Player Discussion Pavel Buchnevich: Part VI

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Can he sign in khl at the end of the year?
Conceivably, yes. He'll be an RFA and unless he signs his qualifying offer, the KHL looks at that as him not being under contract and they have no problem signing those guys. This is how Nick Jensen wound up in the KHL with us retaining his rights indefinitely.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
He's definitely a candidate for a bridge deal, unless they can get him for around 3.5M for a long term deal, which I don't think will happen.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
At 5v5, he's 6th on the Rangers in P1/60, and in Game Score/60 (more games played than all but Zibanejad and Kreider) since he entered the league. 11th in CF Rel (more games than all but Zibanejad and Kreider). 9th in xG Rel (more games than all but Zib, Zucc, and Kreider). He produces at an Upper Middle 6 level, no reason not to resign him if you can get him on a cheap contract.

I'm not normally a fan of bridge deals, but Buchnevich seems to be a perfect candidate for one.

cheech70

Oct 26, 2013
NNJ
He has the tools, size, speed, talent but he doesn't have the heart, smarts, and desire to become a complete upper tier player. Is it maturity? Is it personality type? These questions should be evaluated and then make your decision. To me he always seems to be standing around waiting for the puck versus thinking ahead deciding and reacting.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Wouldn't be surprised to see him traded for another young player with potential who is struggling at the deadline.

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
The whole situation is stupid to me. Rangers are devoid of offensive talent. Buch has offensive talent. Yes - he sometimes looks like he's dogging it out there, but Howden has been lacklustre for something like 30 games, Vesey has disappeared for long stretches, Staal... don't even get me started. These guys don't get the same "tough love". For an organisation that lacks talent, you think they'd give the guy a legitimate chance to succeed. I'm all for earning your minutes, but how is putting him with the actual worst player in the league and playing him sub-10 minutes a night helping anybody?

Does it help the team? No.
Does it help the player? No.
Does it help his trade value (assuming they go that route)? No.

Put a 4th line player on the 4th line and give this kid a chance to be a player. He was great with Zibanejad and Kreider. He isn't great with Cody McLeod. Go figure.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
The coach is not using Pavel Buchnevich properly that`s the main issue here. He still have much better stats per game compare to Fast or Namnestikov who sometimes see 1st line minutes this season. 32 games 15 pts. with limited ice time on a 4th line with energy players like McLoed.

Mike in Houston

Apr 20, 2015
Houston, TX
It's not about points. It's not about possession metrics or any other advanced analytics. That's clear.

It's about Pavel continuing to do what his coach doesn't want him to do. Pavel knows this. He said as much when he was scratched before. Him and Quinn talk. It's up to Pavel here.

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway

Yes I see that Larry Brooks going after the player instead than the coach with limited experience in NHL based on his first contract year as a coach. It`s more about a political point of view how he describe it in my opinion though after I read his article. To be fair I rather bench Pavel Buchnevich than using him on a 4th line to be honest - next time use him on the Chytil line and we will see production for sure and a decent ice time so he can get the chance to get his offensive skills going with talented players.

cheech70

Oct 26, 2013
NNJ
Well if I remember Quinn tried the encouraging type of coaching with Pavel. Imagine Jesper Fast in Pavels Body another Kucherov. Anyway I would do Poolparty for Buch.

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
It's not about points. It's not about possession metrics or any other advanced analytics. That's clear.

It's about Pavel continuing to do what his coach doesn't want him to do. Pavel knows this. He said as much when he was scratched before. Him and Quinn talk. It's up to Pavel here.

Yes I understand that the coach want to tell him a message, but as I said I rather bench him than using him on a 4th line.

I need to do some errands so back later this evening.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
i believe his days are numbered. if there was an offer, i think he's gone. change of scenery move incoming.

its on him at this point, he never really developed and this is his big year to really show his stuff but he hasn't and so i believe he will be moved or head back to russia.

shame, kids got talent but i question his heart and his ability to play up to the standards that quinn has set. hes being "yo-yo'd". he seems like a sensitive kid and I'm not sure the tough love thing is working. his attitude is probably less than desired but how can you blame him ?

21 continues to play and these guys read the numbers. production doesnt need to be research from some secret scroll. its right out there. 21 has been bad for a long time now and 89 knows this too.

meanwhile, pionk is a metrics nightmare, holden looks like he forgot how to play the game, ADA is quinns favorite whipping boy and lias andersson can't even get into quinns doghouse because he cant even stay up long enough to be accused of "not doing enough".

i blame buch for lack of production but i blame quinn for playing him with plugs and never really letting him settle into a comfortable spot. same with ADA.

buchnevich needs to play with talent. if hes on the 4th line, hell suffer. he isn't a banger and he isnt a physical player who will primarily check and create off turnovers. hes creative and has a good set of hands burt needs to play with other talent. he hasn't gotten that consistently enough.

playing him on the 4th line with sheltered minutes doesnt really play to his strength.

imagine how bad pionk would be if he were given the same treatment as buch and ADA.

but the teflon 44 continues to dance in the rain and never get wet.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
You want Buchnevich playing with Kreider and Zibanejad, etc. the solution is very simple. Do what the coach wants. Do it consistently.

what does the coach want from 21 or 44 or 42 or 22 or 77 ??

does he want production or does he want effort and trying real hard ?

i have to admit, quinn has me confused.

its as though results dont matter if your "intentions" are good. he used that word "intentions"

reading between the line i believe "intentions" is code for just doing things his way and always agreeing his way is the best way and not showing any displeasure with his decisions.

makes sense. both buchnevich and ADA probably dont play it that way enough and the rest is history.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
This is where bridge deals come into play.

They buy time for all of the player, coach, and GM to try to figure it out.

The alternative is to trade him, what kind of value is he really going to have?

Last edited:

Mike in Houston

Apr 20, 2015
Houston, TX
I can only answer that player expectations are different per player.

A rookie will have different expectations set for them by the coaching staff than a three year pro or 10 year vet.

In Howden's case his point production has certainly dried up. But you can tell it's not for a lack of effort, work ethic, compete level along the walls, etc. So long as he is doing that then Quinn will play him.

Reactions: Ori

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
I can only answer that player expectations are different per player.

A rookie will have different expectations set for them by the coaching staff than a three year pro or 10 year vet.

In Howden's case his point production has certainly dried up. But you can tell it's not for a lack of effort, work ethic, compete level along the walls, etc. So long as he is doing that then Quinn will play him.

Because all of that matters when you haven't scored a goal in 31 games. At some point, actual production does matter, even for a rookie. 0 goals in 31 games shows he is not ready for the NHL. But he has been given a significant leash.

The little things don't matter when you are shutout and can't get a goal on the board.

Reactions: Nickmo82

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
GMs should not worry much about the current coaching while trying to shape the future roster. A coaches tenure is about what, 3 to 5 years? And even during their tenure they change what they think they want or what they think they need several times.

In a way GMs would be better off limiting the options of coaching to give the players they want to play or develop the best chance to play and develop. Lead coaching to water and make them drink. If it still does not work then make the choice whether it's the coach or player who were unable to adjust.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad