Coach Discussion: Paul Maurice: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
If the Jets get off to a slow start, and are out of a playoff spot by the end of November, I fully expect Paul Maurice to get the pink slip. I hope the Jets perform well, but I cannot see PaMo lasting the year if they are out of playoff contention. We finally have a team that is capable of contending, and I cannot see Jets management being satisfied with anything short of a playoff birth.

Last edited:

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Very Short Leash For Maurice !!!

If by mid- January the Jets aren't comfortably heading into a playoff spot, Maurice will be gone. There's to much talent here, and now that the goaltending has been very well upgraded-"no more excuses."

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
If by mid- January the Jets aren't comfortably heading into a playoff spot, Maurice will be gone. There's to much talent here, and now that the goaltending has been very well upgraded-"no more excuses."

That may be too late. We waited that long in 2013-14 to can Noel. I can see the Jets replacing Maurice well before Christmas if things go south.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
If we are above 500
20-25 games in and looking good doing that he survives.
So not past end of November if we are the same as years past.
He won't have the luxury of a slow start

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
They need to be comfortably in a playoff spot by American Thanksgiving for thoughts of an extension to even happen.

If the Jets are barely in a spot he stays but the situation is being monitored.

If the Jets are out of the playoffs you bring someone new in.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
just listened to the Woodley interview on tsn about helle. he was clearly not ready to play in nhl last year and neither was hutch. how are you supposed to compete with such a young team with all those injuries and 2 ahl calibre goaltenders. I don't know how anybody can fire Maurice when they know its their fault they missed the playoffs. it could have come off the rails last year half a dozen times and gotten in Vancouver Arizona territory but he kept them all playing hard to the end. if they just stay somewhat healthy they should make the playoffs.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If we are above 500
20-25 games in and looking good doing that he survives.
So not past end of November if we are the same as years past.
He won't have the luxury of a slow start

500 is too low a bar, it misses the playoffs .... unless you mean 'real' 500.

I think actually in a playoff spot after 1/4 of the season is the minimum.

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016
just listened to the Woodley interview on tsn about helle. he was clearly not ready to play in nhl last year and neither was hutch. how are you supposed to compete with such a young team with all those injuries and 2 ahl calibre goaltenders. I don't know how anybody can fire Maurice when they know its their fault they missed the playoffs. it could have come off the rails last year half a dozen times and gotten in Vancouver Arizona territory but he kept them all playing hard to the end. if they just stay somewhat healthy they should make the playoffs.

Some truth to the above. However, PoMo certainly did himself no favours by not improving the PP, PK, team discipline, utilizing questionable systems and many consistently poor and baffling personnel decisions. In retrospect, he was not a good coach overall last year-at all.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I still see Maurice extended at or near TC.

Then he's here for a bit longer. In spite of some questionable moves by PoMo at times, this team will still have success.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
500 is too low a bar, it misses the playoffs .... unless you mean 'real' 500.

I think actually in a playoff spot after 1/4 of the season is the minimum.

Real 500
Loser points are from you know losing
Maurice needs to have a career year
I agree with Blue Shakehead
now would be good but that ain't happening

ijuka

May 14, 2016

Why waste half the season? I hope you mean mid-November. He's had enough chances.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I still see Maurice extended at or near TC.

Then he's here for a bit longer. In spite of some questionable moves by PoMo at times, this team will still have success.

IMO it should be a lot shorter but I think you are probably right. Assuming Chevy gets an extension - PMo gets his the next day. The question is, how long will the extension be? 1 year = severance pay and the leash is short. Any more and he probably gets at least this year. Winning will make him a much better coach.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
IMO it should be a lot shorter but I think you are probably right. Assuming Chevy gets an extension - PMo gets his the next day. The question is, how long will the extension be? 1 year = severance pay and the leash is short. Any more and he probably gets at least this year. Winning will make him a much better coach.

No it won't. He'll be the same dog meat but his players will cover some of his deficiencies. Not enough to win a Stanley Cup, but some.

White Out 902

I'm usually right.
Aug 17, 2017
Cape Breton Island
I can't imagine it's very long. Cheveldayoff clearly knows that this season is important for the franchise in so many ways (fan morale, "the plan", development). We have the pieces to make the post season and if by American thanksgiving we aren't in a playoff spot I can see Maurice being given the heave-ho.

The wild card in this question/scenario is who's available. If a very high profile coach is on the market and free that might shorten the leash further.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I volunteer to coach the goalies because apparently nobody knows what they do.... I can do that or be a weather forecaster!

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
I volunteer to coach the goalies because apparently nobody knows what they do.... I can do that or be a weather forecaster!

Excellent idea. I would love to join you as the team's new motivational coach. I think my message of the power of positive thinking would resonate with this group. Together, I think we could take this team to a level they have yet to experience. ;)

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
No excuses this year if we stay reasonably healthy.
Chevy has done his job and supplied the team so it is Maurice's job to get them to win and make the playoffs.
Team discipline and special teams have to improve. I say we make the playoffs in third and just miss second.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Your Probably Right !!!

Why waste half the season? I hope you mean mid-November. He's had enough chances.

Your probably right here - like around 20- 25 games into the season, a decision should be made. If the Jet's are doing well, and heading for the playoffs--then OK- let Maurice stay, and see how the season goes.

If Chevy gets an extension, and he should- as I like what he's done, what if he extends Maurice before the season starts, and extends him for 2 years ??? I won't be impressed with Chevy's judgement, but I'm sure Chipman will have a lot to say on this matter.

Maurice should only be extended if he "earns it"- not given it because he's a well liked guy.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012

Stat people like Garret9 told us at length how Hutch was clearly an NHL goalie. That ignored his trajectory but that was what the stats said. I laughed.

AS for Maurice. He seems smart to listen to him. But there is too much talent to be this bad. What else could the problem be if its not him?

Last edited:

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Real 500
Loser points are from you know losing
Maurice needs to have a career year
I agree with Blue Shakehead
now would be good but that ain't happening

Not having enough loser points was a big problem last year. That was the difference between Maurice and Babcock. When the Jets won they were good. When they lost they got their lunch fed to them.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Not having enough loser points was a big problem last year. That was the difference between Maurice and Babcock. When the Jets won they were good. When they lost they got their lunch fed to them.

Those were the games when they didn't show up eg; NYI, Colorado and Buffalo off the top off my head.
Oh and the annual east coast trip though Philly in late November...
That's frustrating and cannot happen this year if we are going to be 3rd place caliber.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
No it won't. He'll be the same dog meat but his players will cover some of his deficiencies. Not enough to win a Stanley Cup, but some.

Not literally, but in the same sense that good goalies make good coaches.

Winning a round in the PO's this year will buy him 2-3 more years even if it is in spite of him.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg

Every coach has deficiencies that are covered by their personnel if they are winning the Cup. Hawks and Wings fans hate Q and Babcock :laugh:

I'm on board to send Maurice packing if it doesn't work this year. But 2/3 seasons, Chevy gave him a team emphasising development, not winning. I still believe in Maurice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->