Player Discussion Pavel Buchnevich: Part VI

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Buchnevich has been an excellent playmaker since he came into the NHL. Had flashes of it early on, but it's really coming out as his tenure goes on.

He's not some elite driving force on a line, sure. But he's absolutely someone who can stir the drink/compliment the offensive weapons on the rest of his line. His IQ is great.

Best North American player we drafted in the 3rd round in 2013
As someone mentioned, his shot is 'ok', possibly due to some hand issues, but he's a pass first guy anyway, always has been, with pretty good vision in the offensive zone.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I’m really big on Buch. I don’t want to move him. I think he’s trended up every year and has more growth ahead.
I like him as well and think that he fits....

BUT, signing him to a long term contract is a bit tricky. The future on the right top-6 included Kakko. The future on the left top-6 has to be Panarin & Lafreniere. Maybe Kreider eventually slides down to the third line, but that may not be for a few years. There have been some rumblings of trying him on the right, which while not easy, at least has a fighting chance as he is a lefty I believe.

Then there is the DeAngelo, Strome, Buchnevich triumvirate. Long term, only one can fit here. If you believe that DeAngelo and Strome are dealt within two years, ok. That is certainly very possible. But one has to believe that the moves will be to augment the starting line up. At least certainly the DeAngelo one will. As such, that brings us to the salary cap. How much can be afforded? We already know that Krieder, Trouba & Panarin are signed for contracts and will be here for a while. ZBad will require another big contract. If you trade him, whomever you bring back to play 1C will also be on a large contract. Whomever DeAngelo brings back will be on a contract that will probably be similarly sized as to what Buchnevich is making long term.

All of that is just a long winded way to say that he may possibly be a good player, who fits, but whose next contract is coming up at the wrong time.

But as with everything else, we shall see

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas

BUT, signing him to a long term contract is a bit tricky. The future on the right top-6 included Kakko. The future on the left top-6 has to be Panarin & Lafreniere. Maybe Kreider eventually slides down to the third line, but that may not be for a few years. There have been some rumblings of trying him on the right, which while not easy, at least has a fighting chance as he is a lefty I believe.

Then there is the DeAngelo, Strome, Buchnevich triumvirate. Long term, only one can fit here. If you believe that DeAngelo and Strome are dealt within two years, ok. That is certainly very possible. But one has to believe that the moves will be to augment the starting line up. At least certainly the DeAngelo one will. As such, that brings us to the salary cap. How much can be afforded? We already know that Krieder, Trouba & Panarin are signed for contracts and will be here for a while. ZBad will require another big contract. If you trade him, whomever you bring back to play 1C will also be on a large contract. Whomever DeAngelo brings back will be on a contract that will probably be similarly sized as to what Buchnevich is making long term.

All of that is just a long winded way to say that he may possibly be a good player, who fits, but whose next contract is coming up at the wrong time.

I agree with all of this. But DeAngelo and Strome combined are like 9.6M and Buch makes 3 something, so if only one of them is sticking around long term, that’s around 13M to play with. Hopefully there’s an internal solution to RD in Lundkvist/Schneider at the end of 2 years, so that’s cost controlled. Obviously what Buch’s ask is will matter quite a bit. I’m also of the opinion that - if we give Buch a 1-2 year deal - by the time he needs another one, I’m not positive I’d rather keep Kreider as an off-wing 30+ year old or 6.5M third liner. I don’t know how easy it would be to move him either, but 2-3 years from now I don’t know if you’re really better off holding onto 32 year old Kreider than 27 year old Buch.

Through 4 years Buch has paced for 48.8 points per 82 games while improving every year. Through 8 Kreider has paced for 49.5 points per 82. Kreider has other elements to his game, but it kind of goes to show how underrated Buch is. One is still improving while one is essentially at his peak. Kreider will be a great role model and mentor on this team for the first few years of this new deal, but as it moves into the second half I’m not sure I’d keep Kreider over a younger, likely cheaper, and equally productive player. Maybe I would. It will depend how Buch does this year and if he gets another bridge with the flat cap. It’ll be interesting to watch.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I agree with all of this. But DeAngelo and Strome combined are like 9.6M and Buch makes 3 something, so if only one of them is sticking around long term, that’s around 13M to play with. Hopefully there’s an internal solution to RD in Lundkvist/Schneider at the end of 2 years, so that’s cost controlled. Obviously what Buch’s ask is will matter quite a bit. I’m also of the opinion that - if we give Buch a 1-2 year deal - by the time he needs another one, I’m not positive I’d rather keep Kreider as an off-wing 30+ year old or 6.5M third liner. I don’t know how easy it would be to move him either, but 2-3 years from now I don’t know if you’re really better off holding onto 32 year old Kreider than 27 year old Buch.

Through 4 years Buch has paced for 48.8 points per 82 games while improving every year. Through 8 Kreider has paced for 49.5 points per 82. Kreider has other elements to his game, but it kind of goes to show how underrated Buch is. One is still improving while one is essentially at his peak. Kreider will be a great role model and mentor on this team for the first few years of this new deal, but as it moves into the second half I’m not sure I’d keep Kreider over a younger, likely cheaper, and equally productive player. Maybe I would. It will depend how Buch does this year and if he gets another bridge with the flat cap. It’ll be interesting to watch.
Buch is on the second year on a 2 year deal already that pays him over $3m, yes? If he has another year like last year, the last thing in the world he will want is another 1-2 year deal. And will be able to go UFA, I believe. Krieder will just be entering his third year and has a limited NTC, if you sign Buchnevich to a 2 year deal. I also believe that Kreider will be much more than a third line player in two years from now.

I am sure that Lundqvist or Schnieder will certainly be here at that time, but will one of them be Trouba's partner? Doubtful. Very doubtful.

It will be an interesting watch. But I will say that we will all reap benefits if Buchnevich continues to take steps forward (I have no reason to believe he will not), but if he repeats what he did last year over an entire season, I do believe that he may be the right player whose contract ask comes at the wrong time.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Buch is on the second year on a 2 year deal already that pays him over $3m, yes? If he has another year like last year, the last thing in the world he will want is another 1-2 year deal. And will be able to go UFA, I believe. Krieder will just be entering his third year and has a limited NTC, if you sign Buchnevich to a 2 year deal. I also believe that Kreider will be much more than a third line player in two years from now.

I am sure that Lundqvist or Schnieder will certainly be here at that time, but will one of them be Trouba's partner? Doubtful. Very doubtful.

It will be an interesting watch. But I will say that we will all reap benefits if Buchnevich continues to take steps forward (I have no reason to believe he will not), but if he repeats what he did last year over an entire season, I do believe that he may be the right player whose contract ask comes at the wrong time.

I’d normally not expect him to take a 1-2 year deal, but in the flat cap world, who knows. It will indeed be interesting.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I might be wrong but, Kreider has had MUCH BETTER linemates than BUCH has had and many a game on 3rd and 4th lines. All he has to do is continue to play with that chip on his shoulder, yet smile from time to time......and we will be gold. Pretty sure he would take 5x5 even if he had an outstanding season. That would add yet another player that will be playing with "the core" in at least a 5 year window.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

What I don't understand is why the Rangers wouldn't take advantage of the impact on Buch's stats from his no puck luck in December 2019 and shorten season to talk a long term extension with Buch. With Covid market on top of it the price should be pretty reasonable and would definitely add to his trade value (or at least won't subtract).

Reactions: UnSandvich

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
What I don't understand is why the Rangers wouldn't take advantage of the impact on Buch's stats from his no puck luck in December 2019 and shorten season to talk a long term extension with Buch. With Covid market on top of it the price should be pretty reasonable and would definitely add to his trade value (or at least won't subtract).
Who knows what their budgetary outlook looks like as to what they project for future

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
idk if it's just me but he looks just like ethan hawke in training day to me

c4e73ed0-ec0d-11e9-93fd-d887586769f6

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
I really hope KZB have a monster come back season, would be the perfect insulation for all the kids.

Also, the American in me says that his name is now "Butcher."

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

The New Russian Five

May 27, 2019
I really hope KZB have a monster come back season, would be the perfect insulation for all the kids.

Also, the American in me says that his name is now "Butcher."

Huh? Come back from what? Zibanejad and Buch had the best seasons of their career last season. Kreider was likely going to break his best season as well if it weren't for the injury.

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet

I agree. And if he remains like this, he's always going to have value not in his upside but because he's one of those guys that's guaranteed to produce 40-50 points. All things considered, well, can't say that YET in fairness... UNLESS he puts up huge points, they'll probably trade him.

Last edited:

Betelgeuse

Sep 21, 2018
Am big on Buch this season as it seems he's showed improvement each of the last few years (although I was hoping for a bigger break out last year).

Just wonder how this plays out if he's on a short leash and the wealth of forwards battling for ice time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad