PC Building Guide and Discussion #13

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
Is Intel considered better for gaming over Ryzen? I might be looking for an upgrade over the i5-6500 in the next year or so.

Ryzen has far better price to performance. if you want pure high end performance and are willing to pay then you can grab an Intel but Ryzen is such a good deal right now, especially the 2600 and 3600

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Ryzen has far better price to performance. if you want pure high end performance and are willing to pay then you can grab an Intel but Ryzen is such a good deal right now, especially the 2600 and 3600
How is their single thread performance compared to Intel? As I understand, thats what important for gaming?

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
How is their single thread performance compared to Intel? As I understand, thats what important for gaming?

It's not different enough to matter. Also the significance of single thread performance is diminishing monthly. In many cases the Intels are slower at single threaded performance now. But the lead isn't that big. with Ryzen 2xxx's and older it was different.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
It's not different enough to matter. Also the significance of single thread performance is diminishing monthly. In many cases the Intels are slower at single threaded performance now. But the lead isn't that big. with Ryzen 2xxx's and older it was different.
Awesome, thank you. The 3600 looks like a great deal. Will look into that.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Jumping back into the pc building game again soon hopefully...

If I wanted a higher end gaming with a preference for power per dollar and an upgrade path over the next few years, what am I looking for these days?

Also, I guess monitors I probably should consider buying new since I haven't updated those in like... Whenever wide flatscreens became affordable in the 22" range?

If a price point is needed, let's aim for around 3k cdn including case and monitors.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia

If I wanted a higher end gaming with a preference for power per dollar and an upgrade path over the next few years, what am I looking for these days?

Also, I guess monitors I probably should consider buying new since I haven't updated those in like... Whenever wide flatscreens became affordable in the 22" range?

If a price point is needed, let's aim for around 3k cdn including case and monitors.

I'm putting together a new rig currently, here's where I'm at...right now I see no reason not to go with a Ryzen 3700 (or 3900 if you want all the cores) and an x570 board. Intel is still great for gaming performance too, but I'm going with AMD this round.
Get DDR4- 3600 ram to go with that, Ryzen seems to love all the frequency you can give it. CAS 16 seems to be tight enough without getting crazy expensive.

For gaming, monitors should be based on the resolution you want to game at. I'm looking at 27" 1440p monitors but haven't chosen them yet; just remember that if you are going to want to game at 4K, a big chunk of your budget will be just the monitors. GPU will have to be beefy as well but the mid-range from both companies are doing pretty well at most games in 4K. rtx2070 Super, and x5700XT. Both look like great options and today I noticed that prices have dropped substantially on both, about $100 at newegg compared to last week.

Not an expert compared to some guys in this thread, but since we're both building or ready to build I'd figured I'd share what I've come up with so far.

Last edited:

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

Since you are in or around Ottawa here is what I got from the Canada Computers on Laurier in July:

Intel i5 9600k for $339
16 GB of DDR4 for $94
RTX 2070 Super for $719
LGA 1151 Motherboard for $175

You'd need a monitor and a case, so add another $350ish probably. Oh a power supply as well, so another $100ish?

The 2070 Super might be a bit overkill unless you want to run games in 4k. I don't but I figured that by staying at 1080 resolution that GPU will be last me a good while!

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
Hey peeps.

I have 2 Gamer desktops that I'm looking at.

I'm new at gaming on PC. I'm looking for something durable that I'll also be able to do my company work as well. I'm not as much into X-box as I once was.

Which one would you purchase and why?

1) 1850$

Alienware Aurora R8 - Nvidia RTX 2070 - i7-8700- 16GB - 128GB SSD - 2TB HD -WIN 10 Home - Certified Refurbished

2) 1899$

CYBERPOWERPC Gamer Master (GM3767S) - Gaming Desktop PC - AMD Ryzen 7 3700X (8-Core 3.6 GHz), NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER (8 GB), 16 GB DDR4, 1 TB SSD, AMD B450, Windows 10 Home 64-bit

I'm not on anyone's level here for hardware, so be kind please lol.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
the Cyberpower one is significantly better for only 50 extra bucks

the CPU and RAM are comparable, but the Cyberpower has a faster GPU and a 1TB SSD

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I wish 4TB SSDs weren't so expensive :laugh:.

If this was $400, I might buy this 4TB to replace my 1TB SSD:

SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series 2.5" 4TB SATA III 3D NAND Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-76E4T0B/AM - Newegg.com

If I do that, I may go from 4TB for my storage drive to this (if it was a bit cheaper):

WD Gold 12TB Enterprise Class Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM Class SATA 6Gb/s 256MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD121KRYZ - Newegg.com

Also, side thing, I found out that, possibly, my keyboard is causing my machine to BSOD when Windows boots... what?

Last edited:
Reactions: Dominator13

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Question, my motherboard says it only supports 3200 MHz ram as an OC.

Gigabyte X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING - 1.0 - motherboard - ATX - Socket AM4 - AMD X470 Specs & Prices

But I just regularly overclocked my 2666 ram to 3200 through ryzen master and it seems perfectly stable. What does that O.C. mean if anyone knows. Is it referring to overclocking the mobo?

It means exactly what you just did, overclocked your RAM to 3200mhz. When it says OC* by the specs that's what the manufacturer has tested their board at. It's not a guarantee to work.
2666 to 3200 is pretty good if it's stable. Memory can seem stable then all t he sudden you'll get a bunch of crashes depending on what you're doing.

You can usually even go higher if your RAM can handle it. My board is a OC* 2400 but I can still select higher than that.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
So made a stab at a pc build...
System Builder

Feel like this is actually way above what I wanted to spend. But I figure if I'm gonna actually build from scratch I should do something that is gonna do 4k/ray tracing etc. So what am I still missing, and what can I maybe fix up a bit? (keeping in mind you need to stay on the canadian version of pcpartpicker).

And I'm not gonna futz around with overclocking, and zero interest really in all this addressable rgb led garbage.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
So made a stab at a pc build...
System Builder

Feel like this is actually way above what I wanted to spend. But I figure if I'm gonna actually build from scratch I should do something that is gonna do 4k/ray tracing etc. So what am I still missing, and what can I maybe fix up a bit? (keeping in mind you need to stay on the canadian version of pcpartpicker).

And I'm not gonna futz around with overclocking, and zero interest really in all this addressable rgb led garbage.

Unless you really wanna play Doom Eternal at 144fps @ 4k or something I think you're going way overkill on the videocard and monitor. If anything those are the easiest parts to upgrade later if you think you need more juice. Basically I wouldn't throw that much money at a card in particular without a specific game in mind I wanted to play RIGHT NOW at that performance level.

You could probably get by with a lot cheaper motherboard and not notice a difference. Particularly with no overclocking. Assuming it has the slots and such you want, perhaps:
ASUS Prime X570-Pro Ryzen 3 AM4 with PCIe Gen4, Dual M.2, HDMI, SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.2 Gen 2 ATX Motherboard - Newegg.ca

Your build has 1 1TB NVMe and a 2TB NVMe drive for some reason?

Might add a couple extra case fans.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Unless you really wanna play Doom Eternal at 144fps @ 4k or something I think you're going way overkill on the videocard and monitor. If anything those are the easiest parts to upgrade later if you think you need more juice. Basically I wouldn't throw that much money at a card in particular without a specific game in mind I wanted to play RIGHT NOW at that performance level.

You could probably get by with a lot cheaper motherboard and not notice a difference. Particularly with no overclocking. Assuming it has the slots and such you want, perhaps:
ASUS Prime X570-Pro Ryzen 3 AM4 with PCIe Gen4, Dual M.2, HDMI, SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.2 Gen 2 ATX Motherboard - Newegg.ca

Your build has 1 1TB NVMe and a 2TB NVMe drive for some reason?

Might add a couple extra case fans.

Know nothing about current state of ssd and basically want one for OS/productivity apps(office, ides, etc) , and one for games.

So which monitor /video card would be good enough for 4k for Destiny 2 now and say Cyberpunk when it releases?

Also debating whether or not to add an optical drive, kinda feel like they're not really necessary outside of purchasing a physical copy of windows10

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
So which monitor /video card would be good enough for 4k for Destiny 2 now and say

There's 4k and then there's 4k. Do you wanna run 4k at 60-75fps or a 144hz beast and it must be full blast settings wise? If you want 144hz then throw money at it like you planned.
Even with a 2080 ti you won't hit your full 144fps target in Destiny 2 at 4k. On the highest settings anyway. And if you won't hit it in destiny I'd be surprised if you did in Cyberpunk.

You basically can't keep up at that framerate/resolution no matter what you do. (this is kind of another reason why I probably wouldn't bother with 4k 144hz but I'm a pragmatist that way). IMO 2k is plenty good enough and you'll be a lot happier long term in terms of upgrade needs. But even then you'd probably still want a 2080 non-ti minimum it would just be a lot cheaper in terms of the monitor costs.

Cyberpunk when it releases?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Any card above a 1070 ti likely won't be useless when running Cyberpunk at 4k it's just a matter of how well it will do it. Which we won't know for a long time probably not even until after release really.[/QUOTE]

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
Been catching up on PC news lately and all I gotta say is, thank you AMD. Those bastards at Intel have been ripping off consumers for far too long. Definitely going with AMD when I upgrade and I'm really tempted to get the 3900x, but alas, I'm tight on money right now. Black Friday next year is my goal.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
Been catching up on PC news lately and all I gotta say is, thank you AMD. Those bastards at Intel have been ripping off consumers for far too long. Definitely going with AMD when I upgrade and I'm really tempted to get the 3900x, but alas, I'm tight on money right now. Black Friday next year is my goal.

Also great that decent AMD video cards are back in the mix. nV has been running unchecked for too long.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
whats it called when you can change the area your router lets you play in? Like you open up a bigger distance from you or close it to make it smaller

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
whats it called when you can change the area your router lets you play in? Like you open up a bigger distance from you or close it to make it smaller

Are you describing virtual local area networks (VLANs)? That's how you can define which devices are on which networks, regardless of the physical networks that they're connected to. For example, you might assign a range of IP addresses to trusted devices, placing them in one VLAN, and another range of IP addresses to guest devices, placing them in another VLAN, for security reasons.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Are you describing virtual local area networks (VLANs)? That's how you can define which devices are on which networks, regardless of the physical networks that they're connected to. For example, you might assign a range of IP addresses to trusted devices, placing them in one VLAN, and another range of IP addresses to guest devices, placing them in another VLAN, for security reasons.
what I mean is choosing a specific range of on area to connect with other people on a game. For example, when quick searching for a lobby, it will only connect you to someone in the specific range that you gave.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->