Confirmed with Link: Pavel Datsyuk to Mitch Album: I'm going home next season

Datstromberg

Nov 12, 2007

PuckDynasty

May 3, 2014
we thought holland would get suter when lidstrom retired. instead holland offered him a contract that worked for the red wings and only the red wings. he would rather sit back and watch this team sink into mediocrity than pay a little bit more than they might be comfortable with to get real talent on the team.

Not only that, Suter and Parise made it quite clear they wanted to go to Minnesota for family reasons, and wouldn't have gone anywhere else no matter what the money. They kind of threw GM's a curve by only agreeing to sign together.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Why sign a multi-year deal if there's a chance he could leave before the final year? I would've been alright if they just signed a series of one year deals until he decided to leave.

Bad on Holland but I'm a little put off at the idea of Pavel leaving and putting the Wings in a bad spot...unless you can move that dead money for something semi-useful.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
we thought holland would get suter when lidstrom retired. instead holland offered him a contract that worked for the red wings and only the red wings. he would rather sit back and watch this team sink into mediocrity than pay a little bit more than they might be comfortable with to get real talent on the team.

This is such revisionist horse manure that I.....:help: The Wings were never really in the running for Suter, he wanted to play where his wife came from...Minnesota. And he wanted to play with his good buddy Parise......in Minnesota.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
datsyuk can retire by going on LTIR

very easy for him given his recent injuries and time off because of it to say its acting up again

cap would be cleared, money free'd up

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Datsyuk's deal is NOT subject to recapture. Baseline requirements are deals 7+ years in length.

Lgw

Feb 4, 2016

very easy for him given his recent injuries and time off because of it to say its acting up again

Hard to pass that off when he's playing in Russia though.

RedWingsfan55

Jan 5, 2015

If stamkos leaves why would he go to the wings? Of he leaves he is going to Toronto. For some reason that's the canadiens dream except Quebec.

Yes the NHL will accept him being in IR while playing in Russia....

Datsyuk's deal is NOT subject to recapture. Baseline requirements are deals 7+ years in length.
35+ contract

Last edited by a moderator:

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
For free? And saddling the team with a huge cap hit? Hell no he hasn't.

You sign the contract, you play.

Now, if he wants to spend his final year in the league playing for a real contender, great. Trade him for assets at least. If he walks out on the team for nothing I can't think of a more disrespectful action against this organization considering all that its given him.

How about taking less money and going to Anaheim

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
Haven't other players under NHL contract gone to the KHL before? And didn't their teams suspend them and basically put the contract in limbo, off the cap at least temporarily?

I know retirement and LTIR are non starters, but isn't there a suspension route available here?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Really interesting is that Datsyuk wanted out if Babcock had stayed...

I had been told that Datsyuk was prepared to leave this season, but stayed after the Red Wings made a coaching change.

Maybe this is a part of the we thought Blashill would be a little less like Babcock rumor as well in terms of that came out at the same time all of this Datsyuk stuff started to leak.

Not going to lie if we wind up eating his cap hit it will marginally change how I remember Pavel. Great player and amazing watching him all these years, but if they cannot work out a way for him to do this without crushing our cap I am going to be very angry with him.

8snake

Aug 3, 2005
There is no way I will begrudge Pav for leaving...just like I wouldn't had Nick been in a similar situation on a similar deal and decided to leave. In many ways he's been Lidstrom after Nick left...still the team's best forward even as he's gotten older, conducted himself with class his entire career and has given every ounce of himself for this organization. He's one of the greatest two-way players in the history of hockey and his career with the Wings should be celebrated just as Nick's was for all he's accomplished and the kind of player he's been. If he decides to leave after this season he's more than earned that right.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

Maybe this is a part of the we thought Blashill would be a little less like Babcock rumor as well in terms of that came out at the same time all of this Datsyuk stuff started to leak.

Not going to lie if we wind up eating his cap hit it will marginally change how I remember Pavel. Great player and amazing watching him all these years, but if they cannot work out a way for him to do this without crushing our cap I am going to be very angry with him.

Where'd you hear that piece of juice?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
There is no way I will begrudge Pav for leaving...just like I wouldn't had Nick been in a similar situation on a similar deal and decided to leave. In many ways he's been Lidstrom after Nick left...still the team's best forward even as he's gotten older, conducted himself with class his entire career and has given every ounce of himself for this organization. He's one of the greatest two-way players in the history of hockey and his career with the Wings should be celebrated just as Nick's was for all he's accomplished and the kind of player he's been. If he decides to leave after this season he's more than earned that right.

There is a reason Lidstrom was signing one year deals, they don't have a punitive action associated with them. Datsyuk didn't need to sign a three year deal. If he is bailing hopefully we can send his cap hit to a team attempting to reach the floor. But it would be a really tough spot to put the Wings in.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

A little more? Even disregarding the fact that Parise and Suter signed with Minny for family reasons... To land one, you would have to sign the other. It's not 8M more over 13 years. It's 106M more. Without firebombing the rest of the roster... Could Detroit have handled 15M extra on the cap? And be left with huge cap recapture on four deals?

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

Not sure that would be legal if he's playing hockey over in Russia though, Bottom line if he were to leave Detroit this summer in order for Datsyuk to play in the KHL both Datsyuk and Holland would've to terminate his contract as the KHL and NHL have an agreement in place to honor players contracts.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
It would suck, but I feel like you already thought of him a notch below most fans so that's not too surprising.

Fair. I really like Datsyuk a lot, probably more than some people think. It is true that he has not reached my level of adulation that I have for Yzerman, Lidstrom, Zetterberg or Fedorov. I think of him similarly that I do Vladdy and Shanny so not exactly hate.:laugh:

I would certainly miss watching him lace them up night in and night out.

I just think it would suck to leave us in the lurch with that kind of cap hit. If that is the decision I hope he informs them as soon as possible.

I just was disappointed with the Olympic decision, I was actually disappointed when Yzerman did it as well but it worked out for us removing some of the angst. I was disappointed with the decision to put off surgery meaning he would miss significant time this year. If The Hockey News is to be believed maybe he was putting that off because he was already considering doing this last year. This would add to that list of disappointment, where Pavel while being massively compensated by the team seems to have put his agenda over them.

While you can say that is his right and he has earned it in his wonderful HHOF career that we have all had the privilege of watching and I agree I can still be disappointed with the decision. Every man is their own man and Pavel is certainly among the most unique we have seen in this sport both on and off the ice. But that this is being discussed with the cap ramifications and in the middle of a desperate playoff push is disappointing is all I am saying.

He will still be one of the greatest to put on the winged wheel no question. I will be happy to see him come back to watch a game or two and maybe have a jersey retirement. He will have played for nobody but us in the NHL, but still this situation will stink and it will have minor impact in terms of how I view him.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

For maybe five months at best. People are foolish if they think that Detroit will be a destination for high-profile UFAs after Dats leaves.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
it usual when team got new arena they become something else , different than before , not in the good way. They say that real reason is his family issue, but what it is ? Hope Pavel has some kind interview

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad