Confirmed with Link: Pavel Datsyuk to Mitch Album: I'm going home next season

MVPete96

Nov 12, 2011
Michigan
The Wings aren't trading Pavel, and he isn't going to screw the only NHL team, he knows over like that. He isn't selfish like Kovalchuk. All this, is just Mickey having nothing to talk about during a blowout loss.

Side note kind of: If Ken Holland kept resigning Dan Cleary and not trading him ever, he is suddenly going to trade the guy who has been one of the heart and soul guys of the Franchise's history, who by the way, is still playing quite well. Had off season knee surgery, at age 37, and still putting up better PPG, than everyone else on the team.

Friedman backing mickeys story... when there's smoke there's fire :(

https://twitter.com/wingingitmotown/status/716428479181365248

Mad Brills*

via winging it in motown, the full comments:

"We've all understood that at some point, Pavel Datsyuk would go back to Russia and play. There is a legitimate chance according to sources that might happen after this season. If it does occur, it would be for family reasons. Datsyuk isn't commenting and neither is the club. It is expected that everyone will sit down during the offseason for a final decision. The key thing to remember is that if he does go, his cap hit of $7.5 million stays on the Wings roster since he signed after 35."

http://www.wingingitinmotown.com/20...t=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

PuckDynasty

May 3, 2014
Friedman backing mickeys story... when there's smoke there's fire :(

https://twitter.com/wingingitmotown/status/716428479181365248

Or he's just repeating a rumor. Redmond started talking about it with the misunderstanding that Pavel was in the last year of his contract. Ken Daniels clarified it for him but Mickey seemed to keep the conversation going to save face like it was still a possibility. Unless he's had some change with his ex wife over his daughter, I can't see what would make him not fulfill his contract.

MVPete96

Nov 12, 2011
Michigan
Or he's just repeating a rumor. Redmond started talking about it with the misunderstanding that Pavel was in the last year of his contract. Ken Daniels clarified it for him but Mickey seemed to keep the conversation going to save face like it was still a possibility. Unless he's had some change with his ex wife over his daughter, I can't see what would make him not fulfill his contract.

there's definitely a chance of this however Friedman is credible it's not like it's eklund reporting this. I don't think Friedman mentions this if there isn't a chance Of it happening

solo16

Nov 22, 2007
CT
I don't think there's any loophole on the contract. We'd be saddled with it regardless.

Sure there is you just suspend him for not reporting. Functionally similar to retiring but not legally identical.

I mean Pronger was LTIR its not really that different. I believe Richards was not counted against the cap when he was suspended.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
We're a lottery team without Datsyuk.

Imagine us without the production he's had this year. Imagine us without him as a center pivot in the top6.
Sure there is you just suspend him for not reporting. Functionally similar to retiring but not legally identical.

I mean Pronger was LTIR its not really that different. I believe Richards was not counted against the cap when he was suspended.

No way it's that easy.

If it were that easy why does anyone give a crap about Z's contract? Or Hossa's? Just suspend and move on.

MBauer

Feb 19, 2012
MI
yeah only difference is whether we have 7.5 mil in dead cap space or not....huge deal

Yeah because we have all those quality free agents lining up to sign with us, and with no Datsyuk we will be in rebuild mode for sure. His 7.5m on the books more than likely won't even make a difference, might stop us from signing some past their prime vets, but who cares.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
It would leave a somewhat sour taste in my mouth if datsyuk did leave before his contract is up, especially if it's solely based on family reasons

MBauer

Feb 19, 2012
MI
What? That is the only way I wouldn't have a sour taste in my life. Family's first.

Who does he think he is wanting to spend time with his daughter, selfish punk.

Ill be sad if he goes, but not mad, he doesn't owe us anything.

Last edited:

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
It would leave a somewhat sour taste in my mouth if datsyuk did leave before his contract is up, especially if it's solely based on family reasons

It will be disappointing but only by alittle. We're lucky he even played this year

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
if it was family first, he should have went year to year and not signed a multi year contract like lidstrom did in his last few years

Right? Like who wouldn't want to spend more time with their children and not have to worry about work? Yes, its a more "noble" reason than just retiring because you "don't have it in you anymore" or some crock like that, but Datsyuk knew his family situation was complicated beforehand (at least its been presented as such for a few years now). The organization has given him about as drama-free and competitive an environment as any professional athlete could desire, and he's going to screw the Wings over with $7.5M in dead space? No.

Only way I can buy into "family reasons" as wholly absolving him is if someone has a serious health issue. Then by all means...But if its less than that, honor the organization that ****ing allowed your family to live the lifestyle they currently have. Its not like he was some ISS sweetheart. Without this organization, he might not even be playing professional hockey.

taliababa

Jun 4, 2009
if it was family first, he should have went year to year and not signed a multi year contract like lidstrom did in his last few years

And if the family situation came about this year? He should be vilified because he values his family more than fulfilling his contract?

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
And if the family situation came about this year? He should be vilified because he values his family more than fulfilling his contract?

the family thing has been out there for years, well before he signed his last contract.

So unless some serious health issue within his family just came up, I don't like him bailing on the wings because of family reasons. not when it leaves 7.5 million of dead cap space with it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad