Coach Discussion: Paul Maurice: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Status
Not open for further replies.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
If CSW don't turn things around in the next two games and that line is still kept together by Maurice then I'm afraid I'll have no choice but to go all @sipowicz on the top line and Maurice's decision.

Won't help. Only @sipowicz has...

upload_2018-10-22_11-16-12.png

;)

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Congrats for the new record Maurice! Only 9 to go to really make unbelievable NHL history! Sitting on probably the best roster this season.

Reactions: thegr8one66

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
I'm always a bit surprised TNSE hasn't raised those Winnipeg Victorias Stanley Cup Champions 1896, 1901 and 1902 banners they had at the old Arena. Only 116 years since the last one!

I'm not embarrassed one bit thinking back on the amount of chirping I've done about those glorious Stanley Cup years :)

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
The Jets top players show up and the match ups are irrelevant. It wasn't even close to being a difference in the game but it's an easy talking point.
I agree with the first part, 100%. Coaches job of shouldn't be micromanaging matchups.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I would like to see him try Morrow back with Buff. The pairing was good last year, Chariot just isn't top 4 material. Either that or call up Niku. I will give Kulikov another handful of games to get back into the swing if things given his off-season surgery before I get too critical.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Pretty disappointing start by the team and players.

Handful of players have played well game in & game out. 3rd line and top pairing

Most players look inconsistent at best. Mark S, Wheeler, Buff

Couple look completely disinterested, specifically Laine.

PMO is a players coach.....might need to start thinking about some tough love and not just on the 4th line or bottom pairing.

Coaches job to prepare team & get the most out of them, coaches are not free of blame.

10 games only.....but the team looks overall, vaguely lazy, uninspired, lacking focus & direction.....with a tad bit of self entitlement.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I agree with the first part, 100%. Coaches job of shouldn't be micromanaging matchups.
There's such parity in the NHL that any advantage you can find, you should take. The top line was getting eaten alive by Matthews' line and it looked like Maurice was chasing that matchup even though it wasn't working out. And Maurice needs to shelter his D as much as possible except for the top pair.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018

Handful of players have played well game in & game out. 3rd line and top pairing

PMO is a players coach.....might need to start thinking about some tough love and not just on the 4th line or bottom pairing.

Coaches job to prepare team & get the most out of them, coaches are not free of blame.

10 games only.....but the team looks overall, vaguely lazy, uninspired, lacking focus & direction.....with a tad bit of self entitlement.

This wouldn't be happening if Old Man Hendricks was still in the room. :nod:

upload_2018-10-25_10-43-13.png

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Title of the thread should be Paul Maurice: The Good, the Maurice and the Ugly. But maybe I'm being too hard on him. We all know from Maurice that it takes years to learn how to play a system properly, never mind that Vegas managed it in the space of one training camp last year, and the Canes seem to have picked up their new coach's system pretty quickly this year. But for Maurice it takes years. And we're not even at a decade yet, so lots of space for giving him slack.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
There's such parity in the NHL that any advantage you can find, you should take. The top line was getting eaten alive by Matthews' line and it looked like Maurice was chasing that matchup even though it wasn't working out. And Maurice needs to shelter his D as much as possible except for the top pair.

I thought Scheif’s line was taking Kadri’s line? Or was Matthews on the wing?

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I thought Scheif’s line was taking Kadri’s line? Or was Matthews on the wing?
Well Maurice plays the hell out of that first line so they get minutes against just about every opposition line. Last night, the most opposition forward 5v5 TOI for Scheifele were:

Lindholm 8:15
Matthews 7:57
Kapanen 7:37
Marleau 7:16
Brown 6:58
Kadri 6:15
Hyman 5:09
Tavares 4:51
Marner 4:25

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Way to get Morrissey on the 1st PP unit for a whole 1.5 games Mo. Really disappointed with his knee jerk reaction to switch back to Buff, makes no sense.

Not at all impressed by it, prett6 cowardly move on his part. Buff looked awful on it last night.

Reactions: Ducky10

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria

And 5th in the league standings ...

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
I'd like to see Paul Maurice start up a weekly coaches show on TSN1290, just like Mike O'Shea does for the Bombers on CJOB. It'd sure be nice to be able to ask Maurice questions.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Perreault needs to be back in the top-6. He's a luxury on the 4th line when everyone is going but when the top lines are not playing well and the 4th line only playing 6minutes a night, then its time to move Perreault up in the lineup to get those other guys going.

Reactions: Jack722

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Maurice needs to reassess who his play drivers are and ultimately who his meal ticket is with regards to sustained employment. He seemingly still bends over backwards for his big three players in Wheeler, Buff and Scheifele and only one of them warrants such treatment.

Scheifele while not at his best so far this year is still producing points and managing to be the only player on his line keeping his head above water from a shot metric perspective. He managed to do it last year as well despite spending most of his time attached by the hip to our two worst shot metric wingers. He can clean up his play in his own end but otherwise is doing ok and still worthy of being held I high regard.

There is no player who is undervalued more in this org by fans and coaching alike then Ehlers. I may get heat for this but he is our best winger and it's not all that close. He is the only one that combines elite 5 on 5 scoring with elite possession metrics. While he has gotten off to a slow start in the scoring department he is still positively impacting the teams shot metrics. He should be values far more by this teams coaching staff and is a real key piece going forward. Instead of continuing to see his minutes reduced he should be seeing them go up. He also should be used on the PK to terrorize other teams.

Conner has the scoring but is still awful at driving possession. He was at the bottom of the team last year and is once again there this year. He is an important cog but still has work to do to be more then a complimentary guy and be able to drive his line.

Laine has gotten off to an awful start but the last few years he was scoring well enoigh at ES while keeping his head above water from a possession stand point. I have not been happy with his play but I would rather be giving the young player with upside the first line winger role and letting him work throigh the growing pains then the aging player who isn't bringing anything to the role.

Wheeler neither has the scoring or the play driving any longer. His scoring rates have been lagging behind the other kids on this team now for the last 2 plus years. He is also now a possession black hole at 5 on 5. He is being grossly overvalued by Maurice and is playing minutes in 5 on 5 situations that his play hasn't warranted for a couple of years now. Keep him on the 1st unit pp and reduce his ES minutes. I don't care if he's the captain he has been surpassed by you get players.

Buff is still a good player but he has been clearly surpassed by both Morrissey and Trouba. Both outscore him at ES and bring more to the table now. Yet he still is playing more minutes and in more key offensive situations despite Morrissey showing he has the acunum to contribute on the number one PP. Once again the less impacful vet is getting more preferential treatment.

Ask yourself this, who is more important to the team today and moving forward? The answer is clearly the under 25 crowd who are in most cases already better then the vets that Maurice rides hard.

If I was Maurice I would smarten up and start catering to them as their happiness will keep him employed more so then a couple of fading vets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad