Salary Cap: Pen Salary Cap: Dr StrangeDubas "Sir, you can't let him in here. He'll see everything. He'll see the big board!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Dubas right now:
giphy.gif

View attachment 729673Saw this posted on reddit. MM was also the first one to say that Dubas was gonna sign. If Pens are the only team in it, Dubas must not be offering much so Grier is holding out.

Lol at caring what any Pittsburgh writers, let alone Robert Rossi, say about a potential trade. How has he been right about his Karlsson reporting? Because nothing has happened? Does that mean he was right on his Yandle reporting since nothing happened there either?

He knows the same amount as any of us: jack **** until a real news breaker reports something.

I have no doubt EK will waive for here. And we are a better fit than Carolina demand want him more. It's the trading a HOF player for a poo poo platter + retaining $3+ million on his salary that will make Sharks ownership/management/fans barf to the point where they convince themselves to not take the harsh medicine. That is where we are at.

Also regarding the Sparks contract, the Penguins are going to have to move DeSmith to become cap compliant so I think he’s another guy on the depth chart. I imagine their goalie depth next year is going to be:

Pittsburgh: Jarry and Nedjelkovic
WBS: Hellberg, Gauthier and Blomqvist
Wheeling: Sparks and Nappier

Dubas has made an emphasis on having extra goalie depth and having a tandem of Sparks and Nappier as your ECHL goalies is exactly that. You might see one of Blomqvist or Gauthier shuffle between WBS and Wheeling to get more games as needed (with Sparks coming up when one of them goes down), but I think this is going to be the general layout.

Try and keep this one on topic please.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Anyway back to the Karlsson talk, I don’t necessarily 100% believe Rossi but it’s also worth considering:

1. Rossi has generally been spot on with this Karlsson reporting
2. There have been other reports that suggest the Canes aren’t all that interested in Karlsson unless it’s a discount

It wouldn’t surprise me if it was just Pittsburgh in on Karlsson and Karlsson did just want to go to Pittsburgh.
I still think it's similar to the Kessel trade. Karlsson wants to win but comes with the hefty price tag and full control on destination. He's likely narrowed it down and I imagine a bunch of teams are like "Nope. No room or we are not making room nor are we paying the price". So, yeah it's like trimmed it down to Pittsburgh - who as the willingness to do it and the slot to put him in - but I imagine at the moment it's the price tag and the realization of how much you have to retain if you're Grier.

I think the "why" behind the urgency of needing to trade the player is different between Karlsson and Kessel but I think "yeah you need to do it this off season so..." is the same.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I am absolutely loathe to believe anything by most of the local journos but I'd love to think that EK actually did say that Carolina can sit and spin because Burns is a jackass and they play the kind of game that makes you want to gouge your eyeballs out. Because they do.

I already liked Karlsson so that would endear him even more.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I am absolutely loathe to believe anything by most of the local journos but I'd love to think that EK actually did say that Carolina can sit and spin because Burns is a jackass and they play the kind of game that makes you want to gouge your eyeballs out. Because they do.

Yeah I doubt he was like "I'd hate to play for Carolina", but his play style just doesn't fit at all on Carolina and he'd be a much better fit on Pittsburgh. From a play style standpoint, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Karlsson just didn't want to play in a restricted style like Carolina as opposed to a more offensive style in Pittsburgh.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021

I still can't get past the history of EK and Burns

EK did not do well when he was on the same team as Burns. So why would he sign up for another round of that?

On the flip side, that scenario makes me worried EK won't do well if we were to obtain him bc of Letang

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Yeah I doubt he was like "I'd hate to play for Carolina", but his play style just doesn't fit at all on Carolina and he'd be a much better fit on Pittsburgh. From a play style standpoint, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Karlsson just didn't want to play in a restricted style like Carolina as opposed to a more offensive style in Pittsburgh.

I know the Penguins don't have much room to talk these days regarding entertainment but at least they TRIED to play the sport for many, many years and have kinda built a brand on excitement. I dunno quite what you'd call what Carolina does but it's not really hockey IMO. I low key hate that team and do a little fist pump every time they go down in flames every playoffs after getting ballwashed by everyone for a full season.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Look, if your interim GM and POHO is going all in on The Sullivan Plan then you get a good zone entry/transition D guy and hope it works out lol

You’ll be asleep a long time Rip Van Winkle…
Maybe we need to help out the Canes. Go after 230 lb Burns and they can have Karlsson

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I still think that the Karlsson trade won't involve Granlund going out and it will involve heavy retention from San Jose and maybe 1 other team.

I'm still sticking with:

-Penguins get Karlsson at $7.5 million
-Sharks get Petry, Smith, Poulin and a conditional 2025 1st (1st if they make the ECF in 2024 or 2025, 2nd otherwise) while retaining $2 million on Karlsson
-Anaheim gets a 2024 1st for retaining $2 million on Karlsson

In total, it's Petry, Smith, Poulin, a 2024 1st and a conditional 2025 1st for Karlsson at $7.5 million, but San Jose loses the 2024 1st to a third team because they're not willing to eat the full $4 million.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I still can't get past the history of EK and Burns

EK did not do well when he was on the same team as Burns. So why would he sign up for another round of that?

On the flip side, that scenario makes me worried EK won't do well if we were to obtain him bc of Letang
And this is where having a good coach, who is great at player usage comes in ... oh shit, nevermind.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

I dunno how much I buy the Burns stuff. Or hell really most of this stuff.

But I suspect if there were actually friction between the two it went beyond sharing ice. EK has never struck me as having to be THE guy 24/7 but I could be wrong.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Also, the idea that Karlsson and Burns didn't work well together in San Jose isn't exactly right. It's just that both are better being the primary offensive drivers from the defense on their teams. Karlsson and Burns both had great seasons away from each other last year, but the two were mostly good with each other in the years both played in San Jose.

It's just that both take away the production from the other a bit. I imagine that will happen to Karlsson in Pittsburgh as well, but that still should have him producing at a 60-70 point pace over a full season. My expectations for both Letang and Karlsson on the same team would be about 65 points for Karlsson and 55 points for Letang, assuming both play a full 82 game season.

For reference, Letang has paced for 65 points per 82 games over the last 8 seasons (406 points in 514 games) and Karlsson has paced for 72 points per 82 games over the last 8 seasons (458 points in 523 games). Both guys will have their production fall from having to split minutes, but both should still be very productive defensemen.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I still think that the Karlsson trade won't involve Granlund going out and it will involve heavy retention from San Jose and maybe 1 other team.

I'm still sticking with:

-Penguins get Karlsson at $7.5 million
-Sharks get Petry, Smith, Poulin and a conditional 2025 1st (1st if they make the ECF in 2024 or 2025, 2nd otherwise) while retaining $2 million on Karlsson
-Anaheim gets a 2024 1st for retaining $2 million on Karlsson

In total, it's Petry, Smith, Poulin, a 2024 1st and a conditional 2025 1st for Karlsson at $7.5 million, but San Jose loses the 2024 1st to a third team because they're not willing to eat the full $4 million.

I think San Jose would prefer to take Granlund and that 2024 pick. So they retain $2m and also take Granlund and Petry. Maybe even DeSmith.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think San Jose would prefer to take Granlund and that 2024 pick. So they retain $2m and also take Granlund and Petry. Maybe even DeSmith.

The Penguins need Karlsson to be coming in at $8.5 million or less, so adding Granlund doesn't change anything unless the Sharks are willing to retain more money.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
The Penguins need Karlsson to be coming in at $8.5 million or less, so adding Granlund doesn't change anything unless the Sharks are willing to retain more money.

Why?

Buyout out Granlund costs is $2m per year in years 3-4. I don't understand the difference.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Re-signing DOC and no other moves (23 man roster), I've got the Pens being over the cap by about $1.4M to $2M.

You send Ruhwedel to WBS and don't replace him and the Pens are still over the cap.

Something is happening.
Where's CDS in that calculation?

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Wake me up when EK watch kicks into high gear.
When DOC has his arbitration hearing shortly thereafter is alleged the deal to come to PIT will be completed. Personally, they could do the deal beforehand and do the buyouts later. They/we can over the cap in the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad