Salary Cap: Pen Salary Cap: Dr StrangeDubas "Sir, you can't let him in here. He'll see everything. He'll see the big board!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Petry wasn't trash though. Just overpaid. Probably coulda played at a 4.5 or 5M level.
Rutta wasn't trash either. DeSmith is a league average backup. Ned could be worse for sure.
Yea but Granlund gone with 0% retention (amazing how he made it 2 trades without a single dollar of retention). CDS, disposed of. Petry needed to go in this trade so to pay some retention there is understandable. Rutta, well, I feel he also probably needed to go now that we are paying a d-man 10 mil. Tough to justify that cap hit for a 3rd pairing when we have POJ and Ty Smith right now.

Given the circumstances this is a marvel of a trade, seriously. I don't think it completely walks back the atrocity that was the Tristan Jarry deal, but it sure as hell will pump this org up to be running 87-71-65-58 out there. I mean how fun is that for Sid and Geno's last hoorah into the sun..

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
The Penguins Powerplay will actually be a threat.

Let that sink in....

Since Gonchar left over a decade ago they have never had someone even close.

Reactions: Zirakzigil

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Man what a job the Doobler did. Got rid of so many contracts and gave up minimal assets in return.

Giving up that first hardly hurts at all given all the prospects we kept

Lost in all of this excitement is one sobering fact:

Chad Ruhwedel is probably a regular now lol. Unless they're going with two leftys on the third pair

Reactions: Andy99 and Zbynek

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
This is fair but I think you have to consider that EK is a major upgrade for this team. The boost to the powerplay alone should yield very good results for us. We needed this. And we gave away mediocre pieces.
It's just a lot for him to compensate for, mathematically. You have to factor in all the goals he'll allow that Petry wouldn't.
He has to make up for the goals Smith will surrender that Rutta wouldn't. And he has to make up for the goals Ned could allow that DeSmith wouldn't.

There's a lot of moving parts here though. It depends on how Smith and Ned perform. That can make it look better.

We also need to factor in Pitlick (I guess), the money saved, and the freedom from Granlund and Petry being overpaid, and whatever that surplus is relative to performance.

It's difficult to outright say whether we won or lost the deal. Time will tell.

But I'm with everyone else in that this is what I wanted, ultimately. If they're gonna lose, lose in style.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Yea but Granlund gone with 0% retention (amazing how he made it 2 trades without a single dollar of retention). CDS, disposed of. Petry needed to go in this trade so to pay some retention there is understandable. Rutta, well, I feel he also probably needed to go now that we are paying a d-man 10 mil. Tough to justify that cap hit for a 3rd pairing when we have POJ and Ty Smith right now.

Given the circumstances this is a marvel of a trade, seriously. I don't think it completely walks back the atrocity that was the Tristan Jarry deal, but it sure as hell will pump this org up to be running 87-71-65-58 out there. I mean how fun is that for Sid and Geno's last hoorah into the sun..
It's true. There's so much that changed with this deal that we need to process all of it and see what happens from here before assessing it.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
It's just a lot for him to compensate for, mathematically. You have to factor in all the goals he'll allow that Petry wouldn't.
He has to make up for the goals Smith will surrender that Rutta wouldn't. And he has to make up for the goals Ned could allow that DeSmith wouldn't.

There's a lot of moving parts here though. It depends on how Smith and Ned perform. That can make it look better.

We also need to factor in Pitlick (I guess), the money saved, and the freedom from Granlund and Petry being overpaid, and whatever that surplus is relative to performance.

But I'm with everyone else in that this is what I wanted, ultimately. If they're gonna lose, lose in style.
I mean, this a true, but it will be true for every possible trade that could be made. If you're going to roll the dice, Erik Karlsson after a 100pt season isn't a bad one to do it with.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015

You also have to look at the pp and how Karlsson will affect that.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
It's 8/6 today...which means tomorrow is Sid's bday. Not a terrible bday present.

This all comes together minutes before the buyout window for Granlund closes. Be interesting to hear what would have happened if it didn't go down.

Reactions: MrBurghundy

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Guentzel-Crosby-Rakell
Smith-Malkin-Rust
Pitlick-Eller-Acciari
O'Connor-Carter-Nieto
Hinostroza/Johnsson

Graves-Letang
Pettersson-Karlsson
POJ-Ruhwedel
Smith

Jarry-Nedjelkovic

The only thing I think this team needs is a 3rd line RW to push Acciari to the 4C spot and Carter out of the lineup. But beyond that, this lineup is sitting really well.

People may not like Ruhwedel as a regular, but Ruhwedel as your #6 ain't gonna matter with Graves-Letang and Pettersson-Karlsson as your top-4.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
so do the pens have cap space to potentially sign a bottom pairing defenseman or sign tatar?
I theory, yes. They have $6mil from Jake's LTIR. Now whether or not they do is up for debate. They seem to have collected a long list of bottom 6 players:

Pitlick
Eller
Accari
Nieto
Johnsson
Hinostranza
Carter
DOC

That said, Jake is out...which ones one of those guys or a guy like Puustinen, Poulin, etc will have to go to the top 6.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
You also have to look at the pp and how Karlsson will affect that.
I am, for sure. I'd guess we gain like 5 PPGs from what we otherwise would have deployed.
It's not insignificant, but we also lost some guys that would have helped with goal differential in other ways.

It's hard to measure. EK's gonna help with Forward production, and not always get points on those goals.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
I am, for sure. I'd guess we gain like 5 PPGs from what we otherwise would have deployed.
It's not insignificant, but we also lost some guys that would have helped with goal differential in other ways.

It's hard to measure. EK's gonna help with Forward production, and not always get points on those goals.

This also should help with Letangs icetime. I expect Letang to have a better year with this as well.

People forget Dumo also got replaced and that should help.

Letang should benefit the most from this offseason.

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Does anyone know the conditions of the 1st round pick? If it is top 10, does it slide untill 2025? chances are we are gonna be even worse by then.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
This also should help with Letangs icetime. I expect Letang to have a better year with this as well.

People forget Dumo also got replaced and that should help.

Letang should benefit the most from this offseason.
One aspect I really will enjoy is that we'll have an offensively inclined D-man on the ice at all times when we're healthy, assuming Smith plays over Ruhwedel...

Yeah, Dumo out for Graves was the biggest net gain in contributing to wins this summer IMO. Super happy with that signing, especially given how he'll be highly tradeable in a few years most likely. Could be a good return, at a time where we need that.

This will be good for Letang too, agreed.

PoHO Kyle Dubas to step aside so the Pens can promote GM Kyle Dubas to PoHO Kyle Dubas to ensure Kyle Dubas doesn't lose Kyle Dubas? I like it.
New title: Pittsburgh Penguins Grand Overseer of Operations

Kasperi kapanen

Jul 23, 2014
Does anyone know the conditions of the 1st round pick? If it is top 10, does it slide untill 2025? chances are we are gonna be even worse by then.
yes, it will then be a 2025 1st but i highly doubt we’re bad enough to be top 10 in 2024.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
1691339477126.png

This dude's actually quite the pumper for a bottom 6'er. :laugh:
He can't defend worth a damn, but that is a top 6 scoring rate relative to minutes.

If all your bottom 6'ers were a 1.81, you're likely leading the league in GF/G.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad