PC Building Guide and Discussion #13

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
what I mean is choosing a specific range of on area to connect with other people on a game. For example, when quick searching for a lobby, it will only connect you to someone in the specific range that you gave.

Are you talking about connecting to a VPN to spoof your location? That would prioritize game lobbies near to the VPN server that you're connecting to, rather than where you physically are. Playing through a VPN is not really recommended, though, because it'll likely be laggier.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Are you talking about connecting to a VPN to spoof your location? That would prioritize game lobbies near to the VPN server that you're connecting to, rather than where you physically are. Playing through a VPN is not really recommended, though, because it'll likely be laggier.
It's shown here at 2:31:36

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
It's shown here at 2:31:36

Oh, I see. I haven't seen that before. It looks like a feature of the Netgear "XR500 Gaming Router" called "Geo-Filter." You can see that for yourself, though, so maybe you're asking if it goes by a different name under other router software? That, I don't know. Like I said, I haven't seen that before, though, so I doubt that it's widespread. It may be something that's available only on gamer-targeted routers.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Oh, I see. I haven't seen that before. It looks like a feature of the Netgear "XR500 Gaming Router" called "Geo-Filter." You can see that for yourself, though, so maybe you're asking if it goes by a different name under other router software? That, I don't know. Like I said, I haven't seen that before, though, so I doubt that it's widespread. It may be something that's available only on gamer-targeted routers.
Ya, I wasn't sure if it was something specific for that router or was more commonly available.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Ya, I wasn't sure if it was something specific for that router or was more commonly available.

Is it some sort of thing to help the crappy match making systems not have you connect to servers/players that are high ping basically?

EDIT : answering my own question:
Is the Netduma compatible with every game? - Netduma.com

Yeah I think Osprey is right It doesn't seem terribly common.

I don't think it would be all that useful for PC TBH. Even crappy PC games with only matchmaking still usually have more filter options than do the console versions.

Last edited:

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
So is the Ryzen 5 3600 currently the best 65 TDP cpu?

I'm looking at building another mini-itx system in a Dan Case (this time for myself). The wife's i7-9700 is working fine in hers but it looks like the 3600 is not only cheaper but potentially better. The only caveat is that most of the savings will be offset by the higher cost of an x570 itx MOBO. I have also "heard" rumors of the Ryzen running really hot but have not seen any reviews that discuss it.

Should note that this will mostly be a gaming PC (paired with either an RTX 2070 super or 2080) and used very seldom for any weekend work I might have. That work would include basic stuff like MS Office Suite (mostly large and formula heavy excel files) and possibly some .sql work using TOAD. To be honest though, the work related tasks aren't very important to me as this is my personal home PC, not a work one.

Last edited:

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
So is the Ryzen 5 3600 currently the best 65 TDP cpu?

I'm looking at building another mini-itx system in a Dan Case (this time for myself). The wife's i7-9700 is working fine in hers but it looks like the 3600 is not only cheaper but potentially better. The only caveat is that most of the savings will be offset by the higher cost of an x570 itx MOBO. I have also "heard" rumors of the Ryzen running really hot but have not seen any reviews that discuss it.

Should note that this will mostly be a gaming PC (paired with either an RTX 2070 super or 2080) and used very seldom for any weekend work I might have. That work would include basic stuff like MS Office Suite (mostly large and formula heavy excel files) and possibly some .sql work using TOAD. To be honest though, the work related tasks aren't very important to me as this is my personal home PC, not a work one.
Well, AMD claims the 3700x is 65W so technically no.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Well, AMD claims the 3700x is 65W so technically no.
Yeah but the difference between the two is 6 vs 8 cores (honestly, I have no clue if that would make a difference to me or not), the boost clock of 4.2 to 4.4 (again not sure if that will be noticeable in gaming or not) and the price-tag $194.79 vs $328.90 (I know which one my wife would prefer.)

Now that I've actually typed that out, I suppose I'll be going with the 3600. However, I would like to read some comments on whether or not there is an actual difference between the two in a gaming experience. I imagine a video editor or streamer would notice a difference with the extra cores but not sure if an average gamer would.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Yeah but the difference between the two is 6 vs 8 cores (honestly, I have no clue if that would make a difference to me or not), the boost clock of 4.2 to 4.4 (again not sure if that will be noticeable in gaming or not) and the price-tag $194.79 vs $328.90 (I know which one my wife would prefer.)

Now that I've actually typed that out, I suppose I'll be going with the 3600. However, I would like to read some comments on whether or not there is an actual difference between the two in a gaming experience. I imagine a video editor or streamer would notice a difference with the extra cores but not sure if an average gamer would.
All the 3rd gen ryzens are the same for gaming. You'll barely see any difference between a 3600 and a 3900x let alone 3600 and 3700x

Reactions: SniperHF

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
By the way about the thermals, I actually have the 3600 in a regular ATX case. Its about 35C idle (as well as browsing and playing media) and 50-60 underload (gaming), will only hit like 80 running cinebench. I think itd do alright in an itx build.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Got any ideas why notification sounds from Skype and Discord will briefly tank my FPS while playing games? I could be playing PUBG and then bam, sound goes off and my FPS could go from 80 to like 20 and then back up. Any thoughts why this happens? The on board sound for my mobo is updated as far as it could go and I know my GPU is mostly updated (not the one from the past week or so). Turning off the sound will keep the FPS from dropping, but that doesn't tell me why it's happening in the first place. Do you think it's because since it's the onboard sound that it would be causing this? Do you think getting PCI-e/USB sound card would fix this issue?

Also, when getting notifications from Discord, I sometimes get a weirdly noticeable double sound, like it briefly stutters when it starts the sounds and then finishes off fine, like the sound itself lagged.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Discord will briefly tank my FPS while playing games?

Discord hits my performance as well, I never noticed it specifically with sounds or not but when I shut it off stuff runs better. I never found a fix though. My guess was it was related to the in game overlays.

I'd be surprised if onboard sound was hitting it that much. Maybe run afterburner's graph and see if you get CPU spikes to 100%? after it happens.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I have X1 running since I have an EVGA RTX 2080, but I can have Task Manager up on the other window and it would tell me if it spikes the CPU. If it does spike the CPU, what can you recommend at that point? Also, the drivers are over 2 years old and have yet to be updated since. I'm legit okay with buying a separate sound card if need be.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
By the way, I just took this screenshot. This spike was when a Discord notification sound happened. And this is on an i7-6700K running at 4GHz.

Nh0Vi3P.jpg

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Got any ideas why notification sounds from Skype and Discord will briefly tank my FPS while playing games?

Are you talking about Windows notifications? If so and you have Windows 10, trying playing with Focus Assist in Settings.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Nope, just notification sounds. And from Sniper, it seems that Windows 10 1903 is a piece of shit when it comes to audio as there are some big issues with it.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
So the XL version of the Lian-Li dynamic came out a couple of weeks ago and I ordered one immediately--but it went on back-order even more immediately. :|

Waiting to start building is killing me, I wonder how long it could take to get more in stock.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
It means exactly what you just did, overclocked your RAM to 3200mhz. When it says OC* by the specs that's what the manufacturer has tested their board at. It's not a guarantee to work.
2666 to 3200 is pretty good if it's stable. Memory can seem stable then all t he sudden you'll get a bunch of crashes depending on what you're doing.

You can usually even go higher if your RAM can handle it. My board is a OC* 2400 but I can still select higher than that.
Oddly, I finally found a really good stress test for this. The fortnite blackhole. Its weird because you'd think its just a screensaver video file, but no, it puts a ton of stress on your system with the framerate unlocked. Unfortunately, it was crashing, and setting the memory back to stock speeds solved the problem. Whatever, 2666 is fine enough for me, I'm on a 75 and 60 HZ display anyways.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Oddly, I finally found a really good stress test for this. The fortnite blackhole. Its weird because you'd think its just a screensaver video file, but no, it puts a ton of stress on your system with the framerate unlocked. Unfortunately, it was crashing, and setting the memory back to stock speeds solved the problem. Whatever, 2666 is fine enough for me, I'm on a 75 and 60 HZ display anyways.

It's possible you could get stable at higher freqs if you loosen timings or increase dram/mem controller voltage. But it depends how much you wanna screw around with it. Usually not worth the effort for RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad