Salary Cap: Penguins 2013-14 cap/roster building discussion (Contract chart in Post #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
You could at least tell what Martin could do. It kind of made it all the more frustrating that he was playing like turds. But you could see why they wanted him as a Penguin so badly. I honestly cannot say that at all about Scuderi.

You won't like hearing this, I'm sure... but I would be curious to see what he could do with a system better tailored to his, uh... strengths. Though I really, really just don't think he has much at all left in the tank. I feel that players like Scuderi fall off fast.

He was great in the playoffs for LA just last year. I wouldn't be surprised to see him go elsewhere and finish his career on a high note, but the stretch pass/dmen carrying the puck breakouts run here will never work for him.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
He was great in the playoffs for LA just last year. I wouldn't be surprised to see him go elsewhere and finish his career on a high note, but the stretch pass/dmen carrying the puck breakouts run here will never work for him.

Indeed. He was, by most accounts, one of the King's best defensemen in the playoffs his last year, there. But they play a system that very much insulates a player like him. And they managed his minutes much more carefully than they (generally) do, here.

I wouldn't be surprised (in the unlikely event that he's traded/released/whatever) to see him excel elsewhere, either. But it'll be as a support player. His days of playing top minutes are gone. And the Penguins and their pro scouts should have been much quicker in recognizing that, particularly when you factor in the defensive system the team plays.

Too much reminiscing and nostalgia for an old warhorse. Not enough actual analyzing.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Somebody please explain why HF is turning on James Neal based on a subpar 30-game stretch while he's been recovering from injury?

This guy is a 40 goal, PPG player and has played better alongside Malkin than any other player during Geno's career. Oh, he's also signed long-term on a cap friendly deal. Does his game have warts? Sure. But to trade him for anything other than an extreme overpayment would be asinine, IMHO.

They're trying to build an All-Star team, and seem to forget that Neal is, in fact, an All-Star.

The trade threads tend to get fixated on one player, then how to get said player. Previously, it was Letang for ROR. Now, I'm not going to say that, personally, a trade like that didn't appeal to me. But then it became Letang for just about anyone, until he had his stroke.

Currently, the angst is for E. Kane. A player who, himself, has a number of warts. And just as they did with Letang, they will discount the idea that a coaching change is what is needed and instead amplify Neal's faults so that trading him will seem to be a good idea.

Fortunately, they take the idea of trading Geno or Sid to the main boards.

LetangInTheSO

Oct 17, 2008
They're trying to build an All-Star team, and seem to forget that Neal is, in fact, an All-Star.

The trade threads tend to get fixated on one player, then how to get said player. Previously, it was Letang for ROR. Now, I'm not going to say that, personally, a trade like that didn't appeal to me. But then it became Letang for just about anyone, until he had his stroke.

Currently, the angst is for E. Kane. A player who, himself, has a number of warts. And just as they did with Letang, they will discount the idea that a coaching change is what is needed and instead amplify Neal's faults so that trading him will seem to be a good idea.

Fortunately, they take the idea of trading Geno or Sid to the main boards.

Thanks for the insight. Good grief, if these guys sour on a guy like Neal, I can't imagine how they'd turn on a guy like E Kane (and I say that as a fan of the guy). The Penguins are plagued with problems, but James Neal @ $5M long-term is not one of them.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
You could at least tell what Martin could do. It kind of made it all the more frustrating that he was playing like turds. But you could see why they wanted him as a Penguin so badly. I honestly cannot say that at all about Scuderi.

You won't like hearing this, I'm sure... but I would be curious to see what he could do with a system better tailored to his, uh... strengths. Though I really, really just don't think he has much at all left in the tank. I feel that players like Scuderi fall off fast.

Might be the case. I'm just not going to say he's dead in the water after a season with so many variables.

We brought him in to insulate Letang, and it's a solid idea in principle. It can still work.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Thanks for the insight. Good grief, if these guys sour on a guy like Neal, I can't imagine how they'd turn on a guy like E Kane (and I say that as a fan of the guy). The Penguins are plagued with problems, but James Neal @ $5M long-term is not one of them.

Agreed.

penguins2946*

Moving Neal isn't at the top of my wish list for the offseason. However, it definitely needs to be taken into consideration. Moving Letang before his NTC kicks in is at the top of the list, along with letting Orpik walk.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Neal should be one of the building blocks, imo. Along with Crosby, Malkin, Maatta, Bennett, Despres, Bortuzzo, Pouliot, Harrington, Jarry and this year's first rounder.

Get rid of the rest.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Moving Neal isn't at the top of my wish list for the offseason. However, it definitely needs to be taken into consideration. Moving Letang before his NTC kicks in is at the top of the list, along with letting Orpik walk.

Before we move anyone there needs to be a coaching change.

penguins2946*

Before we move anyone there needs to be a coaching change.

100% of course. DB should be fired the day after the Pens get eliminated, on the same day if they get eliminated during an afternoon game.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
I'm not sure what's going to be the happiest day of my life. The day I married the best girl I've ever met, or the day Dan Bylsma gets fired.

Its a doozie.

penguins2946*

This team needs a LOT more than just replacing Bylsma with Jacko Martin. It starts with the General Manager.

I don't really view Shero to be the problem, but he definitely needs to watch what he's doing. The Scuderi signing after shopping off a better and younger version of Scuderi that didn't work here was the worst thing he has done as the GM. However, that terrible move doesn't negate all the good things he has done (drafting since 2009, trades, retaining Sid and Geno long term, ect). His bad moves include the deadline 2013, signing Scuderi (after pawning off Michalek a year before), signing Letang for 8 years, drafting bad from 2006 to 2009 and signing Dupuis for 4 years. That's about it. He's been solid otherwise.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I'm not sure what's going to be the happiest day of my life. The day I married the best girl I've ever met, or the day Dan Bylsma gets fired.

Its a doozie.

I think you need to back away from the keyboard if that's a legit toss up.

This game doesn't affect you in real life.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC

Its a doozie.

I think you need to back away from the keyboard if that's a legit toss up.

This game doesn't affect you in real life.

Actually, I think Burgundy is onto something. He's making a rather solid statement re: marriage.

:)

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Actually, I think Burgundy is onto something. He's making a rather solid statement re: marriage.

:)

I'm steering clear of marriage for at least a few more years, so I can't comment on it. But I wouldn't trade the time I spent with my ex for a DB firing. Guess I'm not a team player. :laugh:

Real world > sport.

penguins2946*

I really like that Killorn for Despres idea tossed up on the main board. That actually gives us a long term young LW, which we lack honestly.

iFishyHD

Dec 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I really like that Killorn for Despres idea tossed up on the main board. That actually gives us a long term young LW, which we lack honestly.

Same. Seems pretty solid. Some TB fans underrating Despres (as every team does), but some are in agreement with it...what is Sheros number again?

Fire Shero*

In your opinion.

Please tell me that you don't actually like shero at this point?

I feel like Shero will get support until he trades Crosby for some dmen.

He can't draft, he hasn't made a worthwhile trade since Neal on his own merit and fails to sign outside respectable free agents.

Do you remember last offseason?
Scuderi, Adams, Dupuis, Jeffrey, D'ags, Kobasew were all signed?

The summer before was the Parise fiasco. We went into the season with Eric Tangradi in out top 6...

Shero is not a good GM. We continue to blow our load on dmen but only Maatta can crack regular spot. Blame it on whatever, but if it's the coach, why hasn't Shero fired him?

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
letang needs to go. the guy is a liability and is scheduled to have the third highest cap hit of all d-men next year.

terrible player on a terrible deal.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I wouldn't want to trade him for the sake of getting rid of him just yet. If we can get a legitimate good return for him then ya, I'm fine with trading him. I still want to see him under a real coach though, before we dump him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad