Post-Game Talk: Penguins 4, Islanders 0 - iPad Supplants Phil as Team MVP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
++++ Jarry: Ride him going forward. He was so calm and poised. The team played much better in front of him and he made huge saves when needed. Ride him until he drops his level.

+++++++ Sprong: Another HF call, eh? We all wanted ZAR/Blueger/Sprong when we saw that line in the prospect camp. We were all disappointed when he didn't stay. We are more angry when he wasn't called up. And look at that, eh? Another one.

And he was tremendous along the boards and has been incredible at supporting our defense.

++++ Sid: Welcome back man. Thank you for being you.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
+Sid and Sprong.
+Simon to a lesser extent although he really doesnt look like a long term top 6 guy. Could see him on the third line but my prediction now is he's going to top out as a short term skill call up
+Oleksiak. Great trade, great skating and puck management. Did notice a few times he was out of position but that reach...
+Jarry is going to make things interesting going down the stretch

=fourth line - didn't notice them much, but thats what you want. Still think we have better options there, but with Sheahan its at least decent

-Horny, just a bad game. Still love him, but he looked dead

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
We need all the good play/luck we can get so keep riding Jarry. Some competition will be good for Murray too.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
BRING UP SPRONG SULLY!!!

I waited for so long to see Sid or Geno with Sprong... tonight, wish fullfilled.

Simon looked good on that line, hopefully he keeps it up. Seems like he has the IQ to play with Sid, lots of smart little chip plays reminded me of Kunitz and or Duper getting the puck quickly to Sid.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I just hope this helps fuel Sid to be dominant again. Only one game but he was engaged and played a very integral role in our victory. So important moving forward!

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Jarry is what this team needs now, hopefully he pushes Murray to get back to his levels...
I thought our defense was OK tonight, Oleks had several really good plays, CVole had some stupid but some good plays. Letang was really good and occasionaly awful (PP and shot selection), Maatta was OK, I hate Hunwick so...

First line was awesome, they'l keep Simon there however he either needs to step up his game a bit or he will be gone, however with Sprong being a sniper maybe this line does not need Jake anymore
Geno's line was not good, it should be dismantled yesterday, jus waste of geno's game
Sheahan with decent game again

Reactions: wizmet12

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
I don't buy that this game is an indication of a turnaround (not falling for that again), but I do buy that Sprong is legit. If Sprong sticks with Crosby and Crosby remembers he's Crosby, I think that will go an extremely long way to turning this season around. Statistically, the 2nd line this year has been pretty good (should be better, but you can't reasonably say it was bad like Crosby's line), so having your top-6 clicking is a great way to start stringing together some wins.

There have been to make false starts to this team turning it around up to this point. Till they string a few 3+ consecutive streaks I’m not buying it. I hope they do turn it around and I believe they can but I am not going to get confidence back in this team till they do.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
+ iPad
+ iPad Gifs
+ every player, can't even bring myself to give Letang or Cole minuses
++ SPRONG

- Sully, for making us watch Geno-Horny pairing

Dinfire

Mar 9, 2011
Los Angeles
How could everyone on a random Internet message board know that Sprong should have been called up and a back-to-back championship organization couldn't see it?

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
i-have-41-5a503a.jpg

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
I just hope this helps fuel Sid to be dominant again. Only one game but he was engaged and played a very integral role in our victory. So important moving forward!
I second this, Hornqvist is flat out a RW, and Kessel should be glued to Geno. So PH should be with Sid or on the third, I like what I see with him when he plays with Sheahan too.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I don't buy that this game is an indication of a turnaround (not falling for that again), but I do buy that Sprong is legit. If Sprong sticks with Crosby and Crosby remembers he's Crosby, I think that will go an extremely long way to turning this season around. Statistically, the 2nd line this year has been pretty good (should be better, but you can't reasonably say it was bad like Crosby's line), so having your top-6 clicking is a great way to start stringing together some wins.

The 2nd line isn't clicking, and it hasn't been clicking at 5 on 5 all year. Saying it hasn't been as putrid as Sid's line until tonight doesn't mean it's been clicking. Far from it, and you know that.

What I learned tonight is why I was right to think both Sid and Geno needed a winger. Seeing what happened once Sid got his makes me think getting Geno his is a game changer.

You want an example of mental fatigue . . . watch Geno skate a shift with Hagelin and Hornqvist. It's draining mentally, and honestly he gets little beyond the most random support from them. I watched Sprong MOVING to support Sid. Hell, I watched Simon do the same. Contrast that with Geno . . . hell, I watched on shift where he had to try to skate through 4 guys entering the zone because as he skated with the puck through the neutral zone Hagelin and Hornqvist just stood there . . . no support on the breakout, no support entering the zone. Refresh it for Geno like that FINALLY did for Sid tonight, and stop being married to the roster as if it were the Shero family days.

Who plays with Geno then? LW-Geno-Rust? I really don't want to trade Hornqvist, but I get the logic.

Anyway, man that was fun to watch. Sid looked energized and was flying. Sprong with a sick snipe. Jarry was really good. Impressive stuff.

You have to give to get, and if Sprong is L1 RW and Phil is L3 RW, then Horny is worth more in a trade than what you get from him (and more importantly Geno) when he's on a line with Geno.

Reactions: Andy99

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Jarry made 3 key saves when it was 0-0. That made a MASSIVE difference. He is outplaying Murray by a mile now and I am fully confident that Sully starts him next game. Sid and Sprong were fantastic.

There are basically 3 things to turn around around our season: 1)Sid being Sid 2)Goaltending(as Jarry showed tonight) 3)Hunger and fresh blood(Sprong). If this works or even if 2 of these work then we can be fine.

It was probably our best game of the season, much better played than in Philly for example. But still, Isles are pretty bad so no conclusions, just hope. They need to follow this baby up.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
What a game from Sid.

And Sprong.

And Jarry.

Simon looked good.

This one makes JR's job tougher. After yesterday, you think they're toast. Watching today, seeing how fresh blood energized Sid, one wonders if a 3C and a LW for Geno could be the type of game changers Sprong and Simon were for Sid tonight.

EDIT: Exit question . . . if you like that Sid line and you like the idea of Phil with a 3C, what do you do with Horny? Does he become one of your trade chips?

You don't have nearly as many issues if you'e JR now, because you've got wing depth to work with, and the only thing you absolutely need is a center to replace Rowney. You've got two sets of wingers that work pretty well with Sheahan now, Sheary and PH, and Kuhn and Reaves. Guentzel works fine with Sid or Geno.

Your trade chips are Cole, a middling pick or two, and Hagelin, I guess. By the post season sit Reaves and play Rust on L4 RW.

The best infusion we could ever get was Sprong and whoever else from the farm that can help us.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I second this, Hornqvist is flat out a RW, and Kessel should be glued to Geno. So PH should be with Sid or on the third, I like what I see with him when he plays with Sheahan too.
without any trades I would keep sheary and rust with Geno, 3c guentzel and kessel and have Sheahan LW and Hornquist on the 3B line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad