Salary Cap: Penguins 2014 -15 Roster Building Discussion IV (Contract/Free Agent Chart in Post 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I don't think he will be going out west. Van is rumored to be looking for an older backup or guy to split time with Lack, so I doubt Miller wants to do that.

Maybe Colorado?
It not as west coast as the Cali teams but his options are great out that way

Why do people keep saying Colorado!? They have Varly signed at 5.9m for 6 years. 41 wins, 2.41 GAA, .927. It's highly unlikely Colorado is looking for goaltending.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I think we already have most of the top six solution in house. Move Neal up with Sid, sign Kulemin and roll Kunitz-Sid-Neal and BB-Malkin-Kulemin. That's provided Neal changes his mind about being traded now that Shero is gone and Bylsma is surely soon to follow.

Have we had any conformation that it was Neal that asked for a trade? Or are we still speculating?

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Have we had any conformation that it was Neal that asked for a trade? Or are we still speculating?

James Neal ‏@jneal_18
All of these rumors couldn't be further from the truth. I love being a Pittsburgh Penguin. I hope to remain a Penguin and win as a Penguin.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
James Neal ‏@jneal_18
All of these rumors couldn't be further from the truth. I love being a Pittsburgh Penguin. I hope to remain a Penguin and win as a Penguin.

I'm almost 100% sure when I say it was most likely Sutter who wanted out. He was playing bad and had bad line-mates around the deadline. He is the easiest choice to come up with that makes sense. His play near the end of the season and into the playoffs masks what really was a poor season for him.

He really sparked near the end and started to get short handed chances that he was converting. With the changes coming in now, though, with proper line-mates, he might be a good keep depending on what he wants cap wise.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Just for ****s and giggles, let's say the Pens trade Dupuis for picks, CBO Fleury and sign Miller ($6 million), Vanek ($7 million, and that's probably low) and Niskanen ($4.75 million, again, that's probably low as well). With Maatta's surgery, Scuderi isn't being traded, at least until Maatta is ready to play. The Pens would have $7.5 million to fill their entire bottom-6, 2 extra forwards and an extra D. That can't be done.

Can't really be done (signing Nisky, & Vanek). Even putting BB in the top 6, you're still missing 2 #3 wingers and only have ~2m to get them (or 5.5m if Sutter isn't signed).

Phil68

Jun 13, 2009
With the James Neal talks of trade, i have a fair fair trade... Neal for Hert and a 1st rounder from San Jose?

penguins2946*

66% of 5m. So 3.3m if they want to buy him out.

I'm talking about a compliance buyout.

Can't really be done (signing Nisky, & Vanek). Even putting BB in the top 6, you're still missing 2 #3 wingers and only have ~2m to get them (or 5.5m if Sutter isn't signed).

I know, that was the point of my post. It's either Niskanen or a top-6 winger, unless we move both Dupuis and Scuderi.

penguins2946*

Even with the CBO, I didn't think they're paying the full amount. Bryz had 30m+ still owing on his contract from Philly, and I'm pretty sure they only paid something in the mid 20s (24m?).

Yeah I'm not sure. Fleury has 1 year at $5 million left. No matter how much you will have to pay him, it won't be much.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I like Hornqvist a lot, but Nashville picks #11. I'd want another piece.

I'd be interested in Hornqvist, Forsberg, #11. Two wingers would be nice, but you're not getting two of the caliber of Hornqvist and Wilson. IMO, Hornqvist, Forsberg, #11 would be comparable value to the Bobby Ryan deal.

I'll have to disagree. Hornqvist is a lot more established than Silfverberg. Forsberg is >= to Noesen. I think we'd be lucky to get Hornqivst and 1 of Forsberg, 1st or Wilson.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Buffalo has Makarov in the minors. Im a Rochester Amerk season ticket holder and ill say this now, he will be their starter in 1-2 years. The kid is really talented

Love hearing this... I have him in my deep keeper pool.

Unlikely has hell... but I love that roster!

FORWARDS
Chris Kunitz ($3.850m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Thomas Vanek ($7.250m)
Nikolai Kulemin ($3.250m) / Evgeni Malkin ($9.500m) / Ryan O'Reilly ($6.500m)
Beau Bennett ($0.900m) / Brandon Sutter ($3.500m) / Tyler Toffoli ($0.717m)
Joe Vitale ($0.550m) / Marcel Goc ($1.700m) / Brian Gibbons ($0.550m)
Zach Sill ($0.550m) / Jayson Megna ($0.874m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Simon Despres ($1.200m) / Paul Martin ($5.000m)
Matt Niskanen ($4.250m) / Olli Maatta ($0.894m)
Robert Bortuzzo ($0.600m) / Brian Dumoulin ($0.832m)
GOALTENDERS
Ryan Miller ($6.000m)
Martin Jones ($0.550m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $67,716,625; BONUSES: $221,667
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $3,383,375

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Also Vitale is not likely to take league minimum. He can get ~$1-1.5 million per from someplace like Pheonix.

Seto will have to take a paycut from his 3m this year. He's played like crap in Winnipeg, and wasn't much better in Minny. I'd love to have him here around the 2m mark. Ideally he could fit in the top 6... however if not, for 2m, and his skating/hitting he could also work on the 3rd line.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Out of these players, who would you want most for Sid around 3/4 yrs 4/5M per:

Cammilerii
Moulson
Gaborik
Hemsky
Vrbata
Michalek

My vote is Cammy or Vrbata

Hemsky (although I'd play him with Malkin, and move Neal to Sid's line). Then perhaps Michalek if he's cheap. I'd like Gabby, but think he's gonna sign in LA.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Trading Neal would just be idiotic. This team is devoid of wingers so let's trade a 40 goal scorer who is still in his 20's, not to mention at a great cap hit. This team needs more talented young wingers, not less.

If we can get pieces that make this team better, why not move him? No one is saying give him away... but there are moves that could make this team better both short term and long term.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I know, that was the point of my post. It's either Niskanen or a top-6 winger, unless we move both Dupuis and Scuderi.

Even moving both Dupuis and Scuderi, it's still a top 6 winger or Niskanen. Unless you want to move Sutter, and have a dismal 3rd line.

Finesse

nostromo
Dec 9, 2013
If we can get pieces that make this team better, why not move him? No one is saying give him away... but there are moves that could make this team better both short term and long term.

Trading Neal for another goal scorer doesn't make the team better. Trading other dead weight players for goal scorers would make the team better.

Crosberry87

Oct 9, 2008
USA

I agree. Besides his wrist shot what exactly does Neal bring to this team? Doesn't play good defense or PK, no grit, no leadership, stupid penalties. I don't think we needs to surround Sid/Geno with other stars necessarily, just the appropriate players.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
I agree. Besides his wrist shot what exactly does Neal bring to this team? Doesn't play good defense or PK, no grit, no leadership, stupid penalties. I don't think we needs to surround Sid/Geno with other stars necessarily, just the appropriate players.

Hard to knock off the puck, underrated playmaking, great chemistry with Malkin...

The guy is in his prime years and signed to a friendly cap hit. He's happy here and he is not going anywhere IMO, unfounded rumour or not.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Trading Neal for another goal scorer doesn't make the team better. Trading other dead weight players for goal scorers would make the team better.

I never said in a 1-1 deal, or trade him for a sniper. There's different types of players (aka not all offensive wingers are the same) that would help this team.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
So if we're not dealing a big name off our roster, who is playing with Sid next year?

I have to imagine that's pretty damn high on the list of things to address for the next GM.

I see everyone agreeing Sid needs more help, but also saying we can't deal Martin b/c he's too important to the blue line, Letang won't return enough due to injuries, Neal is part of the core, Maatta needs to be a building block and we should keep Sutter.

I mean, you're not getting the legit upgrade Sid deserves at this point of his career without dealing something you don't want to.

And as much as people are underrating this free agency class, there are only 2nd/3rd liners and stopgaps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad