest of the season , no matter who wins this "battle".

Last edited:

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
This isn't the first time and it won't be the last time a backup goes on a nice streak when a starter struggles. Ride Jarry. It's a non issue. Big Mur will figure it out and get back to what he does best. Jarry is the nice spark we need. Sprong is the nice excitement we need. Let's go.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
It's time to start getting ideal wings for our top 2 Centers and a 3C. You just saw what you can get back when you provide the right fit. Sid/Sprong & Simon just provided us with a little taste.

Last edited:
Reactions: KIRK

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I doubt even Sprong is long for Sid's line given how the blender is spinning this season.

As soon as they have a bad game or two, I won't be surprised to see Crosby's other children called back home.

Not digging Guentzel at pivot just yet, but we'll see.

Not sure why TB isn't being given a shot right now with Rowney out. If the team could live without Kuhn I mean...

Someone has to go down for TB to come up. We’re right up against the cap. The only two waiver exempt guys are Sprong and Simon. I’d imagine they don’t want to lose Kuhnhackl or Corrado to waivers.

Reactions: vodeni

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
Well, Hornqvist surprisingly didn't mesh with Malkin tonight. Maybe if Sully tries it again on Sunday things will be different.
FxLc79

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Only watched the 1st period and at WJC gold intermission (woo!), but it's great to hear Sid looked like vintage Sid, Sprong was sniping, and Jarry was stellar again.

I guess this means we shouldn't give up on the Pens this year just yet, eh?

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
This isn't the first time and it won't be the last time a backup goes on a nice streak when a starter struggles. Ride Jarry. It's a non issue. Big Mur will figure it out and get back to what he does best. Jarry is the nice spark we need. Sprong is the nice excitement we need. Let's go.

Yep. We can't squander points right now. The better goalie at the moment needs to be playing. MM is still the starter long term. But until Jarry slows down, keep him in. Kid is hot right now.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Someone has to go down for TB to come up. We’re right up against the cap. The only two waiver exempt guys are Sprong and Simon. I’d imagine they don’t want to lose Kuhnhackl or Corrado to waivers.

Ya I know, hence the Kuhn comment.

I haven't been shy about my preference for him to just go away...

Reactions: Tom Hanks

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
It's weird because Kuhn was part of my favorite 4th line ever - Kuhn/Rust with Cully. That line was crazy good. But watching that Blueger, ZAR, and Sprong line - I was really flabbergasted by why they couldn't be our 4th line. You can trust them for 9-10 minutes a game and they are crazy skilled.

But I guess i'm calling it out for no reason as it won't happen. Sprong should be in the top 6 moving forward until he absolutely hits a wall. And even then he should be used in a full skill lineup.

The frustration just reminds me of Guentzel. I know i'm not a scout. I know i'm not at practice. I know i'm not in WBS to see their games. But you just see it with these kids and you sit there and hear a bunch of bullshit as to why they aren't up. And then they come up and do THAT. We haven't had a guy go to the net and snipe top right all season long like Sprong did tonight. We hurt for goals and he kept getting passed by for... nobodies.

Oh well. DON'T TRADE SPRONG. :laugh:

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Only watched the 1st period and at WJC gold intermission (woo!), but it's great to hear Sid looked like vintage Sid, Sprong was sniping, and Jarry was stellar again.

I guess this means we shouldn't give up on the Pens this year just yet, eh?

Well we still have 10 b2b's left. They''ll probably have to go something like 25-14 with their remaining games to sneak in with one of the last wildcards. I'm pretty confident in saying the odds are very much against them.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Well we still have 10 b2b's left. They''ll probably have to go something like 25-14 with their remaining games to sneak in with one of the last wildcards. I'm pretty confident in saying the odds are very much against them.

At the same time it wouldn't surprise me one bit to watch this team just suddenly flip a switch and win 10 straight. The Pens are weird like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad