Salary Cap: Penguins 2014-15 roster building discussion III (Contract/free agent chart in Post 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I think it's time Pens find players who know WILL help, rather then look for "maybes". Those Maybe's died when Shero was **** canned. The only way i'd want to take a chance on a player is if our players have their man to go god mode with. It's time to go all in for our players to play with Crosby/Malkin. Wheeler, Eberle, Kane, Burns, Pavelski, etc.

Yeah I like the idea of buying low on Stewart at this point. But he's a Plan C or D for me this offseason. He's more like Neal than a solution to what we're lacking.

snizzbone*

And with getting depth in the other moves, incentive to trade him for another player who hasn't exactly had opportunity for his current team, and that is Jake Gardiner.

Gardiner has had opportunity with his current team.. he constantly plays over 20 minutes a night. The only reason he is in trade speculation is because of overblown media stuff about him having a riff with the coach, which has been confirmed to not be true by multiple outlets.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Our tradable assets are Fleury, one of Pouliot/Harrington/Despres/Dumoulin, Sutter, and the 1st round pick. Necessary salary dump would be Scuderi.

The bolded would be the guys I'd be willing to move out. Fleury is a no-questions-asked move. He HAS to go. I'd deal Dumoulin and/or Sutter in the right deal. I'd dump Scuderi if we need the cap space. I'd also add Kunitz to your list if we can get younger there. I'd also add Dupuis and Adams to the Scuderi category. Take what you can, basically.

B/c there's a hole next to Sid. And a 35 year old on the other wing.

So, trade the 35-year-old winger instead of Neal.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
So, trade the 35-year-old winger instead of Neal.

But you're not getting a longterm solution for Sid dealing Kunitz.

I'd deal Kunitz for youth though. But we wouldn't be getting an impact top 6 guy back.

Uncle Machete

Apr 6, 2004
Mexico City
CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster

FORWARDS
Chris Kunitz ($3.850m) / Evgeni Malkin ($9.500m) / James Neal ($5.000m)
Beau Bennett ($0.900m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / X
Mason Raymond ($1.250m) / X / Pascal Dupuis ($3.750m)
Brian Gibbons ($0.550m) / Joe Vitale ($0.550m) / Daniel Carcillo ($0.950m)
Craig Adams ($0.700m) / Jayson Megna ($0.925m)
DEFENSEMEN
Paul Martin ($5.000m) / Kris Letang ($7.250m)
Rob Scuderi ($3.375m) / Olli Maatta ($0.894m)
Robert Bortuzzo ($0.600m) / Simon Despres ($0.851m)
Philip Samuelsson ($0.913m) /
GOALTENDERS
Marc-Andre Fleury ($5.000m)
Jeff Zatkoff ($0.600m)

------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,107,167; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $9,992,833

Players in: Mason Raymond, Dan Carcillo, Winger for Sid, Third line center (preferably one with grit, character and speed...)

Adds speed and grit, and almost ten million left for a third line center and a winger for Sid, plus re-uniting Kunitz-Malkin-Neal as a line. Defense is a little on the young side but that's almost a must.

All this is valid only with a new coaching staff. If the coaching staff is retained I don't care enough.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Yeah I see your point about the "maybes" part but Stewart wouldn't let teams cross check and play Sid cheap. Stewart has the potential to score 25-30 goals on the RW1. Plus we wouldn't have to give up a Pouliot or Harrington to get him here. It'd be a risk, but I'd be interested.

Well if we could get the players before Stewart and still have room, i'd be fine with this.

Kane-Crosby-Stewart

As a top line.

??-Malkin-Hemsky

As a 2nd line. I dunno who would be on Malkin's LW, it would be for whoever we traded Letang for.

I guess our 3rd line can be Stempniak-Goc-Dupuis

Last edited:

Sutter16

Aug 17, 2012
Pittsburgh,PA
Well if we could get the players before Stewart and still have room, i'd be fine with this.

Kane-Crosby-Stewart

As a top line.

??-Malkin-Hemsky

As a 2nd line. I dunno who would be on Malkin's LW, it would be for whoever we traded Letang for.

Kane-Crosby-Stewart would be so, so sick. I'd sign Kulemin or Penner for Geno's LW. Kulemin being my first choice of the two. Or bump Kunitz down.

Jesus Vitale

Formerly CPZ17
Nov 19, 2010
Pittsburgh
I'm so over Stewart, Kulemin, Hemsky, etc. people have been wanting them for years, when they had great seasons and they've all pretty much failed to live up to their previous great seasons. We'll get one of them and everyone will quickly realize that they're not the saviors they've been made out to be.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I'm so over Stewart, Kulemin, Hemsky, etc. people have been wanting them for years, when they had great seasons and they've all pretty much failed to live up to their previous great seasons. We'll get one of them and everyone will quickly realize that they're not the saviors they've been made out to be.

Stewart, Kulemin is more of a plan C. Plan A is Kane, whatever we can get for Letang. Plan B should be signing Hemsky, he would fit in well and create space for our stars which is a HUUUUUUUGE need and he was doing really well for the Sens, he would do really well for the Pens. But i could go to war with this:

Kane-Crosby-Stewart
??-Malkin-Hemsky
Stemp-Goc-Dupuis

Reimer in goal, rather then Fleury.

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
Chris Stewart and Evander Kane on a line with Crosby would be awesome. Plenty of scoring and grit.

Derrick Pouliot + Beau Bennett for Evander Kane.

Brandon Sutter for Chris Stewart + Marcus Foligno.

Kane - Crosby - Stewart
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal
Foligno - Goc - Megna
PL3 - Sill - Payerl

Get rid of Dupuis to create some cap space. Perhaps a team would be interested in him.

Last edited:

Sutter16

Aug 17, 2012
Pittsburgh,PA
According to LeBrun the Pens wanted Hemsky at the deadline. So I don't know if they'd still want him with Shero gone. I'd guess if he makes it to free agency that we take a look at him.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
What do we think about Umberger, who apparently wants a trade? I think he could be Malkin's Kunitz, albeit a lesser version. Haven't seen him a ton over the last couple years, however so I'm not sure if he's still top-6 quality.

He'd most likely come cheap. I'd definitely deal Scuderi for him is CBJ retain some salary.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
What do we think about Umberger, who apparently wants a trade? I think he could be Malkin's Kunitz, albeit a lesser version. Haven't seen him a ton over the last couple years, however so I'm not sure if he's still top-6 quality.

He'd most likely come cheap. I'd definitely deal Scuderi for him is CBJ retain some salary.

I'd rather deal Scuderi as a pure cap dump instead of bringing back someone else's cap dump. I don't want a bad player strapped to Geno's line. That's worse than having a bad player strapped to the 3rd D pairing.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010

His body's probably breaking down at this point. And CBJ probs wouldn't retain salary considering we're trading Scuds' horrible contract

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC

He's no longer a top-six quality player. He was a healthy scratch a few times this season in Columbus.

Yeah sure, maybe he just needs a change of scenery, but he was never great to start with.

AND, his contract absolutely stinks.

Fire Shero*

I'd rather deal Scuderi as a pure cap dump instead of bringing back someone else's cap dump. I don't want a bad player strapped to Geno's line. That's worse than having a bad player strapped to the 3rd D pairing.

Umberger was a Shero type player - good 5 years ago. Those type of players will hopefully no longer get signed by pittsburgh.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
His stroke was a stroke in name only (the definition is roughly an interruption in the blood flow to the brain). Most are caused by clots/blockage/etc. His was caused by a birth defect when a hole in his heart wasn't sealed. They've repaired it, and the likely hood of it ever being an issue again is next to nil.

The rest of his issues (knee/concussion(s)) are a legit concern... but even then they likely wouldn't be a deal breaker to trading him. Not saying Pittsburgh would get full value for him... but they could still get pretty good value.

Unless i missed something, the last i heard Letang said the doctors didn't know what caused the stroke, Letang also said the doctors weren't going to do anything to fix the hole in his heart.

If you have one stroke aren't you more likely to have another stroke?

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Unless i missed something, the last i heard Letang said the doctors didn't know what caused the stroke, Letang also said the doctors weren't going to do anything to fix the hole in his heart.

Maybe if you eat a lot of cheese burgers.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
This is hockey. Every single player in the league may play their last game at the spur of a moment.

Some are more susceptible than others, but you can't really plan against it.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007

I thought I read recently the doctors told Letang his chance of another stroke is like 0.01%.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad