Confirmed with Link: Pavel Datsyuk to Mitch Album: I'm going home next season

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I feel like Mickey momentarily misplaced when his contract ended. Because Daniels corrected him but it was a lets continue the point anyway kind of vibe at least for me.

Datsyuk is likely to leave at the end of this contract in my opinion. I am sure Holland will try to get him to do the one year thing like he did with Lidstrom. Just have big doubts that Datsyuk goes for it.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
He can still play a year or two in Russia after his contract is up- he definitely won't resign though. Pavs doesn't seem like the type to do something like that. He knows the chance he got when the Red Wings took a shot on him.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I know right, Mickeys not the kind of guy to say that a certain player might be leaving without having some factual point to base it on. But seeing that if Datsyuk did decide to call it a career after this year. His $7.5M caphit would sting quite a bit and that would be very mean of him to do this to a franchise that solidly supported him in his career.

If he retires.. wouldnt the cap hit dissappear?? 35+ or not Retirement is the ultimate contract eraser.

PuckDynasty

May 3, 2014
I can't envision any plausible scenario in which Datsyuk would be traded. It goes against everything the Wings have done the past two decades or so. The Wings are in a much better position than they were when Datsyuk decided to re-up for another 3 years. He seems to be a relatively smart guy. It isn't like he couldn't have imagined the possibility that the Wings might not be a Cup contender at the end of the deal.

With the way the NHL is today, I also don't see other teams parting with a first round pick for a retiring Datsyuk.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I dunno, he's not really a sky is falling type guy.

I was being lazy when I wrote that because I was kind of drunk, but what I mean is, Mickey is an emotional guy. And he's watching one of his two favorite teams, maybe favorite team, look worse than it ever has. He sounds exasperated and at a loss for explanation lately. Given that Datsyuk leaving was a heavy rumor before his most recent deal, I'm not surprised it sprung to Mickey's mind when looking at Datsyuk on the ice with these buffoons.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I can't see Datsyuk leaving with the Wings on the hook for his cap hit like that. He'll play out his final year then go home.

If Datsyuk sticks the Wings with that contract, I'm going to take it as a sign that the Wings organization and/or dressing room isn't the welcome wagon it has the reputation for being. That would be such a dick move that you'd have to think it went beyond business. Its not like he's struggling to play out there.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Datsyuk doesn't seem like the kind of guy to skip out when he only has one year left. What he does after next year is completely his call.

Ennui

I like our team?
Aug 13, 2008
Living in the past
www.fsb.ru
There were rumblings in a previous season of Datsyuk and Zetterberg being very frustrated with early playoff exits, hinting that they might bow out early if management wasn't more active in fielding a competitive team.

I don't think that either Zetterberg or Datsyuk are the quitting type, but they've found more success than Calvin Johnson did in his career, and they also likely racked up significantly more injuries; considering that Datsyuk is determined to play the last of his pro years in Russia, there could be a reason behind Mickey discussing it.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I was being lazy when I wrote that because I was kind of drunk, but what I mean is, Mickey is an emotional guy. And he's watching one of his two favorite teams, maybe favorite team, look worse than it ever has. He sounds exasperated and at a loss for explanation lately. Given that Datsyuk leaving was a heavy rumor before his most recent deal, I'm not surprised it sprung to Mickey's mind when looking at Datsyuk on the ice with these buffoons.

Oh sure, that's possible.

I didn't mean to make this thread into a sky is falling thing, just found it to be the biggest talking point from the game other than our defense is super disappointing again. :laugh:

Actually the reason it surprised me so much is because I was 100% sure Datsyuk would finish his contract, so to hear Mickey even bring it up I was taken aback.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
I was wondering what brought that up. That would be incredibly messed up of Datsyuk to leave early. I doubt it'd happen, but anything is possible. I'd be surprised for sure.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I don't think Pavel is old enough to walk away from his contract like that. Maybe if he was 40, but he's 37. One more year leaves a couple to go if he wants to finish his career in Russia.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
Not gonna happen. Datsyuk is still solid, he's not gonna leave some ~4M in liquid on the table, and he's not gonna screw the Wings organization like that. It's one year. Mickey is just worried because the "sky is falling."

He'd most likely make more in Russia for less work

Datsyukian Deke

The Captain is Home!!
Apr 5, 2012
Middle Tennessee
I still find it comical how the likes of the coaches & Kenny expect the two players in their late 30's to constantly carry the load for this team. Not lumping in Larkin into the fold, but every other young forwards are the same kind of player, with the same size, passiveness, lack of desire to step up, it's truly getting old.

I'd like to see them deal a few of these forwards we have too many of for some serious help on Defense, and bring up people like Frk, Mantha, & Tangradi who might bring some actual will to win on the team.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
This. I just can't see Dats leaving the before his contract is up.

Me either. That's why I'm like "Mickey, what are you talkin' about!?!" :laugh:

ZetterbergEra might be right he started a thought then just sorta rambled out the rest. I hope so!

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
The Wings aren't trading Pavel, and he isn't going to screw the only NHL team, he knows over like that. He isn't selfish like Kovalchuk. All this, is just Mickey having nothing to talk about during a blowout loss.

Side note kind of: If Ken Holland kept resigning Dan Cleary and not trading him ever, he is suddenly going to trade the guy who has been one of the heart and soul guys of the Franchise's history, who by the way, is still playing quite well. Had off season knee surgery, at age 37, and still putting up better PPG, than everyone else on the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad