Salary Cap: Penguins 2013-14 cap/roster building discussion (Contract chart in Post #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Two teams I'd be monitoring this off-season are the Oilers and Maple Leafs. Edmonton could certainly use some of our experienced veterans. That No. 3 overall pick would be great to acquire. I'd peddle Kunitz or Martin and our first to move up to No. 3. Peterborough Petes power forward Nick Ritchie would be my main target. He'd be ideal for Crosby. A long term power forward in the Stevens-Tocchet mold. Perfect.

I'd look at Toronto closely because of all the talk about their lack of leadership. Maybe we could ship Craig Adams their way. Maybe they'd take Dupuis. Maybe Kunitz or Martin.

We need to get younger legs in here and TRY hard to dump some of these awful contracts we have.

You know what. I wouldn't be looking to run guys off, but I'd be listening on ANYONE not named Crosby or Malkin.

I wouldn't give away Martin, but if someone were to pay a premium, then bye-bye.

Like you, same with Kunitz.

I'm not suggesting a rebuild, but I'd kind of be looking to sell and buy and to get younger. At the same time, enough of drafting with an eye towards when Crosby is north of 30. Need to start getting guys who can make a more immediate contribution.

Sid and Geno may no longer be as young, but there's no reason you shouldn't be surrounding them with youth.

Here's the kicker though: To do that, you NEED a GM willing to take some calculated risks, and Shero is as risk averse as any GM is in the NHL when it comes to trading anything more than futures.

As I said, the market is open for anyone not named Sid or Geno. Do note that means I'm NOT giving up Maatta unless someone is giving up a true young top line winger on a very cap friendly deal to get him.

Obviously Nisky > Orpik, but I can't see us finding a partner to get rid of Letang or Scuderi's contract.

You'll find a partner for Letang. You might not like the return, and there will be risk involved (as has been discussed), but you'll find someone.

Scuderi will be tough, but a team desperate for defense will pay the price. Thing is, you'd be talking a team like Edmonton, and Ray Shero would never trade him there.

**** I hate that whole Shero thinks he's got to be a good guy because otherwise future free agents won't want to sign here. So stupid, and proven so wrong by guys like Homer and others.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Sid and Geno may no longer be as young, but there's no reason you shouldn't be surrounding them with youth.

At this point, Malkin and Crosby should be two of the oldest players on this team. MAYBE sprinkle in 1-2 guys older, but that's it.

penguins2946*

The Pens can't trade all of their veteran D. They need some veterans to help the rookies develop and ease them into the lineup. That's why the Oilers D has sucked so bad for about 7 years now. We should keep Niskanen, Martin and Scuderi. Trade Letang for a young top-9 winger+. Let Orpik and Engelland walk. We shouldn't trade Scuderi until his replacement (Harrington) is ready. Trade Niskanen when his replacement (Pouliot) is ready. For the love of god, retain Martin at any cost. Our 2016-2017 D needs to shape up like:

Maatta-Martin
Pouliot-Harrington
Dumoulin/Despres-Bortuzzo
Samuelsson

I'm expecting one of Despres or Dumoulin to be moved in the offseason though, and I'm thinking Despres sadly. The problem with that lineup is that all of those D are left handed, maybe Shero should have hoarded some RHD.

Also, drafting Richie at 3 would be a big mistake, especially if Bennett or Reinhart are still available. Richie probably won't be drafted until 9 or 10, so if we got the third pick, we should trade down with Anaheim or someone (Palmieri and the 10th pick for the 3rd pick? :naughty:)

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
The Pens can't trade all of their veteran D. They need some veterans to help the rookies develop and ease them into the lineup. That's why the Oilers D has sucked so bad for about 7 years now. We should keep Niskanen, Martin and Scuderi. Trade Letang for a young top-9 winger+. Let Orpik and Engelland walk. We shouldn't trade Scuderi until his replacement (Harrington) is ready. Trade Niskanen when his replacement (Pouliot) is ready. For the love of god, retain Martin at any cost. Our 2016-2017 D needs to shape up like:

Maatta-Martin
Pouliot-Harrington
Dumoulin/Despres-Bortuzzo
Samuelsson

I'm expecting one of Despres or Dumoulin to be moved in the offseason though, and I'm thinking Despres sadly. The problem with that lineup is that all of those D are left handed, maybe Shero should have hoarded some RHD.

Also, drafting Richie at 3 would be a big mistake, especially if Bennett or Reinhart are still available. Richie probably won't be drafted until 9 or 10, so if we got the third pick, we should trade down with Anaheim or someone (Palmieri and the 10th pick for the 3rd pick? :naughty:)

First of all, Edmonton is a hopeless case. They don't have nearly the same caliber of young defensemen we have. AND, Edmonton actually started winning some games when they started inserting more youth on their blueline, like Klefbom and Marincin. Before that, they were rolling with the likes of Corey Potter. Yeah.

Secondly, I am assuming Bylsma's gone with every post in this thread. Obviously, if he isn't gone then the kids will get screwed over yet again.

I would really like to see this blueline next year (and beyond):

Maatta-Bortuzzo
Despres-Niskanen/Letang/Martin*
Pouliot/Dumoulin-Harrington/Samuelsson

*Niskanen if we can re-sign him at a reasonable deal. Letang if we can't unload him, otherwise Martin.

Let's see what we have with these young blueliners. We have them. Let's use them. And also, OPEN COMPETITION in camp would be nice, instead of fighting for the crumbs.

themethod7

Jan 25, 2013
NWPA
Depending on what he can bring back I'd be interested in seeing what a guy like Kunitz would bring back

On a team with a glaring lack of forward depth, you want to trade a guy coming off a 35g season (would have been 2 straight if not for the lockout), and the only guy to have chemistry with our franchise center who's earning a reputation for being hard to play with... WHY???

penguins2946*

First of all, Edmonton is a hopeless case. They don't have nearly the same caliber of young defensemen we have. AND, Edmonton actually started winning some games when they started inserting more youth on their blueline, like Klefbom and Marincin. Before that, they were rolling with the likes of Corey Potter. Yeah.

Yes they do. Nurse, Klefbom, Marincin, and Schultz are all very promising young players. In fact, with the loss of Morrow last year, I'd say they have a better D prospect pool than we do. It won't be close when the Oilers draft Ekblad this year.

Secondly, I am assuming Bylsma's gone with every post in this thread. Obviously, if he isn't gone then the kids will get screwed over yet again.

Maatta-Bortuzzo

*Niskanen if we can re-sign him at a reasonable deal. Letang if we can't unload him, otherwise Martin.

Let's see what we have with these young blueliners. We have them. Let's use them. And also, OPEN COMPETITION in camp would be nice, instead of fighting for the crumbs.

That would be a terrible blue line for next year. You can't just throw prospects into the fray and expect them to float. There should be 3 young players playing every game next year, Despres/Dumoulin (whichever one doesn't get traded), Bortuzzo and Despres. Throwing out an all-rookie blue line completely ****s up their development. Especially with D prospects, you need to show patience with them. Harrington isn't going to be ready next year. Neither will Pouliot (his offensive game is ready though). Bortuzzo should be nowhere close to our top pair. Hell, Maatta as the #1 would create a problem as well. He slowed down from playing a handful of games with top pair minutes, what would he do with a full season? We don't need another Tyler Myers.

themethod7

Jan 25, 2013
NWPA

Maatta-Bortuzzo

So of those three, one of which is in line for a big time payday in a few weeks, Martin is your last choice???

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
So of those three, one of which is in line for a big time payday in a few weeks, Martin is your last choice???

Because he's easily more tradeable than Letang I would suspect. Also, have you watched him getting schooled this series? We're not exactly playing against the Soviet Red Army. Guys like Brandon Dubinsky and Matt Calvert are walking right around the guy.

I get that everybody likes this guy for some reason here, and his stats look good, but can anybody honestly say Paul Martin is passing the eyeball test this series? In fact, when has he ever stepped up big time in the playoffs?

The points are nice, but he's basically turned into what Letang used to be...all points, and scary-bad defense.

Now Letang is just all bad.

penguins2946*

I would consider moving Martin at the deadline for a stupid overpayment if one of Despres, Maatta or Pouliot shows they could handle the pressure and role. However, I wouldn't move him in the offseason.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
What if I just use it to bash Shero over the head?

He would give it a 4 year, 4M AAV contract.

"Cinder Block is an inanimate object that we made the mistake of letting go of, years ago. If I worry about how Cinder Block is going to be playing four years from now -- I'm not going to get him."

themethod7

Jan 25, 2013
NWPA
Because he's easily more tradeable than Letang I would suspect. Also, have you watched him getting schooled this series? We're not exactly playing against the Soviet Red Army. Guys like Brandon Dubinsky and Matt Calvert are walking right around the guy.

I get that everybody likes this guy for some reason here, and his stats look good, but can anybody honestly say Paul Martin is passing the eyeball test this series? In fact, when has he ever stepped up big time in the playoffs?

The points are nice, but he's basically turned into what Letang used to be...all points, and scary-bad defense.

Now Letang is just all bad.

Apparently we've been watching two different series.

Rocket of Russia

Needs more Tang
Mar 8, 2012
USA
This probably isn't the best thread to read through after last night....so I won't.

But if anyone is talking getting rid of star players before getting rid of Bylsma....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia