Post-Game Talk: Penguins 4, Islanders 0 - iPad Supplants Phil as Team MVP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Angry Kev has really irrational thoughts based off anger and frustration. Here we have happy Kev who just put a very thoughtful and solid perspective out there that i completely agree with.

Funny thing is, I used to be always angry. I was the happiest of happy kids and then starting around Junior high, Western PA tried to literally beat that happiness out of me. Finally after 100's of beatings I had enough, I became mean, quick tempered and ready for a fight at a moments notice. I basically threw away 15 years of my life with anger and hatred until one day I looked at my life and decided it was time for a change. It actually happened while while Shawshank Redemption where they said the line "get busy living or get busy dying".

I moved to the sea, where I always had a strong connection with the water. I am at peace most days and really try to enjoy each day to the fullest. It's hard work trying to be happy in a world where everything seems so negative. But I have found it, day in and day out my smile is back.

Yes I get angry here, I even get mad at myself when I do fly off of the handle. Not sure why, but this message board sometimes transports me back to those rough years in Western PA. But it's not all bad, which is why I stay.

TMI

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Murray´s glove is his fundamental flaw. Fleury was mentally weak and also his play with puck caused a lot of problems. Now Jarry looks pretty well-rounded. Sure, he is not the biggest goalie but it doesn´t look like issue since he is pretty athletic.

He's the same size height as MAF and weighs almost 20 lbs more.

Jarry is pretty much the perfect size for goalie.

Funny thing is, I used to be always angry. I was the happiest of happy kids and then starting around Junior high, Western PA tried to literally beat that happiness out of me. Finally after 100's of beatings I had enough, I became mean, quick tempered and ready for a fight at a moments notice. I basically threw away 15 years of my life with anger and hatred until one day I looked at my life and decided it was time for a change. It actually happened while while Shawshank Redemption where they said the line "get busy living or get busy dying".

I moved to the sea, where I always had a strong connection with the water. I am at peace most days and really try to enjoy each day to the fullest. It's hard work trying to be happy in a world where everything seems so negative. But I have found it, day in and day out my smile is back.

Yes I get angry here, I even get mad at myself when I do fly off of the handle. Not sure why, but this message board sometimes transports me back to those rough years in Western PA. But it's not all bad, which is why I stay.

TMI

Sounds like you grew up in the inner city like me.

You found the Sea, I found Canada. Same effect tho.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
For real. If Jarry keeps it up.....does Murray accept being a backup for the time being? Or is Sullivan gonna stick by his guy who won him two Cups?

Jarry should get the next game.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
For real. If Jarry keeps it up.....does Murray accept being a backup for the time being? Or is Sullivan gonna stick by his guy who won him two Cups?

Jarry should get the next game.

1) Let it play out. I think that's most important. If not, Chicago would have traded Crawford for Darling and the rest is history.

2) Murray is a crazy humble guy when it comes down to feeling deserved something. He is a 2nd year player, technically, with 2 Cups and he still has a lot to prove in his eyes. He will get better, hungrier, and it will play out just fine.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
To be fair, and even as a Sprong fan, players need to earn call-ups. Sprong had been running hot and cold in WBS to start the season, which is why Simon got the first call when they were tied in points. Since being passed over he forced their hand with some productive games including a HT, and then he got promoted.

I didn't think it'd amount to much before we got a 3C to balance our top 9, but Sprong got his shot with Sid and is already making an impact, so that's great.

The GM

Jun 7, 2012
I'm a huge Murray fan. I took a great pause though when he came out when asked if he could put on weight and he essentially said that he has tried everything he can to gain weight and he has been unsuccessful. It is highly unlikely that a goaltender who is 6'4 175 lbs can be a workhorse goaltender.

Jarry to me has the look of a goaltender who could turn into a perennial workhorse. The issue I have with Jarry is that he sometimes plays like Fleury where he is athletic just to be athletic where Murray is much more systematic in his position, which I like more. I do like how Jarry can play the puck though.

Ryan Miller did it for years and he looked like he should be staring in Coco instead of playing in the NHL

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
1) Let it play out. I think that's most important. If not, Chicago would have traded Crawford for Darling and the rest is history.

2) Murray is a crazy humble guy when it comes down to feeling deserved something. He is a 2nd year player, technically, with 2 Cups and he still has a lot to prove in his eyes. He will get better, hungrier, and it will play out just fine.

That more than anything. Truth be, we don't know how this will go for any of them.

Personally, I'm not a 2 cups guy. He may have been the guy to be in for the cup wins, but it is a team accomplishment. One that was lights out and then kept together. What they did was also unsustainable. That's in the past now. What they do here out is what will ultimately determine how they move forward.

Things are uncertain because that's just the nature of the business.

I want them all to succeed, (Crest speaking) but we all know that you can't keep them all when they do.

Reactions: ColePens

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Since we first saw Sprong in Pittsburgh, my favorite thing about his game was how he was always aggressive taking the puck hard to the net. He doesn't look for the pass - he's going to dig in and take it to the net himself. His 2nd goal was a thing of beauty and the exact attitude we need right now. Huge game by the kid and hopefully he can build on it.

Jarry is just a better goalie this year than Murray. What a unique situation we have been in between the pipes the last couple years.

Yeah Sprong has a bit of an attitude to him. That's actually a good thing in some ways because he's got that arrogance and that cockiness that will allow him to look off a Sidney Crosby on a 2 on 1 to go top shelf. How many other young kids would have done the same?

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Murray is getting another dog in February so he’ll be happy even if he’s sharing the goal with Jarry.

Reactions: SirBrad

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Ya I have no idea how to judge goalie prospects, never played the position or cared, but my unc and bro were goalies so I learned a few things from them.

I personally feel worried when Murray is in net right now and every shot has my ass tightening, whereas with Jarry, I just feel like the other team has to do something extraordinary to beat him.

Sullivan sees it to I'm sure, which is why I think Jarry will be their main goalie to try and help pull them out of this seesaw slump.
He sure does, he did not blink to put MM instead of MAF, Murray would not be playing against Carolina had it not been for that injury

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Anyone think the bye week will help this team? With all the talk of fatigue and lack of focus does anyone see it making a huge difference going forward?

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Anyone think the bye week will help this team? With all the talk of fatigue and lack of focus does anyone see it making a huge difference going forward?

Yep especially if we do well against Boston. Couple of wins, some confidence, a nice break and maybe a trade or two

Reactions: NEPA

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Amazing what happens when you put a playmaking center of Crosby's caliber with Sprong.

But I'm not going to get too excited. The Islanders have been playing as bad, if not worse, than the Pens recently. So it's like beating up on a dead corpse.

Yep. They've had some good games the past couple weeks, then followed them up with absolute stinkers. More of the same tomorrow? Hopefully not.

Excited about how they looked last night, but the pessimist in me is still highly concerned about the team.

I think Jarry playing so well kind of proves that Murray's struggles are just as much on him as the team in front of him

Jarry has been better lately, there's zero doubt about that.

Hoping this lights a fire under Big Murr. I'm sure he'll rebound and be back to his emotionless self.

Almost forgot what it was like to enjoy a Penguins game.

Last night was the type of game we were lucky enough to see many times the past two seasons. I'd love to see more!

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
We have to ride Jarry as long as he's playing like this. Murray can play the back-back and if his play improves where he plays better then Jarry then he gets the net. If this isn't a 100% merit based from here on out I will lose all respect for Sullivan.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
We have to ride Jarry as long as he's playing like this. Murray can play the back-back and if his play improves where he plays better then Jarry then he gets the net. If this isn't a 100% merit based from here on out I will lose all respect for Sullivan.

You really don't like Murray, do you? I don't see you post much about the goalie situation unless Murray's struggling.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
You really don't like Murray, do you? I don't see you post much about the goalie situation unless Murray's struggling.

i have no strong feelings for or against Murray. I've been pretty consistent I think. I do look at hockey through a goalie's lens quite a bit. Played/Playing the position being around a lot of goalies, coaching goalies, etc. So I do tend to comment on goalies more. Quite frankly there hasn't been a lot positive to comment on for Murray this season. I think part of why I point it out is that many here hither to have seemed to be ignore the fact that murray has been part of the problem this season. He owns part of that save percentage, not all of it perhaps. But the goalie and the team are intrinsically linked performance wise. It's now at the point where all the writers are pointing out his struggles, even the national writers have. I do believe he will turn it around, but this is the first time he has truely faced adversity of this sort. How he deals with it will tell us a lot.
I have been also consistent that it was time to move on from Fleury, no hard feelings on my part, absolutely the right decision at the time.
Simply the main attribute that Murray brought that we all liked was his calming influence, being steady in net, absorbing the puck and steadying the team when there is a break down defensively or when the other team gets a bit of offense. That has been completely absent this season

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

EvGeno

Looks like a basketball player!
Jul 11, 2009
Phoenix via Pgh
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad