Salary Cap: Penguins 2014-15 roster building discussion III (Contract/free agent chart in Post 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Come on now, the guy just had a stroke, and he can't stay healthy at all, why would a team give up valuable assets for that when the guy just signed a 7 year 58 million dollar deal, surely you have to be able to see that would be a gigantic risk for another team to take on that contract.

I'm going to say exactly the same thing I said in the post you quoted. Apparently you need to read it again, because your reply makes no sense.

If you can't get a really good return for Letang, you don't trade Letang. Its that simple.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Scuderi, Dupuis, Kunitz and Fleury are cap dumps long before Letang.

I wanted him moved last summer b/c I believed a he would bring in a mega return to retool our forward depth. If that isn't the case b/c the guy got fair money longterm and had a stroke which he has next to zero chance of a repeat occurrence. Keep him. He was amazing for us these playoffs. And maybe under a new coach/system and paired with Martin, that's the norm from here on out.

I wouldn't take anything less than what Seguin brought back for Boston. And he had his own off ice issues and was coming off a terrible playoff. I think at least a few teams will ante up if we make him available.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I'm going to say exactly the same thing I said in the post you quoted.

If you can't get a really good return for Letang, you don't trade Letang. Its that simple.

I guess my point is that even if you aren't getting great players in return for a Letang trade, your still getting lots in return because your getting 7.25 million in cap space to rebuild your forwards.

Lets say the pens take that 7.25 million and sign Bolland and Kulemin, that would give them two thirds of a good gritty 3rd line, pens would then have Sutter and Neal if they want to trade to rebuild the top 6 wingers.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I guess my point is that even if you aren't getting great players in return for a Letang trade, your still getting lots in return because your getting 7.25 million in cap space to rebuild your forwards.

Lets say the pens take that 7.25 million and sign Bolland and Kulemin, that would give them two thirds of a good gritty 3rd line, pens would then have Sutter and Neal if they want to trade to rebuild the top 6 wingers.

Letang for cap space to sign Bolland and Kulemin? That's ****ing terrible.

Trading Letang as a cap dump is absolutely moronic unless we're getting back a top 5 overall pick or so.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Letang for cap space to sign Bolland and Kulemin? That's ****ing terrible.

Trading Letang as a cap dump is absolutely moronic unless we're getting back a top 5 overall pick or so.

I wasn't saying that's what i would do, just giving an example how this team could rebuild the forwards with letang's cap space.

If you think Letang is a good or great player that's fine that's your opinion.

If you think teams are going to give up good players for a injury prone player, who just had a stroke, who is signed to a 7 year 58 million dollar deal, and a player that just had a terrible year, i would say that is pretty unlikely.

Now i could see a team willing to take on his contract and hope he has a better year and can stay healthy, but i can't see that team willing to give up valuable players for Letang.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I wasn't saying that's what i would do, just giving an example how this team could rebuild the forwards with letang's cap space.

If you think Letang is a good or great player that's fine that's your opinion.

If you think teams are going to give up good players for a injury prone player, who just had a stroke, who is signed to a 7 year 58 million dollar deal, and a player that just had a terrible year, i would say that is pretty unlikely.

Now i could see a team willing to take on his contract and hope he has a better year and can stay healthy, but i can't see that team willing to give up valuable players for Letang.

Then don't trade Letang. Simple.

penguins2946*

If we could get Umberger for Scuderi with Columbus retaining salary so it's equal, I would do that instantly. 1 cap dump that needs a change of scenery for another cap dump that needs a change if scenery, but the new player addresses a need for the team.

I guess 3rd wheel with Malkin and Neal.

I'd be fine with this, unless we could get Kulemin for cheaper.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I wouldn't want Umberger, but if the pens do they should just wait til he gets bought out, nobody is going to trade for him with that contract.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Ugh, no on Umberger. He's exactly what we don't need, old, slow, and overpriced.

Yeah a couple years ago I was down with acquiring him. But I agree with ownership. With the changes they're making, it's time to retool. Get younger and faster.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
If they're older than 28 I don't want them.

And if you're looking for salary cap room, you dump Scuderi.

penguins2946*

Scuderi, Adams Dupuis should be dumped. Too old and cost top much. That's an extra $8 million in cap space. If we can keep Niskanen at around $4.5 or $5 million, we should ship out Letang. A deal I liked was Kesler and Hansen for Letang, it gives us a top line winger for Sid and a good complementary 3rd line winger. The salaries in that are basically even ($7.25 out, $7.5 in). If we re-sign Sutter ($3.5 million) and Despres ($1 million), that would give us:

XXXX-Crosby-Kesler
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
Bennett-Sutter-Hansen
XXXX-XXXX-XXXX

Maatta-Martin
Despres-Niskanen
XXXX-Bortuzzo

Fleury-Zatkoff

That's around $57 million, which gives us anywhere from $11 to $14 million in cap space. Go after a big fish like Cammalleri or Vanek in free agency, then fill out the rest of the roster from within the organization (Harrington in the #6 D spot, Samuelsson as the #7 D, Sill, Payerl and Megna on the 4th line, ect).

YinzAintBurgh*

Any good Free Agents next year? Maybe give Letang a few months to pad his stats and look good again then trade him.

But then you run the risk of being stuck with him. All I know is I don't want him on the team come Playoff time.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Any good Free Agents next year? Maybe give Letang a few months to pad his stats and look good again then trade him.

But then you run the risk of being stuck with him. All I know is I don't want him on the team come Playoff time.

even though he was one of our best players these playoffs?

penguins2946*

Yeah I don't understand why people think we have to move Letang. He was awesome in the playoffs for us, and was scoring at a crazy pace in the 2013 playoffs. Letang should be moved to give Sid help on the wings and help our F depth. He shouldn't just be dumped.

iFishyHD

Dec 27, 2010
Pittsburgh

Chicago could have Hossa or Sharp for trade with a 0.1% chance Toews or Kane hit FA, so yes.

YinzAintBurgh*

He was the best?... I can show you 3-4 goals in 13 games that was solely his fault because he's a loose cannon and doesn't stay on his side of the net. So for his lack of defense what did he do on the offensive end? 4 points... Yeah, I'll pass. Give me a defensive d or a better winger for him.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Ducks could be looking to deal some of their depth at forward to address holes at center and possibly an impact D-man.

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA
He was the best?... I can show you 3-4 goals in 13 games that was solely his fault because he's a loose cannon and doesn't stay on his side of the net. So for his lack of defense what did he do on the offensive end? 4 points... Yeah, I'll pass. Give me a defensive d or a better winger for him.

OK. Do it.

penguins2946*

Ducks could be looking to deal some of their depth at forward to address holes at center and possibly an impact D-man.

I don't see them being interested in Letang with Fowler on the roster tbh. Letang for Etem, Vatanen and the #10 pick would be a nice return though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad