PC Building Guide and Discussion #12

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
Okay so I've run into a possible major issue. My computer was running absolutely fine the other day. Now, I go to turn it on and it won't turn on at all Or rather, it does for not even half of a second (light from video card comes on then off, fans slightly move from power supply and other areas and nothing more) and there's a burning smell coming from the inside now but I don't see any burning marks or anything that looks like it got burned even slightly. I took out a few things (one stick of ram, heatsink fan and my video card) and it's still not starting up. I read online in a few other places that it could very well be my power supply, but I have no idea how to diagnose what exactly is causing this, because I thought it would have been my motherboard as well. I can't turn my PC on literally at all, so no way to check anything other than by possible trial and error of checking parts as much as I can. Does anyone know of a possible solution or what could actually be going on?

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Okay so I've run into a possible major issue. My computer was running absolutely fine the other day. Now, I go to turn it on and it won't turn on at all

Were you doing anything to do it recently? Dusting it out, moving something? etc.

Or rather, it does for not even half of a second (light from video card comes on then off, fans slightly move from power supply and other areas and nothing more) and there's a burning smell coming from the inside now but I don't see any burning marks or anything that looks like it got burned even slightly.

So burning smell is usually power supply as is the short power on with fan movement.

Does the motherboard have lights and do they turn on?

Something could have scorched and you might not see it on the top of the board, but on the bottom of the motherboard. Something like a piece of metal shorting out on the bottom can do this.

I took out a few things (one stick of ram, heatsink fan and my video card) and it's still not starting up. I read online in a few other places that it could very well be my power supply, but I have no idea how to diagnose what exactly is causing this, because I thought it would have been my motherboard as well.

It could be the motherboard, though in my experience a bad board usually turns on and stays on but does nothing (no display, etc) or straight up won't turn on at all.

How handy are you with electronics and do you have a multimeter?

The most likely course is going to be buying a power supply and hoping it's your issue. Or if you can borrow one do that. But you can try the multimeter test on the PSU which can give some indication. I can walk you through it if you're willing to try it.

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
Were you doing anything to do it recently? Dusting it out, moving something? etc.

So burning smell is usually power supply as is the short power on with fan movement.

Does the motherboard have lights and do they turn on?

Something could have scorched and you might not see it on the top of the board, but on the bottom of the motherboard. Something like a piece of metal shorting out on the bottom can do this.

It could be the motherboard, though in my experience a bad board usually turns on and stays on but does nothing (no display, etc) or straight up won't turn on at all.

How handy are you with electronics and do you have a multimeter?

The most likely course is going to be buying a power supply and hoping it's your issue. Or if you can borrow one do that. But you can try the multimeter test on the PSU which can give some indication. I can walk you through it if you're willing to try it.
I haven't moved the tower in quite a while. I did a dusting out a bit over a month ago.
My board unfortunately doesn't have any lights that are with it.
I don't have a multi meter or anything like that unfortunately. I'm not even sure if there's a place around my area that will even sell one. Very small town I'm in for school. I know there's a repair shop so I may could give them a call and see if maybe they have any actual parts.
The only person I know that I could try out the PSU isn't in the States right now unfortunately, so I'd have to try a new one.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I don't have a multi meter or anything like that unfortunately. I'm not even sure if there's a place around my area that will even sell one. Very small town I'm in for school. I know there's a repair shop so I may could give them a call and see if maybe they have any actual parts.
The only person I know that I could try out the PSU isn't in the States right now unfortunately, so I'd have to try a new one.

I wouldn't go out and buy a multimeter just to test it anyway, only if you already had one. The test isn't 100% positive and that money could just go to the new one.

If you aren't sure what kind of PSU you might need, we can probably figure that out. (would need your specs, also what your current PSU is if possible)

Also what your budget might be?

Just keep in mind there's a very real possibility you end up replacing the board too afterward. But it's most likely the power supply.

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
I wouldn't go out and buy a multimeter just to test it anyway, only if you already had one. The test isn't 100% positive and that money could just go to the new one.

If you aren't sure what kind of PSU you might need, we can probably figure that out. (would need your specs, also what your current PSU is if possible)

Also what your budget might be?

Just keep in mind there's a very real possibility you end up replacing the board too afterward. But it's most likely the power supply.
My PSU right now is this: Probably don't need that much wattage to begin with I don't think since I only have 1 card (Radeon RX 480 4GB) and I'm not brave enough to try any overclocking stuff. I can't remember exactly what my processor is though. I THINK it's an AMD 8-Core though.
A buddy actually sent me a link from newegg of a 500watt PSU that is $39.99 right now.
EVGA 500B Bronze Power Supply - ATX12V/EPS12V - Internal - 85% Efficiency - 500 W - Newegg.com

I know my motherboard is about the oldest thing that I have though. It's a Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5 and probably needs replacing anyways

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Probably don't need that much wattage to begin with I don't think since I only have 1 card (Radeon RX 480 4GB) and I'm not brave enough to try any overclocking stuff. I can't remember exactly what my processor is though. I THINK it's an AMD 8-Core though.

Yeah you don't need a 750W (unless you're a paranoid like me and always want extra capacity ;) )

But even a 650W would still have a lot of headroom. And you could probably get by with a 550w or lower even but 550w is kinda my minimum safe for just about anything number without knowing the specifics of the CPU/Fans/etc

The EVGA 550W is a budget favorite for combination of price and quality:
EVGA 550 B3 - Newegg.com

If you really need a cheap one, this seems like a good option:
MasterWatt 550 Watt Semi-fanless Modular 80 PLUS Bronze Certified Power Supply by Cooler Master - Newegg.com

For something a little higher end, this Seasonic would fit the bill:
Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-650FX 650W 80+ Gold ATX12V & EPS12V Full Modular 120mm FDB Fan Compact 140mm Size Power Supply - Newegg.com

Also obviously this doesn't help with your current problem, but if your PSU is still within the warranty you could send it back via RMA and get another one. Whenever this happens to me I usually end up buying a new one, then saving the one I get back from RMA as I'm not waiting 3+ weeks to use my system :laugh:

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
Yeah if it's cheap and good I'm more down for that as there are already a few things I'm having to pay for now or pretty soon. That one 550 for $46 should do the trick I bet. And yeah I'm way too impatient to wait that long for a replacement!

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Ah you have an FX, let me double check my math first :dunce:

Yeah if it's cheap and good I'm more down for that as there are already a few things I'm having to pay for now or pretty soon. That one 550 for $46 should do the trick I bet. And yeah I'm way too impatient to wait that long for a replacement!

Okay so if you have a normal AMD FX 8350, a 550w will work for your current set up.

If you have one of the crazier FX 9xxx CPUs I'd want more than a 550w.

Actually looking around, this looks like a steal:
Antec EDG 650 650W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Power Supply - Newegg.com

$48 for a 650W gold? Seems pretty well reviewed.

Reactions: Oogie Boogie

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Battlefield V Benchmark Performance Analysis

BFV bench. Tracks pretty similar to what I was getting in the beta.

Like I figured, developers aren't pushing performance boundaries at 1080p much due to the market. The only card that gets hammered is a 3GB 1060 and even then I'd bet if you shut off a bit of AA you'd be fine.

Effectively a 2 and a half year old card is getting 75+ FPS in ultra. I sometimes find myself wishing my RX 480 performed just a little better, but not for the cost it would require.

The Metro series always pushed it, wonder how the new one will be.

Wow thats pretty crazy. Might go ahead and snag that right now. I appreciate all the help by the way

let us know if you get it working :P

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
I just impulse bought a evga ftw 2 1070 ti.

$380 after rebate with Monster Hunter World code.

Now I just need to sell my rx 580. Any takers? Lol

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
amD A8 9600 AMD Radeon R7 Graphics
8 GB DDR4

is this good enough to play Football manager 2019 ?

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Really hoping for a 1070TI close to $300-325 on BF and a nice 1TB SSD for $100-120 and I'll be done with this PC minus a case for awhile.

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
My 1070ti ftw2 is coming in the mail tomorrow.

If you planned on buying Monster Hunter World for full price then it equates to $320 with the $20 mail in rebate.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I thought about a 1080. With only a 5 to 9 percent delta on average in performance the price kills it.

Yeah, I bought mine before the 1070 Ti was a thing.

At normal prices, I wouldn't touch a 1080 right now. That said, Canada has this weird thing where the 1070 Ti and 1080 price brackets overlap....sometimes...

Factoring in normal exchange, a $320 1070 Ti should cost about $425 here, but instead we see prices ranging anywhere from $550-$700 somehow.

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
Yeah, I bought mine before the 1070 Ti was a thing.

At normal prices, I wouldn't touch a 1080 right now. That said, Canada has this weird thing where the 1070 Ti and 1080 price brackets overlap....sometimes...

Factoring in normal exchange, a $320 1070 Ti should cost about $425 here, but instead we see prices ranging anywhere from $550-$700 somehow.

I paid more out of pocket from newegg but the total value equals the 1070ti being at $320 after rebates and the value of the game.

I wanted a specific model so I jumped on it when I seen the deal. I almost bought it from Evga's site for $430 plus Monster Hunter without a rebate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad