PC Building Guide and Discussion #12

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Pentium. I hooked the old board back up and everything ran fine

The BIOS should be okay. The G4600 was supposed from version "F1" which I assume is the first version since that goes for every other CPU on the support list.

Where did the CPU come from and is it any good?

Did you have the 8 pin CPU power connected to the motherboard?

GPU power cable connected? (probably a 6 pin)

Try changing RAM slots?

I would try the board again, pop the CMOS battery out first (silver coin looking thing) and see if it will start.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
@Post Karl Malone

I would try the board again, pop the CMOS battery out first (silver coin looking thing) and see if it will start.
Popping the battery can definitely fix BIOS problems at times - it's not my first go to by any means - but I had some issues with a computer I set up for my parents - it would boot into Windows, but it would crash a lot - the BIOS probably wasn't the reason for that, there was a severe wifi adaptor issue - but I couldn't flash the BIOS (the option didn't even exist upon posting) and going into the BIOS settings to try and do it there, it would just freeze. I popped the battery as a last ditch effort, and suddenly the BIOS just worked - I could boot into it and change options, the flash menu would appear when posting... I would do the other things Sniper mentioned too if you haven't already.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Got it going this morning. I must have just been tired last night. I'm almost positive I have everything plugged the same way I did last night, but I obviously don't since it actually worked.

Can't get my second monitor working now, but I'll take the W for now and save that for another day

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Got an 8566 on Firestrike 3D mark going to the g4600 over what I was using. About a 2100 point increase.

Think I may ride out the 4600 for awhile and look at a 1070/1080 over the i7 in the short term. Can pick up a 1080 probably in November and then sell my 1060 and put that to towards the i7.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Do you have the full score? I'd be curious what the Graphics Score is.

What was the AMD CPU you were using before?
I don't have it with me right now, but the graphics score was 12073? Or 12703? 12 something. I'll link it when I get home.

Was using an APU prior.

edbdqBe.png

Last edited:

Individual 1

Jan 25, 2012
My roommate has a broken pirated copy of windows installed in his laptop and would like me to try to install a working pirated copy :laugh:

It has 1 hard drive, split into 3 paritions and he doesn't want to lose stuff off of D:/E:, windows is currently installed on C:

Can I format the C: partition?

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
Has anyone made the switch from Intel to Ryzen?

What's the hdd and ssd config?

Anything special that needs to be done?

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
It has 1 hard drive, split into 3 paritions and he doesn't want to lose stuff off of D:/E:, windows is currently installed on C:

Can I format the C: partition?

Not from inside windows itself :P
But probably from the install media. Though you really shouldn't even have to format C: if you don't want to. Should be able to install right on top of it.

I'd still back everything up though cause I'm paranoid.

Anything special that needs to be done?

I have zero experience on Ryzen, but I don't think it requires anything unique. Though if you're moving an existing install of Windows for example, it might freak out on you if you don't run the sysprep tool due to completely different HW. But if it's just a clean install I don't think you'll need to do anything.

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
I have zero experience on Ryzen, but I don't think it requires anything unique. Though if you're moving an existing install of Windows for example, it might freak out on you if you don't run the sysprep tool due to completely different HW. But if it's just a clean install I don't think you'll need to do anything.

I have a current install of windows on my ssd along with other programs and my gog copy of witcher 3.

I have another standard hdd that pretty much just has games nothing else.

I really don't want to have to do a clean install of windows if I don't have to. I'm assuming for the hdd with just the games on them that that isn't an issue.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix

I mostly don't pay attention to the overall score (8566) as it's kinda useless.

My overclocked i5 2500k before I upgraded it had a physics score of about 7300.
My i7 3700k is about 11000.

Your graphics score seems a little low, though not terribly so. Seems like your 1060 runs at reference speeds (2000mhz thereabouts) where as most 1060's out in the market by now are non-ref models with slight to large overclocks.

Your CPU is good enough to not show the bottleneck on the graphics score most likely, 3dmark is kinda bad for identifying bottlnecks as the test are usually pretty specific.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I have a current install of windows on my ssd along with other programs and my gog copy of witcher 3.

I have another standard hdd that pretty much just has games nothing else.

I really don't want to have to do a clean install of windows if I don't have to. I'm assuming for the hdd with just the games on them that that isn't an issue.

So Windows 10 SHOULD recognize that your hardware has been changed once you plug the drive into a new system and try and install drivers right on bootup. This normally works without issue. It used to be a bigger problem on 7 and older.

If your license is an OEM though it will bark at you to reactivate/buy a new license as those are tied to the motherboard. If you aren't sure you'll want to find out before doing anything.

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
So Windows 10 SHOULD recognize that your hardware has been changed once you plug the drive into a new system and try and install drivers right on bootup. This normally works without issue. It used to be a bigger problem on 7 and older.

If your license is an OEM though it will bark at you to reactivate/buy a new license as those are tied to the motherboard. If you aren't sure you'll want to find out before doing anything.

It is OEM. That's not an issue as I can just buy a new key cheap somewhere.

I just didn't want to have to clone or erase anything on either of my drives.

I've read that you don't have to do anything and windows will do all the work and I've also read that you have to do a fresh install. That's why I was asking if anyone had hands on experience.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I just didn't want to have to clone or erase anything on either of my drives.

Even if you did have to install "clean", like I just said to Playerwinner you can simply just install Windows 10 on top of the old Windows install in most cases without erasing anything. You'd still have to reconfigure it and such though.

If you already have the hardware, sounds to me like it's at the point where it's either gonna work for you or not so you might as well try it :P

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
Even if you did have to install "clean", like I just said to Playerwinner you can simply just install Windows 10 on top of the old Windows install in most cases without erasing anything. You'd still have to reconfigure it and such though.

If you already have the hardware, sounds to me like it's at the point where it's either gonna work for you or not so you might as well try it :P

Well I have a 2 hour drive to microcenter on saturday to get the mobo and cpu for a really good price. Maybe upgrade to a fully modular psu as well.

I'll keep you updated. Although I may not do the build right away. Just got a Phanteks p350x so I want to get an AIO for it.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
Ok so I need help.. wasnt really planning on getting a new PC build anytime soon.. but as it turns out. A friend decided to buy the new Nvidia card and he gave me his Asus NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Turbo 8GB for free and that's a significant upgrade over my current GTX 950.

But I guess I need to get some other things to utilize it and I dont wanna spend the bank.

Currently I've got the following
i7 3930K Sandy Bridge
32GB DDR3 800MHz
Asus P9X700 motherboard

I got an SSD drive and a normal hard drive as well so I dont need that but I guess everything else is probably in need of an upgrade.

So what would be my most cost effective upgrade for everything else?

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
But I guess I need to get some other things to utilize it and I dont wanna spend the bank.

Currently I've got the following
i7 3930K Sandy Bridge
32GB DDR3 800MHz
Asus P9X700 motherboard

I got an SSD drive and a normal hard drive as well so I dont need that but I guess everything else is probably in need of an upgrade.

So what would be my most cost effective upgrade for everything else?

I don't think you need anything TBH.

You have a HEDT Sandy Bridge i7 that has 6 cores and 12 threads. According to benchmarks that's about on par with an i7 7700k (a 2017 CPU).

So while it is starting to show its age a bit, it's more than capable of going along with a GTX 1080.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Other than a somewhat slow RAM speed, that's still a boss rig.

Quite a number of system information programs (and even some BIOS) display DDR speeds as their single rate. I'm assuming it's 1600mhz.

And since it's a x79, it might even be running quad channel.

Overclocked that 3930k would match or beat some 8xxx CPUs too.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Quite a number of system information programs (and even some BIOS) display DDR speeds as their single rate. I'm assuming it's 1600mhz.

And since it's a x79, it might even be running quad channel.

Overclocked that 3930k would match or beat some 8xxx CPUs too.

Very good point.

@vippe Plug that bad boy 1080 in and enjoy!

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
Thanks for your input! Might try out my system with the cards prior to upgrading it seems.

I dont play much online but the games I do play - Starcraft II, PUBG and Quake Champions struggle att different things..

Starcraft II mods with lots of units is basically unplayable while it works as intended in normal games, PUBG I run at low settings and still drop in to low 30's or high 20's at times. Quake Champions It's on such low details it's a blur...

Would the GPU upgrade signigicantly improve this? And I've never overclocked a CPU - is it hard?

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I finally made my purchase today. Was going Ryzen 5 all the way until I decided not to.

Picked up the i5-8600k and a Z370 Pro 4.

Gonna wait til payday next week and grab another 8gb of ram to bring me to 16. Then the payday after I'll grab a new SSD and I should be done for awhile. Definitely want to replace my case relatively soon since mine is showing it's age, but that's a real minor gripe

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
I finally made my purchase today. Was going Ryzen 5 all the way until I decided not to.

Picked up the i5-8600k and a Z370 Pro 4.

Gonna wait til payday next week and grab another 8gb of ram to bring me to 16. Then the payday after I'll grab a new SSD and I should be done for awhile. Definitely want to replace my case relatively soon since mine is showing it's age, but that's a real minor gripe

And that's when people say "this is my endgame...for now" :laugh:.

Cases are bit of fickle thing, but it was nice being to hide cables behind the tray with my current one, there are only so many ways to design a box IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad