Coach Discussion: Paul Maurice Pt II, The gooder, the badder, the uglier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheJadePipe

Mar 8, 2016
Maurice was hinting at what I suggested earlier in the week when asked about if the juggling was about how his team was playing and he basically said it has little to do with the play of his players but rather what the other team was doing defensively.
That’s a good coach not throwing players under the bus

TheJadePipe

Mar 8, 2016
He did? Wheeler and Scheifele were separated? When? Where?[/QUOTE
If PoMo separated Wheeler and Chef with their clear chemistry right now, I would no longer support PoMo. That would be the dumbest coaching decision in 2.0 history, In fact it would be so bad I would think the team was being coached by a fan whom really doesn’t understand the game

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
That’s a good coach not throwing players under the bus
You may be right but I was at Thursday's Oilers game and as soon as the Oilers started going into a prevent defense Connor was moved up and Ehlers down and it resulted in a goal. I will watch closely going forward to see if things trend this way.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I could see a Tanev-Roslovic-Appleton 4th line being successful freeing up Lowry to have some more scoring on his wings.

Once Connor and Laine become a bit more successful defensively in Maurice’s eyes, I think he might show more willingness to make some other changes. But right now some things are pretty set in stone in his eyes.

Reactions: Jack722

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Ahhhhh!!!! I dont Think so....

Yeh that’s not what’s happening at all. With Ehlers, Scheif and Wheeler spend far less time in the defensive zone. With Connor their defensive shortcomings are exposed a bit. They’ll generate offense regardless because they’re that dam good.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
It is not devoid of credibility. A great roster can absolve a lot of coaching mistakes.

Use of ELL, inability to break up first line are just some of the most glaring issues
The "roster is so talented a trained monkey could coach it" analysis is easily the thinnest and most transparent of all the arguments.

Laughable really.
"Diatribes"? Give me a break. I don't really care how to perceive that or this. Oh and I'm very well aware of your stance and jumping at the flames whenever the front gets it's own share of critique. Actually what this reminds me of is the usual black and white kind of a conclusion of something while purposely forgetting the context, and this even after I basically stated that an average Joe could have provided similar results. It's not Maurice who delivered the goods, it's Chevy. The former just doesn't really know how to deal with abundance of resource.

Reactions: Duke749

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
The "roster is so talented a trained monkey could coach it" analysis is easily the thinnest and most transparent of all the arguments.

Laughable really.

Well you should not exclude the specific examples offered for his weaknesses. You should address those instead of just calling it thin. Offer a rational reason for his failure with the line issues etc. We have numbers to show his choices wrong. So how do you respond to that? Is it thin too?

Reactions: thegr8one66

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
OMG... What do you think outgoalied means??

Doesn't mean what you think it means obviously.

We did run into a hot goalie but we also ran into a dry spell for our top shooters -
Both can happen at the same time - OMG!

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Well you should not exclude the specific examples offered for his weaknesses. You should address those instead of just calling it thin. Offer a rational reason for his failure with the line issues etc. We have numbers to show his choices wrong. So how do you respond to that? Is it thin too?
How do any of those support the argument that any average Joe could do the same with this team? Almost everybody on this board points to things they disagree with Maurice on but only a select few keep railing about the horrible coaching and how much better the 2nd best team in the league could be without him.

It's a joke, the line issues are overblown, just like all the invented talk about the PP needing work. The anybody could do this line is the last vestige of the desperate.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Looks at PP numbers
Looks at PK numbers
Looks at GF and GA
Looks at some advanced stats
Notices they're in 2nd in the League.

Then, reads this thread.

leaving-now-grandpa-simpsons.gif

A lot of people actually have some really good points about where things could improve, but it's wrapped in so much hyperbole, no one is actually having a conversation with each other. :laugh:

TheJadePipe

Mar 8, 2016

We did run into a hot goalie but we also ran into a dry spell for our top shooters -
I’m saying our top scorers didn’t score was because MAF was on fire

TheJadePipe

Mar 8, 2016
I could see a Tanev-Roslovic-Appleton 4th line being successful freeing up Lowry to have some more scoring on his wings.

Once Connor and Laine become a bit more successful defensively in Maurice’s eyes, I think he might show more willingness to make some other changes. But right now some things are pretty set in stone in his eyes.
Dropping Tanev would be nice for the 4th..... Only if we still had Armia to take his place on the 3rd

TheJadePipe

Mar 8, 2016
Well when Copp comes back it’s be fine because he could play 3rd line and then there’s Perreault as well.
I realize that... But if our lines were like...
Lowery, Armia and copp
Roslo, MattyP, and Tanev

I like that

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Ohhhh you wanted them separated?

You'll probably have to wait until they're not tied for 5th in league scoring.

If Mo didn't separate them then, he won't separate them now :laugh:

Though it would be nice if
you got 1 player on 1 line 5th in league scoring
and you got another player on another line again 5th in league scoring

but if that happens.

I bet
1 player would be top 3 in scoring
and another one will fall of the top 10

:)

In the end, Jets winning. Just keep on winning

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018

Can you explain how you know the difference?

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
Can you explain how you know the difference?
Take Laine for an example - his shot was off and Fleury standing on his head didn't have much to do with, it since Laine shoots for the corners a lot (where there is enough net to shoot at no matter how well the goalie plays).

Reactions: LowLefty
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad