Post-Game Talk: Penguins 4, Islanders 0 - iPad Supplants Phil as Team MVP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Looking at the Penguins roster, it's actually really awkward with the wingers. You have Sprong, Kessel, Sheary, Guentzel and Simon as skilled wingers with only Hagelin, Hornqvist and Rust as defensive/gritty wingers. You also only have 6 top-9 wing spots, and all of those guys should be playing in the top-9. I'm interested to see how JR moves forward, the Penguins have a problematic amount of NHL ready wingers right now it seems like.
It is good to have depth at wing, but depth at center is more important. The book is out on Simon still.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Make up your mind on Simon. Lol. After game one of his this year, you were calling him a sure fire top 9 player. Now you're not sure? I think he can complement Sid well. Maybe even PK.

No I wasn't, I was saying he's a legit NHLer. I didn't say anything beyond that. That's still where I'm at, I just don't know if he's an everyday player. Sure, he has 4 points in 8 games, but he also went pointless for 6 straight.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Simon is a lot like Sheary but a bit less spastic and more of a playmaker. Both of them go straight at the puck and just try to make stuff happen at full speed.

Simon definitely creates time and space alot better than Sheary does. He knows how to stop and start, take his time and make a play. Sheary has no idea how to do anything but go 100% full speed all the time. Complete spas.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I went to the game. Was surprised to see the performance I did. That Sid-Sprong-Simon line was lights out good. Sid had his best game of the year imo.

Third line was decent. Malkin's line was up and down. Our defense looked solid enough all in all. Even Letang. The only line I thought was crappy tonight was the She-bang/Reaves/Kuhn line. They got pinned in our end zone all night.

If Sprong/Simon can light Sid's fire like they did tonight we can climb back into this thing, but I don't want to get ahead of myself. We've shown signs of life before only to come back the next game and lay a fart on the ice. Let's see them do this for three-four games in a row before we get excited. Hell I'd settle for two good games in a row at this point.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
How dare you, again. :laugh: But for real - it's not just me either. A lot of people gave him praise throughout the game.

Simon is like my prospect baby and I get insta-rage when people say dumb shit about him when he's having a great game.

Reactions: ColePens

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I think the kid can score, he is reliant on getting the right fit with linemates. He's not bring an elite wing, but we don't need one. We need an LW that will work with Geno, that's it.

You need a LW who can work with Geno and Phil, because there's no point to adding a LW for Geno if you're going to play Horny on his right side.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Yeah, Simon looks composed out there. His decision-making and passing makes him a fit with other skilled players (e.g., Sid). Not sure how much of that will translate to numbers though.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I can tell you from being at the game tonight that Sprong was skating with a lot of authority. That's the kind of game he needs to bring. Fearless and involved. He wasn't sitting back and reading the play he was making it happen.

Kessel had that same type of authority with everything he did out there whether stickhandling, skating, shooting...Phil was impressive in person. Should have had an assist if Guentzel hadn't shot that one puck right into Halak.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
I can tell you from being at the game tonight that Sprong was skating with a lot of authority. That's the kind of game he needs to bring. Fearless and involved. He wasn't sitting back and reading the play he was making it happen.

Kessel had that same type of authority with everything he did out there whether stickhandling, skating, shooting...Phil was impressive in person. Should have had an assist if Guentzel hadn't shot that one puck right into Halak.

Yeah, Sprong brings that hunger and desire that hopefully the rest of the team can pick up by osmosis.

Reactions: Pancakes

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Also, can't help but rave about Sprong. He's doing so much more off the puck than last time he was up. He's exactly where you want him to be all the time and he's clearly reading the play really well. He can still work on the 50 50 battles and stickwork, but he's looking like an impact player already.

SirBrad

Sep 30, 2009
Sprong's +3 leads the team. One of one 2 + players on the team. Ouch.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
KIRK.. when DON'T you want to add a winger for Geno? :laugh:

Well, since I've always called guys like Phil and Neal luxuries and guys like prime Kunitz and Malone needs, I suppose the answer is 6 years ago?

Of course, when an organization drafts midgets, it isn't to play with Geno, so the draft hasn't exactly presented options either.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Yeah, Sprong brings that hunger and desire that hopefully the rest of the team can pick up by osmosis.

You need a hell of a lot more than one or two mentally unfatigued bodies.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
You only think of moving Hornqvist if you land Kane. Otherwise, nope.

Even then. Kane is poop on the PP and doesn’t have PH’s net front game.

Having both of those guys for a playoff run would be sweet to watch. And nice complements to our core of wingers.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Well, since I've always called guys like Phil and Neal luxuries and guys like prime Kunitz and Malone needs, I suppose the answer is 6 years ago?

Of course, when an organization drafts midgets, it isn't to play with Geno, so the draft hasn't exactly presented options either.

The Hagelin-Geno-Horny line looked OK tonight. Geno looked almost...bored with it though. They did a good job but since neither Hags nor Horny can really pass the puck I'm not sure that's the best fit for Geno. To do anything 5v5 on that line he almost has to take it from our zone and just try to dangle his way through everyone.

They were plenty fine defensively though and had decent zone time. Just not a lot of creativity there.

I did really like Hags' game tonight though in person. He was extremely disruptive and looked like old Hags with how he was skating. The offense was still missing but more games like this and some points will come.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
The Hagelin-Geno-Horny line looked OK tonight. Geno looked almost...bored with it though. They did a good job but since neither Hags nor Horny can really pass the puck I'm not sure that's the best fit for Geno. To do anything 5v5 on that line he almost has to take it from our zone and just try to dangle his way through everyone.

They were plenty fine defensively though and had decent zone time. Just not a lot of creativity there.

I did really like Hags' game tonight though in person. He was extremely disruptive and looked like old Hags with how he was skating. The offense was still missing but more games like this and some points will come.

We've been discussing mental fatigue in a couple of threads.

Tonight, I saw proof of its impact given how Sid reacted to playing with two guys who were fresh mentally and physically.

As for Geno with Hagelin and Horny, 'bored' probably is best described as fatigued mentally. It's that way really with any combo, just as it's been for Sid until tonight. Too bad JR (and @ColePens) don't see it.

Reactions: Pancakes

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
As I said, this game was much better than Philly game and there were some serious positive signs that weren´t in PHI game (which I considered mostly a fluke). But our next game is vs the Bruins. That is extremely tough opponent, playing their best hockey in years right now. That will tell us a lot. I am scared as hell. But if we can win there, that would be HUGE.

Reactions: KIRK

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
As I said, this game was much better than Philly game and there were some serious positive signs that weren´t in PHI game (which I considered mostly a fluke). But our next game is vs the Bruins. That is extremely tough opponent, playing their best hockey in years right now. That will tell us a lot. I am scared as hell. But if we can win there, that would be HUGE.

The Bruins game is at home and then we have 5 days off. Have to empty the tank and take that game.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

It's at home. I almost wish it were on the road, because that would be even more telling.

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa
Very promising game, but we have to follow it up with a streak of good play. Not necessarily a winning streak (although that would be good too) but a streak of play where everyone looks engaged and committed. I've been fooled a few times earlier this season, so I'm hoping this wasn't a one off.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Even then. Kane is poop on the PP and doesn’t have PH’s net front game.

Having both of those guys for a playoff run would be sweet to watch. And nice complements to our core of wingers.

He's good in front at getting rebounds and has slick hands in tight. He just goes about it differently than Hornqvist.

Kane can PK very well though which is a big advantage over Hornqvist.

Of course, Hornqvist is a proven cup commodity and I don't take that lightly though.

I'd prefer both, but if it did become a reality, they would have to choose one or the other this summer I'd imagine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad