Paul Ranger

Toastman

Oct 12, 2011
Hey guys, Habs fan here.
I just looked at Ranger's stats with the Marlies this past season, and noticed he put up some nice numbers for a D-Man ( 8G 17 A +16)

However, I didn't watch any of the games, so could someone tell me how he looked?

The reason I'm asking is because I was a fan of his when he was with Tampa, and was dissapointed when he retired.

Thanks in advance !

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Really good. Likely to be a quality top-4 guy in the NHL this year. maybe more.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
Some bad plays but it seems to be him trying to do to much, possibly because it's preseason so you can take those chances. If he stops trying to do to much, and continues to play like he has for the most part in the preseason he should have an excellent season

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
he'll have to earn his spot in the top 4 in the regular season I think. Gunnar and Phaneuf will probably stick together in the top pairing, and if Gardiner and Franson keep up the level of play they had in the playoffs then I'm sure they'll stick together. Ranger would probably mesh well with Franson as a sort of shut down pairing, and he'd be a good mentor for Rielly if he plays with the big club. I would not be surprised at all if he got top 4 minutes in Power Play time right away, and I can easily see him earning top 4 minutes pretty quickly.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
If Ranger just keeps it simple he will be a rock on this defense. Potential #4 and wouldn't mind seeing him play with Phaneuf, he has more offense than Gunnar.

Gloob

Nov 14, 2009
If Ranger just keeps it simple he will be a rock on this defense. Potential #4 and wouldn't mind seeing him play with Phaneuf, he has more offense than Gunnar.

This. This is the pairing we need. Maturity and poise to go with Phaneuf's.... Phaneufness

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
This. This is the pairing we need. Maturity and poise to go with Phaneuf's.... Phaneufness

His play has been sporadic the last couple of games, getting caught up the ice gambling several times, cost them a goal last game. Randy won't put up with that.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Hey guys, Habs fan here.
I just looked at Ranger's stats with the Marlies this past season, and noticed he put up some nice numbers for a D-Man ( 8G 17 A +16)

However, I didn't watch any of the games, so could someone tell me how he looked?

The reason I'm asking is because I was a fan of his when he was with Tampa, and was dissapointed when he retired.

Thanks in advance !

He was on a horrible Tampa team, bottom of the league defensively, and against the Sens his last game he looked like he used the Delorean.

Otherwise he's been fine but this is preseason and most games aren't reflective of playing against a NHL roster.

At this point I'm not impressed, but many people are projecting he can become a top 4 defender.

He's been good and bad.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
im interested to see how well he does. will he be paired up with gardiner? he's definately top 4 material. guess after 3 years of absence from hockey for "personal reasons" he's gonna be a rock on defense in toronto im suure.

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012
With the Marlies last year he was hands down the best d-man on the team.
The only exception might have been the last few games before Gardiner's injury.

He was just way above the AHL level.
Between that and his high level of intelligence, he should be fine this year.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
I expect him to be the best defensive partner on the team next year. He's not someone that can wow you offensively but he does a good job moving the puck out quick, winning the board battles, etc. Solid defensive partner and an absolute bargain at his price. I don't think he's worst than guys like Klesla right now.

I would say a solid top 4 defensive partner with upside.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
I have to admit, Ranger's last exhibition game was a travesty and as a result I'm a little skeptical. I hope he doesn't get overwhelmed once the Bruins and the Flyers come a knocking.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I thought ranger was a little rusty, looked a tad slow at times, but you definitely could see potential. Loved how physical he was, especially in front if the net. Excited to watch him grow.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Mentally his game has been fantastic, though his foot speed is definitely a bit disappointing.

I am hoping that will come back to him with more time.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Ranger started horribly last night as we all saw but by midway through the 2nd I seriously did not notice him on the ice. Which is obviously good for a defenseman.

Patience

Sep 8, 2013
I barely noticed him all night. That's probably a good thing playing with Gardiner who is all over the place making showy plays giving us fans thrills and heart attacks.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
He was quite good blocking the puck with his body in close last night. He was able to pull that off twice quite quickly. Not a great game but I think he'll improve a little bit just because most of his mistakes were positional and he didn't have much of that last year with the Marlies (I had ahl live which SUCKS so I saw plenty of marlies hockey).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad