Salary Cap: Penguins 2014-15 roster building discussion III (Contract/free agent chart in Post 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killswitch7187

Winter is here
Jun 29, 2009
State College, PA
I suppose I'll take a stab at it:

TRADES:

To EDM: Kris Letang, Marc-Andre Fleury
To PIT: David Perron, 3rd Overall Pick, Mitchell Moroz

To VAN: Brandon Sutter, 1st Round Pick, Brian Dumoulin
To PIT: Ryan Kesler

To TOR: Beau Bennett
To PIT: Jake Gardiner

Free Agency/Re-Signings:

Ryan Miller (3 years/$18m)
Ryan Callahan (6 years/$36m)
Marcel Goc (3 years/$6m)
Jake Gardiner (2 years/$2.8m)
Simon Despres, Brian Gibbons, and Joe Vitale, each (2 years/$1.8m)

COMPLIANCE BUYOUT:

Rob Scuderi

FORWARDS
David Perron ($3.813m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Ryan Callahan ($6.000m)
Sam Bennett ($3.250m) / Evgeni Malkin ($9.500m) / James Neal ($5.000m)
Chris Kunitz ($3.850m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Pascal Dupuis ($3.750m)
Mitch Moroz ($0.875m) / Marcel Goc ($2.000m) / Brian Gibbons ($0.900m)
Joe Vitale ($0.900m)

DEFENSEMEN
Olli Maatta ($0.894m) / Paul Martin ($5.000m)
Simon Despres ($0.900m) / Jake Gardiner ($1.400m)
Scott Harrington ($0.589m) / Derrick Pouliot ($0.863m)
Robert Bortuzzo ($0.600m)

GOALTENDERS
Ryan Miller ($6.000m)
Jeff Zatkoff ($0.600m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $70,234,167; BONUSES: $751,667
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $865,833

First off, I want to discuss the Letang trade. Instead of getting a guy like Evander Kane, Blake Wheeler, or even Jordan Eberle for him, I think we should focus on getting more depth. And looking at the landscape of the draft, looks as if the Oilers are going to miss out on Ekblad sitting at #3, who many consider the only defenseman worth taking within that top-5. So I think the incentive to trade for Letang will be there, finally have a defensemen to build around... but I also included Fleury in the deal because they'd be going for a playoff push for the regular season. Fleury really was just included in the deal more than anything for the prospect, as I think Letang can fetch Perron and the 3rd overall himself. Perron would be a really nice fit with Crosby, with that speed and grit to his game. Trading Letang for two guys that would basically equal out his own salary, which would allow to get a high-priced forward free agent. Say what you will about Callahan and that $6m pricetag, but if Mario wants character, he is exactly it. Would be overpaid of course, but at this point, I don't care for an extra million in being overpaid. It's not like he's Clarkson, by far a more consistent player at every aspect of the game. He'll be an asset and a guy that shows up every night no matter the score, and we need more of those guys. As for the draft pick, pick the best available, really, and perhaps the player can make it out of camp to play in our top-9.

I still think trading for Kesler is a phenomenal move, and the EDM move allows the trade of our own first round pick in this model. I'm honestly not as high on Bennett as the rest of this fanbase is, and I absolutely don't think he's even come close to earning a spot in the top-6. And with getting depth in the other moves, incentive to trade him for another player who hasn't exactly had opportunity for his current team, and that is Jake Gardiner. I think Pouliot can actually make this team out of camp, proving to be the PP QB this team wants and needs. He'll have some major growing pains on the defensive side of the puck, but I mean, so what. We have time to experiment, and always easier to pick up a top-4 dman at the deadline than it is a top-6 forward. The defense as a whole is pretty young so I'd expect as much to happen, but really, even with the inexperience, I still like the idea of running with it. I might be alone however.

Ryan Miller will have his work cut out for him, but there's a reason why he'll still get $6m: he's worth it. The defensive corp isn't overall all that physical but the two-way play of our forwards and a system that actually correlates with the talent on the ice might prove to actually be the difference. Change the top-9 as you see fit, really in terms of lines, but I do like that group in general. Is this realistic? No, probably not, especially with all the big names involved, but if I were to want one move in particular to especially happen, it'd be the Letang deal (Perron/3rd Overall). Could set up this team for years in terms of the wings.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I want Kule here. But he should not be blocking Bennett unless we make some serious changes to the forward group.

I'd argue Kunitz' spot shouldn't be safe if the way he played post-Olympics is the trend.

But agreed we could easily pick up Hemsky and another top 6 guy via trade.

if Kulemin outplays Bennett, he should block Bennett. Same for anybody else on the team. Bennett is good, but he's not so good that we should just hold open a top 6 spot for him. If he helps the team more in the top 6, put him in the top 6. If he helps the team more on the 3rd line, that's where he should be.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
The more I think about it, the more I want Nisky re-signed if he's willing to give us a discount. That'll give us a strong top 4 with Martin/Letang and Maatta/Nisky. Send Scuds to a team for a late pick. And fill the defense out with youth.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
http://capgeek.com/armchair-gm/roster/15654

I think this is my best attempt yet. really like how this team looks for the playoffs.

(didnt know which dman to sign to play with maaatta, was looking for an average mobile dman - no clue if stoner fits the bill or not.)

Replace one over the hill veteran with another over the hill veteran who is on a lot more. No thanks.

Why are people so enamoured with Callahan as well?

Malkin112*

Callahan is garbage PO performer why everybody wants him on this team is real mystery to me

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Callahan is garbage PO performer why everybody wants him on this team is real mystery to me

I'd get it if he was coming in around 4M to play a role like Kunitz as a 3rd wheel. But for the contract he's looking for, he is going to be a huge disappointment somewhere I think.

penguins2946*

I thought the Malkin proposals would stop when he signed his 8 year deal with a full NMC . Turns out, I was wrong.

Malkin112*

I'd get it if he was coming in around 4M to play a role like Kunitz as a 3rd wheel. But for the contract he's looking for, he is going to be a huge disappointment somewhere I think.

yes if you can get him 4M, but he wants over 6M and that's terrible

specialized

Jan 24, 2013
I love when someone proposes a trade with Letang they always say thats a little under valued for Latang but yet we hate the guy.

Nobody is going to take the guy. He had a stroke and second his deal is way to much. Lets all just thank Shero for this and be thankful he is gone and can no longer make long deals. Kunitz,Dupuis,Letang and Scudari

penguins2946*

I love when someone proposes a trade with Letang they always say thats a little under valued for Latang but yet we hate the guy.

Nobody is going to take the guy. He had a stroke and second his deal is way to much. Lets all just thank Shero for this and be thankful he is gone and can no longer make long deals. Kunitz,Dupuis,Letang and Scudari

Very few here hate Letang. I've posted this like 5 times now, on HF a D one year removed from a Norris nomination would be untradable.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh

Yeah, i see all these proposed deals trading Letang for other teams star players, i'd be thrilled to trade him for anything as long as the pens don't have to keep any of Letang's salary.

Pens having an extra 7 million dollars in cap space to rebuild the forward group would be huge for this team no matter what they get for Letang.

Phil68

Jun 13, 2009
I read on HF boards, trading James Neal would be a good idea.. I don't see how us getting rid of Neal will Help.. What other winger would bring us back his production at his Salary?? I can't think of anyone? All the other in wingers in the league I could truly think of are either getting paid a lot more money then him, and are producing equal or better. And the others left with his cap hit are producing waaaaaayyy less then Neal...

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
I read on HF boards, trading James Neal would be a good idea.. I don't see how us getting rid of Neal will Help.. What other winger would bring us back his production at his Salary?? I can't think of anyone? All the other in wingers in the league I could truly think of are either getting paid a lot more money then him, and are producing equal or better. And the others left with his cap hit are producing waaaaaayyy less then Neal...

Of course it is...

Neal, Letang= Had a rough last couple of months of the season so they are overrated and over paid.

Sutter= Garbage for the last two seasons but scored a couple playoff goals after having 3 points in last years playoffs so he's worth 4+ a year long term.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Salary figures for Sutter are all over the place. I don't see why, especially as an RFA, he's worth more than $3 million.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
If you think trading away Letang just to save the cap space is a good idea, you're wrong. That's one of those opinions that is not just a bad opinion, but it is legitimately wrong.

If you can't get a really good return for Letang, you don't trade Letang. Its that simple.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
If you think trading away Letang just to save the cap space is a good idea, you're wrong. That's one of those opinions that is not just a bad opinion, but it is legitimately wrong.

If you can't get a really good return for Letang, you don't trade Letang. Its that simple.

Come on now, the guy just had a stroke, and he can't stay healthy at all, why would a team give up valuable assets for that when the guy just signed a 7 year 58 million dollar deal, surely you have to be able to see that would be a gigantic risk for another team to take on that contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad