PC Building Guide and Discussion #13

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
So, after thinking it may just have been a Control issue looks like it may be something else.

I tried starting up Hellblade, about 9 minutes, crash. Tried again, 15 minutes, crash.

I just decided to check the ram compatibility with the new mobo. Asrocks site doesn't have my ram listed under compatible ram. Could that be what's causing all these crashes?

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I just decided to check the ram compatibility with the new mobo. Asrocks site doesn't have my ram listed under compatible ram. Could that be what's causing all these crashes?

If your ram is incompatible it usually just won't work at all.
Did hellblade crash to desktop or crash the whole system?

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
If your ram is incompatible it usually just won't work at all.
Did hellblade crash to desktop or crash the whole system?

Whole system.

Complete restart each time. This happened to me before with incompatible ram. Only in games and the games would stutter like crazy and i had to force restart myself.

I checked my cables, everything seems plugged in all the way. This is extremely frustrating.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
Whole system.

Complete restart each time. This happened to me before with incompatible ram. Only in games and the games would stutter like crazy and i had to force restart myself.

I checked my cables, everything seems plugged in all the way. This is extremely frustrating.

Have you tried running prime 95? I feel that's a good system stressor, more on the RAM and CPU. For GPU, something like furmark to stress test.

If that doesn't cause any crashes, all I can think of, would be a graphics driver re: games. I've noticed that I can get my system to crap itself when encoding Bluray rips with my 580 and Handbrake, while browsing Reddit, using the newer cards motif (I think because of all the autoloading videos).

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
Have you tried running prime 95? I feel that's a good system stressor, more on the RAM and CPU. For GPU, something like furmark to stress test.

If that doesn't cause any crashes, all I can think of, would be a graphics driver re: games. I've noticed that I can get my system to crap itself when encoding Bluray rips with my 580 and Handbrake, while browsing Reddit, using the newer cards motif (I think because of all the autoloading videos).

I'm going to run a bunch of tests. I did a Heaven Benchmark for an hour yesterday and nothing crashed.

The only error I see at the time of crash is a Windows Activation error. I don't have a legit copies of Windows for my new build. It can't be something that simple and dumb?

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Activation won't matter.

I don't know what your video card is, but pick an older version of the drivers and install them.

if it's shutting down and not throwing an error at shutdown time, and now we're seeing it in more than one game, hardware is more a possibility I'd consider now. But first I'd play around with drivers because it's free.

I did a Heaven Benchmark for an hour yesterday and nothing crashed.

As you've noted the crashing is not consistent so who knows. But Heaven is not terribly intensive really. Unigine Superposition is more taxing for example.

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
Activation won't matter.

I don't know what your video card is, but pick an older version of the drivers and install them.

if it's shutting down and not throwing an error at shutdown time, and now we're seeing it in more than one game, hardware is more a possibility I'd consider now. But first I'd play around with drivers because it's free

It's a MSI 2080. Who knows what's going on. I'm going to run tests and try to figure it out.

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
I hope it's not my psu. Not that I fully care about replacing it, I just don't want to go through the pain in the ass cable management again.

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
So after gaming for almost an hour I got another crash, this time it shut down completely and didn't restart. I had to power off the power supply manually then it finally kicked back on.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
So I'm probably going to have to replace the power supply?

I don't particularly like telling people over the internet with just posted information to buy X/Do X etc. But yeah that's probably what I'd do based on :

this time it shut down completely and didn't restart. I had to power off the power supply manually then it finally kicked back on.

If you can find one to borrow I would do so.(you'd obviously have to borrow it for a long time as the fault is intermittent)

You could see if there are any known issues along these lines with your current motherboard BIOS version.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
You use the smoosh it all in method?

I mean it's a LITTLE managed so it doesn't tip into a fan or something, but yeah I don't worry too much about it. The actual effects on airflow from a couple 3 or 4PSU cables, 1 SATA cable, and a couple USB headers isn't much, probably not even measurable in a case with an intake fan, which is most custom PCs. It's mostly for looks. I'd rather be able to unplug and move something quick anyway rather than have to re-route shit through the cable tray in the motherboard or zip tied somewhere.

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
I seen on slick deals from EVGAs website for power supply deals.

I got a Supernova 1000w G3. I think that will cover me.

Reactions: SeidoN

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
since disabling my overclock my games ahve been having some troubles. Apex for example stutters a fair bit and hovers around 80-90% usage. might have to reenable and try to fiddle with the voltage till its stable again

man I really need to get my Ryzen build done at some point lol

Reactions: Commander Clueless
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad