Salary Cap: Penguins 2014 -15 Roster Building Discussion IV (Contract/Free Agent Chart in Post 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crosberry87

Oct 9, 2008
USA
So if we're not dealing a big name off our roster, who is playing with Sid next year?

I have to imagine that's pretty damn high on the list of things to address for the next GM.

I see everyone agreeing Sid needs more help, but also saying we can't deal Martin b/c he's too important to the blue line, Letang won't return enough due to injuries, Neal is part of the core, Maatta needs to be a building block and we should keep Sutter.

I mean, you're not getting the legit upgrade Sid deserves at this point of his career without dealing something you don't want to.

And as much as people are underrating this free agency class, there are only 2nd/3rd liners and stopgaps.

You're exactly right. And thats why we should trade Neal for a group of players that also gives us cap space. Something like Silfverberg, Etem, 1st rounder. Silfverberg takes Neal's spot and Etem fits in the bottom six. Then you have the cap space for Crosbys right wing. Callahan?

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
You're exactly right. And thats why we should trade Neal for a group of players that also gives us cap space. Something like Silfverberg, Etem, 1st rounder. Silfverberg takes Neal's spot and Etem fits in the bottom six. Then you have the cap space for Crosbys right wing. Callahan?

Kunitz - Crosby - Hemsky
Kulemin - Malkin - Silfverberg
Bennett - Sutter - Etem

Even without the 1st (or swapping 1sts) that's a nice top 9. Although I think you'd see one of Etem/Bennett in the top 6, skip signing Hemsky (which makes me sad) and put Dupuis on the 3rd line.

Crosberry87

Oct 9, 2008
USA
Kunitz - Crosby - Hemsky
Kulemin - Malkin - Silfverberg
Bennett - Sutter - Etem

Even without the 1st (or swapping 1sts) that's a nice top 9. Although I think you'd see one of Etem/Bennett in the top 6, skip signing Hemsky (which makes me sad) and put Dupuis on the 3rd line.

We think alike
Here's my latest:

FORWARDS
Chris Kunitz ($3.850m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Ryan Callahan ($6.000m)
Nikolai Kulemin ($3.500m) / Evgeni Malkin ($9.500m) / Jakob Silfverberg ($2.000m)
Beau Bennett ($0.900m) / Brandon Sutter ($3.500m) / Pascal Dupuis ($3.750m)
Emerson Etem ($0.870m) / Joe Vitale ($0.650m) / Zach Sill ($0.550m)
Jayson Megna ($0.920m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Kris Letang ($7.250m) / Olli Maatta ($0.894m)
Simon Despres ($1.000m) / Paul Martin ($5.000m)
Robert Bortuzzo ($0.600m) / Rob Scuderi ($3.375m)
Scott Harrington ($0.589m) /
GOALTENDERS
Marc-Andre Fleury ($5.000m)
Jeff Zatkoff ($0.600m)
BURIED
Craig Adams ($0.600m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $69,598,333; BONUSES: $307,500
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $1,501,667

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
None of Etem, BB, Dupuis or Kulemin are 4th liners... either top 9, minors, or trade them (or someone else). But yes, moving Neal (in the right deal) and getting 1 or 2 young offensive forwards could do wonders for this team.

We think alike
Here's my latest:

FORWARDS
Chris Kunitz ($3.850m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Ryan Callahan ($6.000m)
Nikolai Kulemin ($3.500m) / Evgeni Malkin ($9.500m) / Jakob Silfverberg ($2.000m)
Beau Bennett ($0.900m) / Brandon Sutter ($3.500m) / Pascal Dupuis ($3.750m)
Emerson Etem ($0.870m) / Joe Vitale ($0.650m) / Zach Sill ($0.550m)
Jayson Megna ($0.920m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Kris Letang ($7.250m) / Olli Maatta ($0.894m)
Simon Despres ($1.000m) / Paul Martin ($5.000m)
Robert Bortuzzo ($0.600m) / Rob Scuderi ($3.375m)
Scott Harrington ($0.589m) /
GOALTENDERS
Marc-Andre Fleury ($5.000m)
Jeff Zatkoff ($0.600m)
BURIED
Craig Adams ($0.600m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $69,598,333; BONUSES: $307,500
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $1,501,667

Crosberry87

Oct 9, 2008
USA
None of Etem, BB, Dupuis or Kulemin are 4th liners... either top 9, minors, or trade them (or someone else). But yes, moving Neal (in the right deal) and getting 1 or 2 young offensive forwards could do wonders for this team.

I don't disagree but that lineup has something we haven't had in awhile. Forward depth

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Just so we're clear - Adams can't be buried...well not his contract, at least. It's a 35+ deal (as if it needed to be worse). He's either dealt off, bought out as dead cap space, or, God help us, retained.

Given how cheap his deal is I'm hopeful we can get some team looking for a veteran to take him for a 7th rounder...or waivers.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Just so we're clear - Adams can't be buried...well not his contract, at least. It's a 35+ deal (as if it needed to be worse). He's either dealt off, bought out as dead cap space, or, God help us, retained.

Given how cheap his deal is I'm hopeful we can get some team looking for a veteran to take him for a 7th rounder...or waivers.

If we can't trade him, I think someone would take him as a veteran presence if he was waived. It wouldn't hurt anything to try at least. If that doesn't work, see if we can Jussi him and trade him for future considerations with a conditional 7th or something.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I wouldn't be surprised if he was dealt to a team like Florida for a conditional 2015 7th rounder...with the condition being the Panthers making the Stanley Cup Finals.

I don't see a way Adams is still with the Penguins in October, but I'm just saying the situation does have to be addressed; we can't just bury him in WBS.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
2013 offseason. Shero re-signs Pascal Dupuis to a 4 year deal for top 6 forward money. Re-signs Craig Adams for 2 years. Signs Scuderi for 4. Extends DB.

A year later, Dupuis is coming off a knee injury and everyone including the media is finally coming around to the idea that he isn't a top 6 forward. Craig Adams is washed up. Scuderi was healthy scratch material much of the postseason. DB is on the chopping block, just a matter of time. And Ray's fired.

That was a pretty epic fail on his part. Especially when Kunitz isn't going to be top 6 material for much longer. And we have a constantly injured Beau Bennett as our only potential replacement.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Callahan is such a good fit for this team if the price isn't too much. You have to overpay for UFAs, but he might be a guy worth overpaying for. He's young, he's fast and physical, and unlike some other top-6 players he is still contributing when not showing up on the scoresheet. He'd look great with Sid or Geno.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Callahan is such a good fit for this team if the price isn't too much. You have to overpay for UFAs, but he might be a guy worth overpaying for. He's young, he's fast and physical, and unlike some other top-6 players he is still contributing when not showing up on the scoresheet. He'd look great with Sid or Geno.

there's a point when you just can't do enough off the scoresheet to justify the salary he wants for an oft-injured guy with 24 points in 63 career playoff games. He wants more money than he's worth. Unless his price comes down significantly from the rumored figures that got him traded, I don't want him.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I didn't catch too many of his games this season. I won't be a hypocrite and say he's not worth overpaying a little for since he's alot like Dustin Brown and I wanted that guy here for awhile. But if he's looking to cash in longterm, **** that. Anything over 6 for him is ludicrous.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
there's a point when you just can't do enough off the scoresheet to justify the salary he wants for an oft-injured guy with 24 points in 63 career playoff games. He wants more money than he's worth. Unless his price comes down significantly from the rumored figures that got him traded, I don't want him.

I'd be fine with going as high as $6 million for him, to be honest. Every single year we pass on wingers because they don't accept less to play with Sid and Geno. And every single year we're left with Gibbons or Dupuis in the top-6.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I'd be fine with going as high as $6 million for him, to be honest. Every single year we pass on wingers because they don't accept less to play with Sid and Geno. And every single year we're left with Gibbons or Dupuis in the top-6.

I wouldn't want to pay him 5M. Is he even an upgrade to Kunitz? I'd rather pay the wrong guy for the job Gibbons money than pay the wrong guy for the job 6M.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness

Agree.

Also, Fair Warning (!)

nick-van-halen-630-80.jpg

I'm going to start deleting "Neal Trade" comments. He has dispelled the BS rumor that he "asked for a trade", he is by far our most danerous winger, and trading him would be Full Rossi. Find something else to speculate on as this thread continues to version V.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Agree.

Also, Fair Warning (!)

nick-van-halen-630-80.jpg

I'm going to start deleting "Neal Trade" comments. He has dispelled the BS rumor that he "asked for a trade", he is by far our most danerous winger, and trading him would be Full Rossi. Find something else to speculate on.

even if he doesn't want traded, he's a perfectly viable trade option. Not one that I think needs traded, but he shouldn't be considered untouchable either.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
even if he doesn't want traded, he's a perfectly viable trade option. Not one that I think needs traded, but he shouldn't be considered untouchable either.

Technically everyone is a viable trade option in this league. The point is people took the rumor and ran with it. Just going to nip that **** in the bud unless something new comes up from TSN or something. Then fair game by all means.

Given our weaknesses right now trading Neal is only moderately less short-sighted than trading Geno or Crosby. Maybe in a couple years if we have some up and coming winger talent, OK. Now? He's our only legit scoring winger and he's one good coach away from regaining the edge to his game too. And his hit is decent. It's a horrid idea given how we're currently constructed. Any trade with him in it is addition by subtraction.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Technically everyone is a viable trade option in this league. The point is people took the rumor and ran with it. Just going to nip that **** in the bud unless something new comes up from TSN or something. Then fair game by all means.

oh, so you just mean "Neal wants traded" rumors will be deleted, not all trade proposals and ideas that involve trading Neal? That's fair.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
oh, so you just mean "Neal wants traded" rumors will be deleted, not all trade proposals and ideas that involve trading Neal? That's fair.

I'll use my better judgement. If the trade actually makes us a better team, is cap-real, and real about whether the other team would even make a move, then I'll probablu leave it alone. Anything along the lines of "Trade Neal for Kane and a Draft Pick Bro!" not so much. ;) Also you post too fast. :laugh:

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I'll use my better judgement. If the trade actually makes us a better team, is cap-real, and real about whether the other team would even make a move, then I'll probablu leave it alone. Anything along the lines of "Trade Neal for Kane and a Draft Pick Bro!" not so much. ;) Also you post too fast. :laugh:

are you planning to do this with all trade proposals, or just Neal trade proposals? Because bad trade proposals and custom line-ups are pretty much the staple of this whole thread :laugh:

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
No just the kneal-jerk proposals for now and any ridiculous Sid / Geno proposals. Pretty much all other players are viable as candidates including prospects.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
No just the kneal-jerk proposals for now and any ridiculous Sid / Geno proposals. Pretty much all other players are viable as candidates including prospects.

I don't see why Neal is any less viable than anybody but Sid and Geno. We were discussing trading him before the rumors came out that he wanted traded, so I don't think its all kneal jerk ( :laugh: ) I think he's a legitimate option to be traded if the team wants to go for a shake-up trade.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
You crazy, home-style! CRA-ZEE!

angry-chinaman-300x256.jpg

Confuscious say, this not way to "shake up team". Better shake by trading player who not bigtime offensive weapon.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
You crazy, home-style! CRA-ZEE!

angry-chinaman-300x256.jpg

Confuscious say, this not way to "shake up team". Better shake by trading player who not bigtime offensive weapon.

That's fine. Plenty of us disagree. And whether its better or not, if the best trade that comes along involves moving Neal, then it has to be an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad