PC Building Guide and Discussion #12

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
LTT did a video on this. it took them quite alot of hardware changes to trigger a windows authenticity check

And yet mine freaked out on switching from a 2500k to a 3770k :laugh:
I've always wondered if there were other factors considered like age of the install.

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
And yet mine freaked out on switching from a 2500k to a 3770k :laugh:
I've always wondered if there were other factors considered like age of the install.

My initial install has been less than a year. I wonder if that has anything to do with that?

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I'm a few days away from upgrading my motherboard, CPU and RAM, myself, and didn't anticipate any problems. I completely forgot about Windows' hardware check. Great... now I have something to worry about :laugh:. Seriously, I've heard that you can call Microsoft and get it sorted out pretty easily, but you don't want to have to do that, of course.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I'm a few days away from upgrading my motherboard, CPU and RAM, myself, and didn't anticipate any problems. I completely forgot about Windows' hardware check. Great... now I have something to worry about :laugh:. Seriously, I've heard that you can call Microsoft and get it sorted out pretty easily, but you don't want to have to do that, of course.

In some ways it's easier and in some ways it's more strict. They do enforce 1 system OEM license requirements more often these days. So if you have an OEM key you may not get to activate.
But if you have a transferable retail license, you can basically do whatever the heck you want with the thing.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
In some ways it's easier and in some ways it's more strict. They do enforce 1 system OEM license requirements more often these days. So if you have an OEM key you may not get to activate.
But if you have a transferable retail license, you can basically do whatever the heck you want with the thing.

I think that my desktop uses a retail license that I bought back when Microsoft was almost giving away Windows 8 because no one wanted to upgrade to it. I just held onto it until Windows 10 came out.

Anyways, if I have an issue, I may be able to replace only two components, authenticate, then replace the next two. Perhaps that'll be tolerated by the check.

Update: I had no problems activating my retail license after installing the new motherboard, CPU and RAM yesterday.

Last edited:

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
Oh man... did any of you guys see the PC build video hosted on the Verge a couple of weeks ago before they took it down? I had a coworker tell me about it, so I checked out a couple of videos of guys covering it last night. It was pretty unreal :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Reactions: Puck

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I did see those videos earlier. Pretty funny.

As soon as the guy said that the included thermal paste "isn't enough", I knew we were in for a great ride. The PC building community on the internet takes thermal paste application extremely seriously.

My personal favourite was the explanation of the function of the anti-vibration standoffs for the PSU. :laugh:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Oh man... did any of you guys see the PC build video hosted on the Verge a couple of weeks ago before they took it down? I had a coworker tell me about it, so I checked out a couple of videos of guys covering it last night. It was pretty unreal :laugh::laugh::laugh:

It comes across as elitist while, at the same time, so handholdy. Who, exactly, is their audience? How many people out there are spending $2000 on a decked out gaming PC but have never built one before? If they wanted to be super handholdy, they should've built a budget PC for under $1000, and if they wanted to build a monster PC, they should've assumed that their audience doesn't need to know about the basics (like the function of a motherboard). I wonder if they took it down because they realized that it was so misguided or because getting mocked for it isn't good for their image.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
It comes across as elitist while, at the same time, so handholdy. Who, exactly, is their audience? How many people out there are spending $2000 on a decked out gaming PC but have never built one before? If they wanted to be super handholdy, they should've built a budget PC for under $1000, and if they wanted to build a monster PC, they should've assumed that their audience doesn't need to know about the basics (like the function of a motherboard). I wonder if they took it down because they realized that it was so misguided or because getting mocked for it isn't good for their image.
From what I've gathered, they initially disabled comments on the video, but left it up. Then they disabled like/dislike ratios while still leaving it up. Then they complained about harassment and racism, but took it down. I suspect that their sponsor might have gotten wind of how things were going, and insisted that it be pulled down. There's a twitch video of the guy complaining about haters while he's gaming - he pulls the "maybe this is elitist, but my system is better than what most of them likely have" routine and "well, the computer works so it's not that big a deal". So... I'd go with the elitist option.

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
For about a week after it was released I watch a shit ton of reaction videos. It was my guilty pleasure.

I have zero clue how to link a YouTube video from my app so you're all deprived.

Reactions: Kestrel

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
It only took a few days. Now Windows is asking for activation. Looks like I'll have to buy another key soon.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
So I never bothered doing anything with hooking up to the onboard inputs to get into BIOS, but I rebooted randomly today and noticed I had the splash. I can now successfully get into BIOS with no issue.

So weird.

Side note, since I can get in now: if I know absolutely nothing about OCing, is it generally safe to just use the built in "Auto OC" mode? just so I can check it out?

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
So I never bothered doing anything with hooking up to the onboard inputs to get into BIOS, but I rebooted randomly today and noticed I had the splash. I can now successfully get into BIOS with no issue.

So weird.

It sounds like your BIOS may've been set to "ultra fast" startup. On some motherboards, that can be so fast that it's not possible to enter the BIOS while booting up and the only ways to do it are to run a utility (from the motherboard manufacturer) to boot into it or clear the CMOS. It sounds like your CMOS got cleared accidentally (maybe the battery going bad, the motherboard becoming a little flaky or the motherboard thinking that something was wrong and reverting to safe settings), which is why you're now able to get into the BIOS the normal way and why you now see the splash. You can go back into the BIOS and disable the splash and also change the startup speed again. If your board is like mine, you may have a plain "fast" setting that is faster than the default, but just slow enough that you can still enter the BIOS at bootup.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
More positive signs on GPU prices. EVGA GTX 1070 Ti is down to $400 on Amazon, lowest its ever been, and oddly cheaper then on EVGA's own website.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
AMD RX680 coming in November, 15% faster than 580

honestly AMD get ur shit together

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
the 580 was already a stop gap. its getting silly now.
I really wish AMD would get back in the GPU game like they did the CPU game. If they had had anything, the last year or two would have been a great time to give Nvidia the thumbscrews.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
That Verge video reminded me of this I read on ars:
8700k reaching 100* C on idle... What cooler should I get? - Ars Technica OpenForum

I'm more impressed with Intel's engineering in this instance.

The problem I had with the Verge video, is that like the rest of the Verge, it's slick production, but short on actual knowledge or familiar with things outside of woo, thin!, woo, shiny!

Derisively called the iVerge for a reason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad