Paul Ranger

HeroNtF

Jul 9, 2012
His play has been absolute ****, and I think he needs the press box for a few games when someone healthy. Do believe this guy will turn a corner and get his step back though.

false bobo

Dec 6, 2011
I think excellent is a bit of an exaggeration. Or have our standards slipped that much? The guy is not even a #4 d-man at this point. He's useful as a #7.

He was a rock in the first half. Some fans have a tendency to fixate on the bad and ignore the good, which is probably why you only recall his poor second half.

He's on a 1 year 1 million contract and just played his 4th NHL game since 09-10. Why do you expect him to be a #4 dman out of the gate?

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
He was a rock in the first half. Some fans have a tendency to fixate on the bad and ignore the good, which is probably why you only recall his poor second half.

He's on a 1 year 1 million contract and just played his 4th NHL game since 09-10. Why do you expect him to be a #4 dman out of the gate?
I think Asif16 encapsulated it perfectly in the PGT thread. this isn't a hate Paul Ranger thing. I thought he'd be much better but he's playing too much due to Fraser going down.

false bobo

Dec 6, 2011
I think Asif16 encapsulated it perfectly in the PGT thread. this isn't a hate Paul Ranger thing. I thought he'd be much better but he's playing too much due to Fraser going down.

You're underestimating the jump in skill and speed across the board from the AHL to NHL level. Ranger is rusty, but his game will only improve with time. I'm sure our front office feels the same and isn't panicking the way some of you are.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre

Remember what Carlyle said to the media last year when he was continuously putting Gardiner in the press box.

"This isn't a developmental league"

If ranger hasn't looked decent 4 games, maybe some popcorn in the press box would be better suited.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
You're underestimating the jump in skill and speed across the board from the AHL to NHL level. Ranger is rusty, but his game will only improve with time. I'm sure our front office feels the same and isn't panicking the way some of you are.
Actually I'm not underestimating the jump. As was stated by Asif16 Ranger has played in the NHL before.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
He improved marginally today, and has throughout the season. Yes he made a few mistakes, but again, you occasionally see flashes of what he used to be.

false bobo

Dec 6, 2011
Remember what Carlyle said to the media last year when he was continuously putting Gardiner in the press box.

"This isn't a developmental league"

If ranger hasn't looked decent 4 games, maybe some popcorn in the press box would be better suited.

Of course it's a development league. Think about what you're saying.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
4 years ago. You expect him to return to past form within 4 games?
I somehow think that being slow as molasses on skates by NHL standards isn't something you improve upon massively some time between Game 10 and Game 15. Luke Schenn looks like Paul Coffey compared to Ranger speedwise.

false bobo

Dec 6, 2011
I somehow think that being slow as molasses on skates by NHL standards isn't something you improve upon massively some time between Game 10 and Game 15. Luke Schenn looks like Paul Coffey compared to Ranger speedwise.

Ranger's game never revolved around speed. He relies on sound positioning and quick decision making - skills that can and likely will improve as he continues to play.

It was Carlyle who said it, and he was pretty much implying that if your garbage your scratched.

Don't see it happening this early in an 82 game season. I'm sure Carlyle understands that Ranger will only improve as he plays more.

mt99808

Oct 21, 2010
He improved marginally today, and has throughout the season. Yes he made a few mistakes, but again, you occasionally see flashes of what he used to be.

Ummm.....what???

He was awful. Not bad or a few mistakes..... Awful. I wish I had the time to go through the first 3 games and cut up some of his plays and put them in a single video. You'd think he was the one who is the son in law of the team president.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
First - Matthew Lombardi.

Now - Paul Ranger.

The Toronto Maple Leafs are a professional hockey club looking to establish themselves in the league and be regular playoff contenders.

The Toronto Maple Leafs ARE NOT a Rehab Clinic for former NHL pros trying to re-establish themselves.

Last season, Randy Carlyle took an age to realize that Korbinian Holzer should not have been anywhere near the NHL, and it cost us a lot of points as a result. This time around, he needs to look at Ranger, and at the very least try and move things around because right now it's just not working.

Matt24

Apr 8, 2013
Having dealt with a personal issue that derailed my own life for a few years, I can identify and am rooting for Ranger as much as anybody, but he is a serious liability right now. Either cut down his minutes or give him a game in the press box and let him see the game for himself.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=433725

3. Speed adjustment

Paul Ranger is predictably requiring some time to shake off four years worth of rust. The 29-year-old defender left the Lightning in the fall of 2009, finally returning to the NHL this season with the Leafs. Of his re-adjustment to the league, Ranger said the greatest challenge was catching back up to the speed. "I think that's probably the biggest thing," he observed before Tuesday's game.

Spending last season in the AHL with the Marlies, Ranger explained that the challenge lied in the ability to read and anticipate plays at the high speeds of the game's top level. One such example of that recent adjustment saw him holding the puck on the offensive blue-line with intentions of firing it through to the net. "It's a split-second [decision] in real time," he said, "but to me it seems like I have a little bit more time to really get the puck through versus before when I'd get the puck I'd look up and there'd be a guy right in front of me already. So you just learn to move quicker."

In perhaps a fitting instance of his re-adjustment, Ranger was beaten to a puck in the neutral zone by Jamie McGinn early in the third period, McGinn storming wide and beyond Ranger before feeding Parenteau for the eventual game-winner.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Ummm.....what???

He was awful. Not bad or a few mistakes..... Awful. I wish I had the time to go through the first 3 games and cut up some of his plays and put them in a single video. You'd think he was the one who is the son in law of the team president.

Can't recall the last time i saw a Leaf that was so obviously NOT NHL ready.

Can he get back to old form?, hard to say.

SteveV*

Last night was his best game, whether that is saying anything remains to be seen.

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
Actually I'm not underestimating the jump. As was stated by Asif16 Ranger has played in the NHL before.

In fact, the only reason we're talking about him being "rusty" is because he used to play in the NHL.

Rielly is playing his first games in the NHL and he's looking better. He's making the jump from Junior, an even bigger difference than Ranger jumping up from a year of AHL. And Ranger has NHL experience on his side.

It's not an issue of being rusty.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
First - Matthew Lombardi.

Now - Paul Ranger.

The Toronto Maple Leafs are a professional hockey club looking to establish themselves in the league and be regular playoff contenders.

The Toronto Maple Leafs ARE NOT a Rehab Clinic for former NHL pros trying to re-establish themselves.

Last season, Randy Carlyle took an age to realize that Korbinian Holzer should not have been anywhere near the NHL, and it cost us a lot of points as a result. This time around, he needs to look at Ranger, and at the very least try and move things around because right now it's just not working.

No NO NO!

Taking chances on players is a solid way to find cheap gems like

Mac,Lups,Raymond,Fraser , even a arguement could be made for Dion, seeing what his cap hit was when traded for.

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012
Put Ranger on the bottom pairing or find a new home for him. Rather have Percy in the lineup.

bobbyflex

Feb 26, 2010
Toronto, ON
d-group is just brutal. Looks like it needs an overhaul or something. Gunnarsson looks like he's seriously labouring out there with multiple injuries. Ranger is an AHL player. Gardiner constantly making poor choices. Franson is too slow. Only players i've been happy with are Dion and Rielly tbh

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad