Coach Discussion: Paul Maurice Pt II, The gooder, the badder, the uglier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
WE GOT OUT GOALIED AGAINST VEGAS, simple as that!

Helly slumped badly against Vegas, Mo failed to make changes to the Jets game plan, fatigue had set in with certain players, certain players just didn’t elevate their games in the PO’s, whole bunch of factors, can’t Peg it just on Fleury, he certainly didn’t look exactly good against the Caps!

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
can someone statistically show who would be the best linemates for Bryan Little?
Perreault and Ehlers worked pretty well with him last season. In 212 minutes together at even strength they put up CF% 62.69, HDCA% 67.44, 13 GF, 5 GA (GF% 72.22). That might be inflated by them being on the 2nd powerplay unit and being out there for some quality zone time...but I recall them playing together as a line for a while and looking pretty good.

Reactions: HannuJ

WPGChief

May 25, 2017
Winnipeg
jetsnation.ca
can someone statistically show who would be the best linemates for Bryan Little?
uDlJMun.png

Over the course of this season and the past two, Little's best linemates have typically had either Wheeler or Perreault (or both) on his line. The Connor-Little-Laine experiment was good at first this season but has started to show some real ugly spots. Perreault being stuck on the third or fourth line because of the wish to maintain Lowry as a checking line is really why Maurice keeps opting to front-load his top 6, forcing Little to bear Laine and Ehlers/Connor. If you really want to theory-craft and try to give Little his best line and break up the Copp-Lowry-Tanev line, how does the following lineups sound?:

Petan-Scheifele-Wheeler
Ehlers-Little-Perreault
Connor-Lowry-Laine
Copp-Roslovic-Tanev/Appleton
Ehlers-Scheifele-Wheeler
Perreault-Little-Laine
Connor-Lowry-Copp
Petan-Roslovic-Tanev/Appleton
Connor-Scheifele-Laine
Perreault-Little-Wheeler
Ehlers-Lowry-Copp
Petan-Roslovic-Tanev/Appleton
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Lots of offense! Who really knows what happens with defense...

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Yes, there's nothing wrong Jamie Kompon.
The dodges on giving Maurice any credit are getting more creative. Maurice was excoriated for a "passive" PK. He explained that the strategy was to influence shots to certain regions on the ice that were less dangerous and more predictable for his goalies. He also indicated it would take a bit of time for PKers to master the system.

For the past two years the PK has been effective, and achieving results exactly as planned. Now the success belongs to Kompon.

Like any fan, I find a lot of Maurice's decisions frustrating at times, but he has turned a young and offensively talented team into a very good defensive team, with good suppression of high danger shots. Oh, and he's done this with Chiarot on the second pair and favorite whipping boy Myers anchoring the third pair.

Funny how results used to be the favorite yardstick for Maurice, until the Jets started churning out terrific results. If they win a cup, I'm waiting to hear how it's thanks to Zinger...

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
The dodges on giving Maurice any credit are getting more creative. Maurice was excoriated for a "passive" PK. He explained that the strategy was to influence shots to certain regions on the ice that were less dangerous and more predictable for his goalies. He also indicated it would take a bit of time for PKers to master the system.

For the past two years the PK has been effective, and achieving results exactly as planned. Now the success belongs to Kompon.

Like any fan, I find a lot of Maurice's decisions frustrating at times, but he has turned a young and offensively talented team into a very good defensive team, with good suppression of high danger shots. Oh, and he's done this with Chiarot on the second pair and favorite whipping boy Myers anchoring the third pair.

Funny how results used to be the favorite yardstick for Maurice, until the Jets started churning out terrific results. If they win a cup, I'm waiting to hear how it's thanks to Zinger...

If they win a cup I'll give Maurice an A+ but I'll still think they won in spite of him.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Interesting perspective.
By your descriptors--garbage, stupidity, comical--it is abundantly clear how you feel about Maurice. It is also interesting that you describe last season as disastrous. But given that the Jets ended the season as the #2 team in the league, a position they currently occupy now, as well, I am curious:
1)Do you think there is a snowball's chance in hell that Maurice loses his job in the foreseeable future?
2)What do you think of Chevy, Maurice's boss, who has shown absolute confidence in Maurice?
3) Are you actually enjoying watching the Jets..because, I assure you, these are the glory days.

Lets say someone was trying to get through a brick wall with a shovel. This person had a drill and other tools at his disposal but he would try to shovel through anyway, over and over and over again without getting nowhere. Would I consider that comical? Hells yeah. Would I question the rationality? Absolutely. Not that I'd necessarily be enjoying the show (cause eventually you get bored) but nonetheless.

I don't know how people glean so badly on the points or where they finished in the regular season considering that the Jets had/(have) one of the deepest if not deepest rosters in the entire league. Any coach would thrive basically with only fundamental knowledge of hockey and by having common sense (which P.Mo could have just a tad bit more). What about losing to a much inferior team (LV) when it really mattered?

Now as for your questions, I do think Maurice has formed extensive personal network within the organization and he has excellent social skills, which certainly work for his benefit. So if he has some kind of internal safety net that can keep him in the job and overlook the terrible decision making, lack of imagination/creativity and lack of professional traits, I really don't know. So to answer your question without any concrete inside information, I really don't know. I truly hope that isn't the case though and that they'll find someone more capable. As for Chevy having full confidence? The answer is pretty much the same. I heard a rumour that he wanted Maurice out at some point but Chipman intervened. Cannot remember who said this and I didn't really take it too seriously. I did think highly of Chevy at one point since he has done wonderful job at building and drafting the foundation we are seeing this very moment, but my trust for the man has diminished over time and I don't really know what to think of him at this moment. Lastly, the only team I watch 100% without missing a game (well ok, might have missed a handful over the two+ years). Of course I have other teams and players on the radar and I record a lot of hockey and watch other Finnish talents like Aho and Rantanen, but it's nothing like watching the Jets without really missing a beat.

With that said, I absolutely hope for the best for the team but at the same time it's extremely difficult to overlook the poor coaching being displayed day to day. The team deserves better.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Lets say someone was trying to get through a brick wall with a shovel. This person had a drill and other tools at his disposal but he would try to shovel through anyway, over and over and over again without getting nowhere. Would I consider that comical? Hells yeah. Would I question the rationality? Absolutely. Not that I'd necessarily be enjoying the show (cause eventually you get bored) but nonetheless.

I don't know how people glean so badly on the points or where they finished in the regular season considering that the Jets had/(have) one of the deepest if not deepest rosters in the entire league. Any coach would thrive basically with only fundamental knowledge of hockey and by having common sense (which P.Mo could have just a tad bit more). What about losing to a much inferior team (LV) when it really mattered?

Now as for your questions, I do think Maurice has formed extensive personal network within the organization and he has excellent social skills, which certainly work for his benefit. So if he has some kind of internal safety net that can keep him in the job and overlook the terrible decision making, lack of imagination/creativity and lack of professional traits, I really don't know. So to answer your question without any concrete inside information, I really don't know. I truly hope that isn't the case though and that they'll find someone more capable. As for Chevy having full confidence? The answer is pretty much the same. I heard a rumour that he wanted Maurice out at some point but Chipman intervened. Cannot remember who said this and I didn't really take it too seriously. I did think highly of Chevy at one point since he has done wonderful job at building and drafting the foundation we are seeing this very moment, but my trust for the man has diminished over time and I don't really know what to think of him at this moment. Lastly, the only team I watch 100% without missing a game (well ok, might have missed a handful over the two+ years). Of course I have other teams and players on the radar and I record a lot of hockey and watch other Finnish talents like Aho and Rantanen, but it's nothing like watching the Jets without really missing a beat.

With that said, I absolutely hope for the best for the team but at the same time it's extremely difficult to overlook the poor coaching being displayed day to day. The team deserves better.
Seriously, you are so over the top with these diatribes it's virtually impossible to take you seriously. Continuing to rant about the "horrible" coaching on a team that's been top 5 in the league for going on 2 years, and who reached the conference final the year after missing the playoffs altogether, is just completely devoid of credibility.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Seriously, you are so over the top with these diatribes it's virtually impossible to take you seriously. Continuing to rant about the "horrible" coaching on a team that's been top 5 in the league for going on 2 years, and who reached the conference final the year after missing the playoffs altogether, is just completely devoid of credibility.

"Diatribes"? Give me a break. I don't really care how to perceive that or this. Oh and I'm very well aware of your stance and jumping at the flames whenever the front gets it's own share of critique. Actually what this reminds me of is the usual black and white kind of a conclusion of something while purposely forgetting the context, and this even after I basically stated that an average Joe could have provided similar results. It's not Maurice who delivered the goods, it's Chevy. The former just doesn't really know how to deal with abundance of resource.

Reactions: Psych0dad

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B

It is not devoid of credibility. A great roster can absolve a lot of coaching mistakes.

Use of ELL, inability to break up first line are just some of the most glaring issues

Reactions: kelsier

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
A lot of talk of the ideal line up, but I'm really liking the in game switching of the LW's on the top 2 lines. To me Maurice is trying to optimize based on game situation and Ehlers and Connor add different elements to Scheif and Wheeler depending on what the other team is doing defensively. When the opposition is playing aggressively and pushing for offense Ehlers provides a quick strike and creation of odd man rushes and easy zone exits and entries. When a team starts playing more conservatively/passive they become more susceptible to a heavy cycle game which Connor excels at. If Maurice keeps doing this Scheifele and Wheeler just might end up with a 120 points each.

TheJadePipe

Mar 8, 2016
They would be better, much better. The depth of the team is almost insane and any coach would provide results given the same resources. You can stare at the points all you like, but those points won't do much justice when playoffs come. When there's an actual coach with even close to as good team behind him, someone who actually knows how to get the most out of what he has - that's when the troubles arrive.
Pfffft... It works both ways, cause I believe without Maurice we wouldn’t have made it past Nashville.

TheJadePipe

Mar 8, 2016
A lot of talk of the ideal line up, but I'm really liking the in game switching of the LW's on the top 2 lines. To me Maurice is trying to optimize based on game situation and Ehlers and Connor add different elements to Scheif and Wheeler depending on what the other team is doing defensively. When the opposition is playing aggressively and pushing for offense Ehlers provides a quick strike and creation of odd man rushes and easy zone exits and entries. When a team starts playing more conservatively/passive they become more susceptible to a heavy cycle game which Connor excels at. If Maurice keeps doing this Scheifele and Wheeler just might end up with a 120 points each.
The ELL line doesn’t work when Ehlers is off his game... Connor works on both lines and our 1st line is better with him on it. PoMO is simply putting Ehlers on the first to get him going and hoping he will keep going when he is dropped to the 2nd line.

TheJadePipe

Mar 8, 2016
Preds series was obviously a tough one but after that they lost against a bunch of misfits. In that series Jets were totally outcoached. In a way end result was good but they had the red carpet to the finals in front of them.
Outcoached?? Pffft. Did you watch? We outplayed LV but got outgoalied, Plain and simple

Reactions: YWGinYYZ

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
The ELL line doesn’t work when Ehlers is off his game... Connor works on both lines and our 1st line is better with him on it. PoMO is simply putting Ehlers on the first to get him going and hoping he will keep going when he is dropped to the 2nd line.
Maurice was hinting at what I suggested earlier in the week when asked about if the juggling was about how his team was playing and he basically said it has little to do with the play of his players but rather what the other team was doing defensively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad