PC Building Guide and Discussion #13

Status
Not open for further replies.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Call me crazy, but I don't think you two are really that much in disagreement.

You already agreed to the optimization being less than ideal, and SeidoN's main criticism seems to be not that the demand is too high necessarily, but that the demand is too high for the level of visuals you get out of it (even excluding DXR).

I understand you are reacting to the horde of outrage on the internet in general, but I don't see any dishonesty in this thread in particular.

But hey, we can agree to disagree. Either way it's an interesting discussion.

Side note, but the DX11 vs DX12 is a weird argument, isn't it? I mean again, call me crazy, but I thought DX12 was supposed to be more efficient, not less.

Then again, very little about the DX12 hype from years back has actually come to pass....multi-GPU is still abysmal, for example.

Last edited:

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
Side note, but the DX11 vs DX12 is a weird argument, isn't it? I mean again, call me crazy, but I thought DX12 was supposed to be more efficient, not less.

DX12 was in a weird spot for a while, hell still is. The first real DX12 game I played was Hitman and the DX12 mode was much much worse than DX11, but recently some games do a fair bit better under DX12. the implementation is coming along I suppose

Reactions: Commander Clueless

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
DX12 was in a weird spot for a while, hell still is. The first real DX12 game I played was Hitman and the DX12 mode was much much worse than DX11, but recently some games do a fair bit better under DX12. the implementation is coming along I suppose

True. I remember the hype back in the day reducing GPU requirements, allowing true multi-GPU, etc. Maybe in another 5 years....:laugh:

Then again, maybe the industry should just run everything in Vulkan.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
Call me crazy, but I don't think you two are really that much in disagreement.

I mean he has still concluded I havent played the game despite me telling him I had so y'know

the only difference is I didnt play it on my own PC. and I didnt see the point in specifying that since I dont agree that the source of the problem is a weaker GPU *shrug*

Last edited:

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

The game runs much smoother on DX11. I don't know all the details but DX12 is more demanding/not as stable, especially since Control and a lot of other DX12 game suffer from stuttering due to what I believe is some kind of memory leak.

So when someone says "look at this benchmark for proof that the game runs like crap" and it is 4K, ultra DX12 the only answer is "well yeah, that is the most taxing you can make the game". They fail to mention that the game has a DLSS that makes even 4k run a lot better (the Nvidia sharpening filter helps with the DLSS smear a good deal too) or that there is DX11 that runs fine for people who don't want RTX or don't have the power for it.

Are we supposed to be distraught that a 1080ti can't run Control at DX12 with all the options? Of course not, that GPU doesn't have the means to do it.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
The game runs much smoother on DX11. I don't know all the details but DX12 is more demanding/not as stable, especially since Control and a lot of other DX12 game suffer from stuttering due to what I believe is some kind of memory leak.

Yes, it is true for a lot of games.

I don't know if it's a problem with the DX12 API itself, or struggles with developing for it (lil' o column A, a touch o column B perhaps), but either way it's a far cry from what it was said to be years ago and it confuses and disappoints me to this day.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I mean he has still concluded I havent played the game despite me telling him I had so y'know

Several months ago, he mischaracterized an argument that I once made, didn't acknowledge me when I corrected him on it, eventually repeated it word for word and didn't acknowledge me when I corrected him on it again. He seems to be doing something similar with you by misrepresenting you to bolster his own argument while, ironically, claiming to be standing up to dishonesty.

Edit: He hasn't acknowledged this post, either, leading me to suspect that he has me on ignore. He may've similarly put you on ignore before you corrected him. I guess that quieting people who disagree with him is his trick to feel more sure that he's right.

Last edited:

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Well a sizable patch for Control has just released. Considering how fast that was, odds seem good that they were already working on the optimization but had to make the release date.

We shall see how it fares tonight.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
This is good news. The first parts of a new build are on the way, starting with an x570 board, so I'm somewhat commited.

I don't really think you'd have noticed much real world performance hit even if it wasn't fixed, but it is good to know that it is a fixable bug and not a poor marketing decision.

Reactions: sigma six

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
Yeah I don't really get lighting on chairs or headsets, etc. since you really can't see it. My current headset has RGB but....it's on my head.

Speaking of lighting, my quest to find a case with front accent lighting but no tempered glass side panels continues...

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
Installed my new psu and no crashes yet. One thing I've noticed is my gpu temps dropped a good 5c. I'm wondering if this is because I'm running 2 seperate pcie cables say opposed to the 1 that split off on my old psu?

Also my 3700x currently boost max to 4275. I've never seen it hit 4.3.

Reactions: SeidoN

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I don't really think you'd have noticed much real world performance hit even if it wasn't fixed,
Correct.
Clock speed isn't really that big an issue anyway at these levels. It's like OCing your new CPU 400mhz and seeing no performance change. Well yeah the program is probably 8 threaded minimum and none are working 100% anyway

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
I'm planning on moving my game library drive, standard hdd to a m.2.

Anyone know of the easiest way or program to use?

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I'm planning on moving my game library drive, standard hdd to a m.2.

Anyone know of the easiest way or program to use?

I wouldn't use a program at all, I'd copy/paste, shut down, Unplug the old drive, boot back up and assign the new drive the letter of the old drive, done.

Did this myself recently.

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
I wouldn't use a program at all, I'd copy/paste, shut down, Unplug the old drive, boot back up and assign the new drive the letter of the old drive, done.

Did this myself recently.

So you don't have to clone at all? I didn't realize you could just copy and paste. I think the biggest pain would be setting it back up with all the different launchers.

I honestly don't even have a purpose for the hdd so I may just leave it unplugged until I need it.

Last edited:

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
So you don't have to clone at all? I didn't realize you could just copy and paste. I think the biggest pain would be setting it back up with all the different launchers.

I honestly don't even have a purpose for the hdd so I may just leave it unplugged until I need it.

If I understood your description of the game library drive right, it's just a drive that holds files and has no OS and such. So anything in the registry will be on your OS drive, and as far as it's concerned files are files if the directory structure is 100% the same.

So I'd just copy paste every single file/folder. If it's more than 1 TB you might break it up do A-M alphabetically in one copy paste then the rest or something along those lines.

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
If I understood your description of the game library drive right, it's just a drive that holds files and has no OS and such. So anything in the registry will be on your OS drive, and as far as it's concerned files are files if the directory structure is 100% the same.

So I'd just copy paste every single file/folder. If it's more than 1 TB you might break it up do A-M alphabetically in one copy paste then the rest or something along those lines.

That's correct it's just a game drive. I have a separate ssd for my OS boot drive etc.

It's about 600gb so that's not an issue at all. I'll do that tonight thanks.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
That's correct it's just a game drive. I have a separate ssd for my OS boot drive etc.

It's about 600gb so that's not an issue at all. I'll do that tonight thanks.

Also you should enable viewing of hidden files and folders if you haven't already. You can do it in folder options.

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
Also you should enable viewing of hidden files and folders if you haven't already. You can do it in folder options.

Cool sounds good. I'll check that out to.

I haven't had any issues with the new power supply. Played Gears 5 for over an hour no hiccups or anything. Sucks I had to spend the extra money but glad it's working.

Smoke

~consume enhance replicate~
Aug 2, 2005
PA
I had a 9900k go bad on me. I didn't even overclock it yet.

Safe to say I didn't win that lottery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese