Paul Ranger

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I said it all off season. The fascination with Paul Ranger is unwarranted and just flat out weird. He wasn't very good last year with the Marlies and since he can't skate, why would you expect a smooth transition?

He'll be in the press box soon and frankly that's okay because he's paid appropriately.

I didn't watch him in the ahl, so I can't comment. But I know i read many sources that said nhl executives and scouts thought ranger was too good for the ahl, and I'm going to take their word for it, long before yours.

Having said that, again, ranger had made a few mistakes, but they haven't been because of his lack of skill or lack of smarts. They've been little thing you don't see commonly in the NHL from veterans but do see from rookies. He's fanning on pucks, on passes and when puckhandling, and is completely unsure of the speed of the game. On one hand he's not aware of Simmons coming at him, on another he's got the puck in the defensive zone and with tons of room to make a play, at least 5 feet from the nearest opposing player but instead panics, and gives it away.

The good thing is, that he has great natural reactions to plays, when he doesn't have the time to think, he's making great plays.

Do I think ranger is going to keep over skating pucks, or fanning on passes? Hell no. It's just nerves and timing.

At this point my only one concern has been his speed. But it's not bad enough to lose sleep over.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Ranger needs more than 2 games to get back into the swing of things at the nhl level.

Patty Lee

I hate the Habs
Nov 26, 2003
Visit site
I didn't watch him in the ahl, so I can't comment. But I know i read many sources that said nhl executives and scouts thought ranger was too good for the ahl, and I'm going to take their word for it, long before yours.

Having said that, again, ranger had made a few mistakes, but they haven't been because of his lack of skill or lack of smarts. They've been little thing you don't see commonly in the NHL from veterans but do see from rookies. He's fanning on pucks, on passes and when puckhandling, and is completely unsure of the speed of the game. On one hand he's not aware of Simmons coming at him, on another he's got the puck in the defensive zone and with tons of room to make a play, at least 5 feet from the nearest opposing player but instead panics, and gives it away.

The good thing is, that he has great natural reactions to plays, when he doesn't have the time to think, he's making great plays.

Do I think ranger is going to keep over skating pucks, or fanning on passes? Hell no. It's just nerves and timing.

At this point my only one concern has been his speed. But it's not bad enough to lose sleep over.
he probably didn't watch him in the A either.

but this way he thinks he can claim to be some kind of insider if Ranger fails.

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
I said it all off season. The fascination with Paul Ranger is unwarranted and just flat out weird. He wasn't very good last year with the Marlies and since he can't skate, why would you expect a smooth transition?

He'll be in the press box soon and frankly that's okay because he's paid appropriately.
IIRC, you said Wilson is a better coach than Carlyle, and this was during last season when we were on the cusp of a playoff berth.

I'm sorry but it's hard to take you seriously.

Anth93

Jul 2, 2012

Well I did. So believe what you'd like, but my observations seem to be accurate. He couldn't skate with the Marlies and he can't skate with the Leafs. Players succeed without being great skaters, but Paul Ranger isn't even adequate on his feet.
he probably didn't watch him in the A either.
but this way he thinks he can claim to be some kind of insider if Ranger fails.
Yeah no, I'm after my degree, not pride on a message board.
IIRC, you said Wilson is a better coach than Carlyle, and this was during last season when we were on the cusp of a playoff berth.

I'm sorry but it's hard to take you seriously.
Wilson played his best players and used them in roles that they were best suited for. The penalty killing was a genuine concern, but otherwise the guy did get the best out of his players (If you bring up Kadri, I'll bring up Gardiner). Ask Anaheim what they think of Randy Carlyle. It's no different from what we think of Wilson.

In regards to being taken seriously, that's alright. I'd rather not fit in with the majority here that swear anything and everything Maple Leaf can do no wrong.

Anth93

Jul 2, 2012
I gave the Kostka and Ranger comparison in a different perspective, like being forced to play in a role that they can't handle and being relied heavily to do things they simply can't do.
Kostka was infinitely better as a Marlie last year.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I have a hard time not trying to psychoanalyze ranger due to his history....and so far in his first two games he looks.....anxious. nervous. a little panicky.

not too surprising because the nhl game is about a million times faster than the ahl game, but he's going to have to get control of that and calm the **** down. It should happen, but given his history its no guarantee.

otherwise the skills are all still there - he's skating well, playing physical, and handling the puck just fine. Just making a lot of panic decisions.

Garbs

Jul 2, 2005
London, Ontario
He's a slower defender - he relies on positioning, timing, and anticipating the play. All things that are going to take months to get back (if he can).

Paul Ranger is a project, we knew that going in.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
He's a slower defender - he relies on positioning, timing, and anticipating the play. All things that are going to take months to get back (if he can).

Paul Ranger is a project, we knew that going in.

Yep. Good assessment, and I think he'll do well. A lot of Defenceman dont even come into their own until mid-life in their careers. Guy took a road less traveled, an outlier. Looked good to me last year with the Marlies. He'll get there.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
I have a hard time not trying to psychoanalyze ranger due to his history....and so far in his first two games he looks.....anxious. nervous. a little panicky.

not too surprising because the nhl game is about a million times faster than the ahl game, but he's going to have to get control of that and calm the **** down. It should happen, but given his history its no guarantee.

otherwise the skills are all still there - he's skating well, playing physical, and handling the puck just fine. Just making a lot of panic decisions.

Thats highly debateable.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
I definitely wouldn't call him bad.

Sometimes he'll make a great play, such as when he dove down to cover up a lane in the MTL game.

he's has solid positioning most of the time, but I think because he hasn't been in the NHL he's making a few brainfarts due to the speed of the game.

he'll be good in time, I'd give him a few weeks to get adjusted. Just keep him on the 3rd pairing for now.

mikebel111*

Well I did. So believe what you'd like, but my observations seem to be accurate. He couldn't skate with the Marlies and he can't skate with the Leafs. Players succeed without being great skaters, but Paul Ranger isn't even adequate on his feet.

Wilson played his best players and used them in roles that they were best suited for. The penalty killing was a genuine concern, but otherwise the guy did get the best out of his players (If you bring up Kadri, I'll bring up Gardiner). Ask Anaheim what they think of Randy Carlyle. It's no different from what we think of Wilson.

In regards to being taken seriously, that's alright. I'd rather not fit in with the majority here that swear anything and everything Maple Leaf can do no wrong.

yeah pretty much explains why Wilson couldn't motivate his team ever and they would fail at the end of the season.. Wilson is brutal. play and simple.

dballislife2

Jul 7, 2011
ive seen good stuff ive seen bad ive seen steadiness, maybe a bit too much bad for now but i think he'll improve...one thing is that he doesnt look like he doesnt belong

sniper81

Oct 30, 2009
toronto
The adjustment will take a few games, I've watched ranger in his ohl days and watched a lot of marlies last year, not sure how some people think he is a bad skater with bad "feet". Skating and endurance has always been one of his assets,

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007

Interesting you never heard complaints from Pronger and Neids about Caryle, or Selanne or Beauchemin. The players who have established character, and respect around the NHL and earned a Stanley Cup with Caryle. Selanne, and Beauchemin might even praise Caryle considering Selanne reestablished his career playing for Caryle, and Beauchemin's career began under the supervision of Caryle.

So lets summarize:

Ryan - Didn't like Caryle. Caryle fired, Ryan traded a season later (Coach or Player?) Ryan's work ethic been in question since draft.
Lupul - Didn't like Caryle. Lupul admits recently that he partied too much when he was young, namely with Richards\Carter. Didn't take his career seriously, nor did he take his conditioning.
Pronger - seemingly liked Anaheim, Goes to Philly, rumored to have say in Lupul's former roommates Richards\Carter being moved for being unprofessional and acting immaturely.
Getzlaf - wasn't appreciative of how hard the practises were... Getzlaf work ethic has always been questioned since draft year.
Kessel - made a comment about not liking stretching in Practices, Kessel's work ethic, conditioning always in question since before draft.

Seems like Caryle has had an eye for Character, and Character players seemingly have enjoyed playing for him.

Wilson played his best players and used them in roles that they were best suited for

You do realize that hockey is about more than individual point totals........right?

Caryle's team was 5th in the East in Points, 2nd in the league in PK, 5th in the East for GF, 8th in GA in the East.

Seems to me he is the one whose putting the right players in the right situations, while Wilson just put out whomever he thought would play a wide open offensive hockey game.

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON

LOL! LMAO! :biglaugh: Do you seriously think you're some original hipster who goes against management? In case you haven't noticed, about 99% of the forum is like that. In fact, there are people here who have been doing it longer and more intensely than you have (i.e. Disgruntled Observer).

This is also hilarious. Ron Wilson was an awful communicator and put many of his players in horrible situations. He would also bench players without telling them why and do it over and over again. He horribly misused Luke Schenn and Komisarek, barely let Cody Franson play, and his handling of Nazem Kadri was the absolute worst. Oh and there was Francois Beauchemin too, one of the best #2/#3 d-men in the entire league, and yet his play was average under Wilson. When he went back to Anaheim, he struggled the first month, even Carlyle (who was with Anaheim at the time) asked "Frankie, what's wrong with you?". Later Beauchemin returned to his previous play and has been great for Anaheim ever since. Wilson's system was crap and exposed all of our defensemen.

FFS, Phil Kessel himself said "me and Ron don't talk", what kind of coach doesn't talk to his star player? It's not a coincidence that a good chunk of the team was so vocal and publicly came out and said that Carlyle was a great communicator and that Wilson didn't communicate with them after he was brought in.

And you say you're going to bring up Gardiner, go ahead. If you do your research, you'll see that Gardiner has played his best hockey under Carlyle, not Wilson. In his rookie year where he scored 30 pts, half of his pts came under the short time that Carlyle was there. Carlyle also had him out for 22+ minutes a game.

As for the Anaheim comment, nope. The fans had soured on him in his last season there, but overall they were happy with his tenure as coach. In 6.5 seasons there, he took them to the playoffs 5 of those seasons, and won a Stanley Cup. Since 2006, only Mike Babcock has more playoff wins. Carlyle also consistently got a strong effort from his team, and they overachieved in 2009 (upset San Jose in the first round) as well as 2011 (made the playoffs without Pronger or Niedermayer and no Beauchemin for 3/4 of the season, would've gone farther in the playoffs if Hiller wasn't injured). Some Anaheim fans miss him actually, especially because their team has gotten really soft and offensively-focused under Bruce Boudreau.

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
Meh, he hasn't been good, but it's early and I'm sure he's nervous as all hell. I would certainly not put him in the Holzer/Kostka territory. That said, he should not be in the top 4 at all right now. I'd have him and Gardiner with the least TOI, Fraser and Franson have both individually looked great so far. I've been very impressed by Fraser's play.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
It's all there...skating, passing, shot, knocking guys down. This guy is a good hockey player with pretty low mileage on his body at 29.

It will come. we're at game 2 of the season and he hasn't played a real NHL game in forever.

bonjovi0308

Jan 26, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Man, we are on a winning streak and some people are being critical on our certain players?? No player, even Crosby, can be mistake free in every single game, let alone our relatively lower paid players. Please don't act like a moron and drive our players out of Toronto.

Patience is what all the Toronto sports franchise need.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad