Paul Ranger

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
Anyone else tired of the Ranger hate around these boards?

Has his play been sub-par? Maybe. But it's only been FOUR freaking games.... You're not even giving the guy a chance!!

Kessley Snipes*

Has his play been sub-par? Maybe. But it's only been FOUR freaking games.... You're not even giving the guy a chance!!

His flaws are amplified by the fact he cant keep up with the speed of the NHL. You can't fix speed.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
you guys make it sound like he's horrific and gets destroyed when he's on the ice.

he's made some mistakes, but also has made a few smart plays.

id give him at least a few more games, the skill is there, he's just a step behind.

he's not costing us games at all either i dont see where people are getting that from, he's been better than Holzer and end of season kostka imo.

catgoldfish

Nov 15, 2004
British Columbia
you guys make it sound like he's horrific and gets destroyed when he's on the ice.

he's made some mistakes, but also has made a few smart plays.

id give him at least a few more games, the skill is there, he's just a step behind.

he's not costing us games at all either i dont see where people are getting that from, he's been better than Holzer and end of season kostka imo.

A step behind? More like 4 or 5 steps behind. He did cost us a goal last night because he was too slow either getting to the bench or getting back into the play. It's fine for now because we really don't have anyone else to fill in but once Fraser gets back he needs to sit. Rielly looks better and better every game Can't send him back . We need someone to carry the puck out of our end.

leafstilldeath*

I have developed an opinion that Ranger in his mind runs the proper play, however, his body just does not respond to it quickly.

Ranger has gotta learn to adapt to the speed asap or else he is history.

I have liked his shot from the point though. Its pretty accurate. We could have sealed the deal against the Sens in regulation if his slapshot doesn't kiss the post.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada

Yep, it's kind of silly. Pent up fan energy from the offseason maybe. He's been away from the game for years, I'm going to give him more than a week to acclimatize.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I heard the argument that since Ranger was out of the NHL for 4 years he needs a few games before he can be back to the player he once was. I also realize that the NHL and AHL are two different leagues, but since he played for the Marlies last season shouldn't Ranger be a little farther ahead since he returned?

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012
Stick to forward reclamation projects. The D and Goaltending positions are too important especially since we have other options.

Garbs

Jul 2, 2005
London, Ontario
James Mirtle @mirtle
Carlyle: "We give Paul Ranger the benefit of the doubt coming back off of an absence from the NHL, like we do our younger players."

So relieved to hear this. We won't know what kind of player Ranger is until after Christmas, at best.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
So relieved to hear this. We won't know what kind of player Ranger is until after Christmas, at best.

:facepalm:

We will also not be anywhere near a playoff spot after Christmas if his performances don't improve.

As someone else already mentioned - you can't fix speed, or a MASSIVE lackthereof.

Im Old Gregggg

Jun 22, 2010
Kitchener, On
Im thinking we should have more patience with him until calling for his head, hopefully he adjusts his speed outside of that he hasn't looked too bad to me (playing with some nice grit and hes got a pretty nice shot). I think he'll acclimatize within the next few games

Garbs

Jul 2, 2005
London, Ontario
:facepalm:

We will also not be anywhere near a playoff spot after Christmas if his performances don't improve.

As someone else already mentioned - you can't fix speed, or a MASSIVE lackthereof.

No but you can counter it with good positioning, timing, and hockey IQ. All of which Ranger has shown he possesses at a high level.

Players make massive mistakes every night, great teams cover for them.

We would be the dumbest team in the league to not let Ranger play the majority of the season. If he doesn't sort it out by playoffs, he's benched. If he does, we hit the jackpot. He won't cost us anything, relax.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
No but you can counter it with good positioning, timing, and hockey IQ. All of which Ranger has shown he possesses at a high level.

Players make massive mistakes every night, great teams cover for them.

We would be the dumbest team in the league to not let Ranger play the majority of the season. If he doesn't sort it out by playoffs, he's benched. If he does, we hit the jackpot. He won't cost us anything, relax.

When?

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Before he left.

Years ago.

Flaming that this guy is merely a matter of time away from being back to the way he was, is just as crazy as those suggesting he should never play for this team again.

It's unreasonable to think that a guy who has missed that much hockey, will definitely get back to where he was.

I think you've terribly over-estimated what Paul ranger can provide.

Garbs

Jul 2, 2005
London, Ontario
Years ago.

Flaming that this guy is merely a matter of time away from being back to the way he was, is just as crazy as those suggesting he should never play for this team again.

It's unreasonable to think that a guy who has missed that much hockey, will definitely get back to where he was.

I think you've terribly over-estimated what Paul ranger can provide.

Lol, why are you pretending to know what Paul Ranger can and can't provide?

Nobody knows. Sit down.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Lol, why are you pretending to know what Paul Ranger can and can't provide?

Nobody knows. Sit down.

Because the brigade of people saying Paul Ranger just needs a few games, are ignoring the fact that he played in the AHL last season, and while the two leagues are VERY different and there are definitely adjustments that need to be made, much of Paul Ranger's issues go beyond trying to adjust to the NHL.

tans66

Sep 11, 2009
Toronto,Ontario
Over 20 min a night.
PP
PK
Him and The Captain only dmen with a plus rating.
Tough on the puck, good on one on one battles.
1 mil dollar contract
Not worried, he will only get better.

Garbs

Jul 2, 2005
London, Ontario
Because the brigade of people saying Paul Ranger just needs a few games, are ignoring the fact that he played in the AHL last season, and while the two leagues are VERY different and there are definitely adjustments that need to be made, much of Paul Ranger's issues go beyond trying to adjust to the NHL.

Who are you even kidding right now? You don't know that, you don't know jack **** when it comes to Paul Ranger and what kind of NHL player he can be. You're in the same boat as the rest of us.

So why don't you grab some lemonade, put your feet up, and quit stressing about it.

Felstead

Boss Status
Feb 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
To "Tak7" who quoted me, and I didnt have a chance to respond.

All your saying is theories and NOT facts, yes ranger was scouted by 20 other GM's as per Dreger on tsn1050 radio.

Please avoid questioning my loyalty as a fan, I love my leafs and I play things in facts not theories. You can't say im unloyal yet your throwing bogus and have zero faith in a guy who missed 4 years on NHL hockey.

I have zero panic, zero.. Pertaining to Paul Ranger, he will be just fine. He just needs more time.

The fact that you say people are the way they are with ranger because he sucks is a joke. The previous thread was about who people disliked. Shouldn't be a factor cause the sample size on Ranger is low at the moment and shouldn't be taken into account.

Egoclapper

Dec 21, 2010

He's been our worst defenceman by a large gap, you can't lie to yourself with a maybe. I'm still giving him the benefit of the doubt, but Brennan's put up 4 goals, 6 points in 2 Marlies games. 31st overall pick in '07.

I think you have to give Brennan his chance now.

Gunnarsson-Phaneuf
Rielly-Franson
Gardiner-Brennan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad