Coach Discussion: Paul Maurice: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
listening to PoMO talk to reporters, he is a bit too smug at times as he tends to forget he hasn't won a SC yet....

Set aside the Stanley Cup, he has never won anything as the coach (not counting consolation prizes) from what I could tell.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Much better ice time distribution tonight by him. He also kept Morrissey on the PP which was another positive.

It's amazing what happens when the lines being distributed actually play well enough to warrant their time.
I get the chicken / egg thing - they won't get better until they play more - but there has to be a balance - a little give and take. The lines gave a little more last night.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
It's amazing what happens when the lines being distributed actually play well enough to warrant their time.
I get the chicken / egg thing - they won't get better until they play more - but there has to be a balance - a little give and take. The lines gave a little more last night.

Your point is well taken but it's not as if the first line was playing well enough to justify their ice time either. If your going to give one line the leeway to play through their struggles you should give the other ones the same leeway.

Reactions: Hulide and Ducky10

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
This thread should be renamed to Maurice as we are no longer talking about how long his rope is. Maurice is in no dangers of being fired. There is a lot to discuss about his discussions.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Of course, every coach who has won a Stanley Cup was at one time a coach who had never won a Stanley Cup. So, I don't worry too much about what he has done in the past. I save my concerns for the here and now.

So you're saying there's still hope for me?

Reactions: Laine Fan

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014

Saw some science news on CBC about the chicken and egg thing. After some sort of chemical analysis of something or other, it looks like the chicken came first. That must have been one helluva surprised chicken.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
I watched Mo talking pre-game about the ELL line and how they are learning the basics, but at the same time he is not addressing CSW not doing the basics on the defensive side. It's not sending the right message IMO.

That said, I don't expect any kind of truth in those PR events. Only a bad general would reveal his hand, but he's really casual about CSW, and said he "likes the structure of that line". I'm just wondering why he's cool with the undisciplined play of CSW, and the bad underlying statistics (and actual results so far) that come with that line (maybe in reality he is not, who knows).

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Of course, every coach who has won a Stanley Cup was at one time a coach who had never won a Stanley Cup. So, I don't worry too much about what he has done in the past. I save my concerns for the here and now.

He is not the same coach now that he was 10-15 years ago. Try as we might to stay the same, people change, learn, grow. Sometimes, but not always for the better. Mau's legacy as a coach will depend on whether or not he has learned things the right way. In some ways he appears to have, in other ways not so much. These next couple of years will be the real test for him.

Reactions: Laine Fan and GNP

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I guess there are pro Maurice fans and then there are the naysayers, that want him gone. The management group at TNSE is a very patient group of people, as long as they believe the coach has the ability and putting out the effort.

I think Maurice is here for at least 2 years after this season, and if he gets into the playoffs in both of the next 2 years, he'll likely be here for another 3 years.

The only think Maurice has yet to accomplish is winning the Stanley Cup -- he now has the Goaltending and scoring with this team, so if he can't do it with this version of the Jets, he likely never will. My bet is that he'll win at least one Cup with the Jets.

He's here for a long time folks.:cool:

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Your point is well taken but it's not as if the first line was playing well enough to justify their ice time either. If your going to give one line the leeway to play through their struggles you should give the other ones the same leeway.

Room to improve for sure - I agree there is work to do with line one.

Reactions: GNP

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Agree with whoever posted that maybe a mod could change the title of the thread to just a Paul Maurice thread as there is no leash. He had a team go 2nd in total points and to the Conference final last season. Team is on a 105 point pace supposedly struggling out of the gate. Lots that can be discussed around comments and decisions, but being on a short leash isn't one of them. He joins maybe a couple other coaches as being among the safest in the league.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Saw some science news on CBC about the chicken and egg thing. After some sort of chemical analysis of something or other, it looks like the chicken came first. That must have been one helluva surprised chicken.

I think science has shown that birds likely came from dinosaurs, so I'd imagine the Dinosaur came first.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
How So? For any changes to be made the egg would need hatched first. Evolution does change as you're living

The origin I guess wouldn't even be an egg it would be a single celled organism that eventually evolved to become some kind of Archosaur that laid an egg and it's ancestors eventually had to a series of mutations that eventually became a chicken. But can we prove that every ancestors of chickens always laid eggs?

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
The origin I guess wouldn't even be an egg it would be a single celled organism that eventually evolved to become some kind of Archosaur that laid an egg and it's ancestors eventually had to a series of mutations that eventually became a chicken. But can we prove that every ancestors of chickens always laid eggs?

Am I lost?

Reactions: Ducky10
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->