Confirmed with Link: Pavel Datsyuk to Mitch Album: I'm going home next season

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
He's earned the right to leave, frankly.

I'll be sad. I'll be disappointed. I won't hold it against him.

Even with him we aren't competing for a cup next season most likely.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
if it was family first, he should have went year to year and not signed a multi year contract like lidstrom did in his last few years

Right? Like who wouldn't want to spend more time with their children and not have to worry about work? Yes, its a more "noble" reason than just retiring because you "don't have it in you anymore" or some crock like that, but Datsyuk knew his family situation was complicated beforehand (at least its been presented as such for a few years now). The organization has given him about as drama-free and competitive an environment as any professional athlete could desire, and he's going to screw the Wings over with $7.5M in dead space? No.

Only way I can buy into "family reasons" as wholly absolving him is if someone has a serious health issue. Then by all means...But if its less than that, honor the organization that ****ing allowed your family to live the lifestyle they currently have. Its not like he was some ISS sweetheart. Without this organization, he might not even be playing professional hockey.

the family thing has been out there for years, well before he signed his last contract.

So unless some serious health issue within his family just came up, I don't like him bailing on the wings because of family reasons. not when it leaves 7.5 million of dead cap space with it

A new wrench could have been thrown in, frankly, we don't know all the details.

Last edited:

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills

I'll be sad. I'll be disappointed. I won't hold it against him.

Even with him we aren't competing for a cup next season most likely.

Datsyuk retiring would be the best thing possible for this franchise. We're not winning the cup this year, next year, or the year after. Datsyuk retiring would force Holland to make a decision, he wouldn't be able to use Datsyuk as a crutch to be fake competitive.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
Datsyuk retiring would be the best thing possible for this franchise. We're not winning the cup this year, next year, or the year after. Datsyuk retiring would force Holland to make a decision, he wouldn't be able to use Datsyuk as a crutch to be fake competitive.

we said that after lidstrom retired too :cry:

MVPete96

Nov 12, 2011
Michigan
Nothing, since losing Dats wouldn't clear any cap space for us anyway.

Unless we could still trade his contract to a team that needs to reach the cap floor.

the article says that we could trade his contract to a team that needs to reach cap floor+they don't have to pay him a dime. arizona is already doing this with pronger

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
the article says that we could trade his contract to a team that needs to reach cap floor+they don't have to pay him a dime. arizona is already doing this with pronger

Are there any teams that this is a possibility for? There can't be that many cap floor teams and as you said, Arizona is already using Pronger.

Edit: Guess they mention the Coyotes as still being a possibility.

How does recap penalty work then? I thought for 35+ contracts the team that signed them gets the penalty even when that player gets traded. Making the Hossas and Zetterbergs and Franzens of the NHL toxic contracts for the team that signed them. But we could trade Dats to the Yotes and they can terminate, we don't get the penalty, and they do? I don't get it.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
we said that after lidstrom retired too :cry:

Did we? I wasn't here

Regardless. Lidstrom retires. We still have datsyuk and zetterberg. And at the time good prospects everywhere. Now it's we have zetterberg who is declining fast and good forward prospects plus mrazek

If kronwall was 2-4 years younger. And he was good I doubt anything changes.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Are there any teams that this is a possibility for? There can't be that many cap floor teams and as you said, Arizona is already using Pronger.

If the Wings look to rebuild next season Datsyuk leaving could be a blessing in their tanking endeavors. Low cap and one of your best players gone? Hello high pick!

MVPete96

Nov 12, 2011
Michigan

How does recap penalty work then? I thought for 35+ contracts the team that signed them gets the penalty even when that player gets traded. Making the Hossas and Zetterbergs and Franzens of the NHL toxic contracts for the team that signed them. But we could trade Dats to the Yotes and they can terminate, we don't get the penalty, and they do? I don't get it.

I'm not 100% on all of that but I think that Datsyuks situation would be different than the hossa and Z ones because those were blatant cap circumventions. I believe the datsyuk situation would be similar to a pronger one where the team loses that cap space but doesn't have to pay him real dollars. other teams this could work for are teams with an "internal cap"

MVPete96

Nov 12, 2011
Michigan
If the Wings look to rebuild next season Datsyuk leaving could be a blessing in their tanking endeavors. Low cap and one of your best players gone? Hello high pick!

0% chance of them tanking year before they move to a brand new arena. kenny would obviously have to make some changes if datsyuk were to leave.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
There's more smoke to this than we originally suspected. A little more worried now.

Sparkzuk

Jan 13, 2016
I'm yet to see anything that suggests this is anything more than people spinning webs to line their pockets.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
There's more smoke to this than we originally suspected. A little more worried now.

It certainly does take on a whole new life when both the Agent and the GM don't completely dismiss the story.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
It certainly does take on a whole new life when both the Agent and the GM don't completely dismiss the story.

Yeah, his response of "I hear rumors all the time" is just kicking the can down the road. He ultimately said he'd have a discussion with Pavel about it during the off-season.

He didn't say yes, he didn't say no. He just said we'll see what happens. And that's a totally reasonable stance from Holland, because it's completely out of his hands. All he can do is wait and see what Pavel says to him after the season is over, which is how he framed it.

A more reassuring stance would be him saying Pavel will be back, but we're not at that point right now. My gut tells me without a loophole available Datsyuk plays out his deal, but we'll see. A pro hockey player thinking about retirement at age 38 isn't surprising.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009

For free? And saddling the team with a huge cap hit? Hell no he hasn't.

You sign the contract, you play.

Now, if he wants to spend his final year in the league playing for a real contender, great. Trade him for assets at least. If he walks out on the team for nothing I can't think of a more disrespectful action against this organization considering all that its given him.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I'm not 100% on all of that but I think that Datsyuks situation would be different than the hossa and Z ones because those were blatant cap circumventions. I believe the datsyuk situation would be similar to a pronger one where the team loses that cap space but doesn't have to pay him real dollars. other teams this could work for are teams with an "internal cap"

How do they define "blatant cap circumvention?"

Now, if he wants to spend his final year in the league playing for a real contender, great. Trade him for assets at least. If he walks out on the team for nothing I can't think of a more disrespectful action against this organization considering all that its given him.

If all these supposed ways to get around the cap hit are for real.

I guess if we still take the hit it stings. But like others have noted, with or without Datsyuk we're not winning next season or even making a real run for the cup. I see it like this. If he stayed, we'd have that hit and him as a player so we wouldn't be able to bring anyone on anyway. If he leaves, we have his hit but not him as a player. And we can't replace him because of the hit but whatever, we couldn't have if he stayed anyway. Not much of a difference to me.

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015

I'm with ya on this one. It'd be a massive dick move for him to go back to Russia before his contract is done failing extraordinary circumstances.

It's a tough situation either way ya cut it if indeed he wants out. If he actually does want to go home, and Holland somehow convinces him to finish out his contract, then the Wings have a half hearted Datsyuk playing for them. On the other hand, if he leaves, the team's stuck with his caphit. If this rumour is true, it doesn't work out good for the wings either way.

Maybe it'll help expedite the rebuilding process is the only silver lining i can see from it, but then again, this whole rebuild on the fly thing is so far along that it'd be difficult to pivot at this point from what the Wings' management envisioned without several more consecutive seasons of pain (that's assuming they have a plan, anyways).

Last edited:

RayMoonDoh

Outta Waiver Stuff
Nov 12, 2011
Shore Shack
It's simple.

1 Trade datsyuk at the draft for legit assets

2 he doesn't report to new team/goes back to Russia

3 Use assets/cap space to sign stamkos/trade for top 2 D

4 baby you got a stew goin

We need to go derper.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
I highly doubt he would pass a accurate physical. He can be LTIR'd if he desires to go home and raise his kids. This team is going nowhere for a long while. I would have liked to see him break 1k points. But with this team as it is now hahaha no way he scores 80 next year in anywhere but Russia.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad