Paul MacLean Appreciation Thread

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Could be the biggest difference in this team the change in coaches but it's still only ten games.

Apaharn

Aug 12, 2008
Bump.

It is roughly the halfway point of the season, and the team is currently occupying the final playoff spot. Given how many of the pundits and the experts have picked the Senators to be a lottery team and fighting for the Basement Bowl, it can be safely said that the team is surpassing expectations. Being ahead of the Leafs is also a bonus. :laugh:

Regarding the final product on the ice, it is a breath of fresh air. Although the team is rebuilding, and growing pains are to be expected as seen in the past game vs Montreal, overall the play of the team does give hope for the future. From rookies who came into the squad and have performed better than many have envisaged such as Cowen, to players having breakout seasons such as Karlsson and Michalek, to the numerous come from behind wins in the 3rd period, this season has been entertaining, which as fans is what we all ask for at this stage.

In short, given how a lot of love is being given to many players who are performing, I feel that some love must be given to Paul MacLean. :handclap:

sexytime

Apr 17, 2009
Ottawa
Bump.

It is roughly the halfway point of the season, and the team is currently occupying the final playoff spot. Given how many of the pundits and the experts have picked the Senators to be a lottery team and fighting for the Basement Bowl, it can be safely said that the team is surpassing expectations. Being ahead of the Leafs is also a bonus. :laugh:

Regarding the final product on the ice, it is a breath of fresh air. Although the team is rebuilding, and growing pains are to be expected as seen in the past game vs Montreal, overall the play of the team does give hope for the future. From rookies who came into the squad and have performed better than many have envisaged such as Cowen, to players having breakout seasons such as Karlsson and Michalek, to the numerous come from behind wins in the 3rd period, this season has been entertaining, which as fans is what we all ask for at this stage.

In short, given how a lot of love is being given to many players who are performing, I feel that some love must be given to Paul MacLean. :handclap:

Good bump. I would say Maclean's the main reason why the team has had so much success this year. If you watch them they appear to be well coached, and MacLean is great at using players according the the skills they bring to the game.

harvey

Jun 5, 2006
Ottawa
Maclaen is emphasizing offence.
Getting to score goals is very difficult, look at the last 3 years.
Every player can be coached to learn defence.
It's the offence that is important.
I love where he has taken the team this year, and wait expectanly for the next 3

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
Such a breath of fresh air. The young guys are finding out how good they can be and it's obvious they like each other. Contrast this with say Edmonton who everyone said with their gaggle of young talent would tear it up. So much more goes into creating a team than assembling young talent. Management and coaching also play huge roles.

SensSharksGirl*

Paul Maclean is an amazing coach, he first started to like hockey in his younger years. As a coach, he plans which players should be on the ice and during the timeouts, he is serious by telling the Senators players what they should in the last few seconds of the third period. Paul MacLean: the best Senators coach ever.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
Paul Maclean is an amazing coach, he first started to like hockey in his younger years. As a coach, he plans which players should be on the ice and during the timeouts, he is serious by telling the Senators players what they should in the last few seconds of the third period. Paul MacLean: the best Senators coach ever.

hitnail.jpg

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
gotta give him a huge amount of credit for putting into practice what he's been preaching from the beginning. 200 ft., 60 mins, play fast and hard, get pucks to the net :nod:

but most of all, he is making it fun for them again. (something i've been waiting for since that other guy was here. what was his name again? )

Shanny

Let's Win It All
Jun 12, 2009
Bytown
Shoot the puck everytime

Let Karlsson shine

Play a 200 foot game and you'll be fine

Can't go wrong with that philosophy.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
44 shots last game and that was on a back-to-back game. The night before we had around 40 as well?

I remember last year when I wanted to kill myself because we would take 20 shots a game for long stretches. Didn't we have a game where we took 12 shots or something?

LOOOOL!

Healfezza

Sep 9, 2008
Red Deer
With the way we have been running and gunning (saw in another thread our goal differential is 0 if you discount the horrible start) with other teams so far this year with a less skilled team on paper I can only imagine how we would be doing if we had two legit T6 players in the cap space we have.

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
Paul Maclean def deserves some love, but good on BM for hiring Cameron and Reed. The whole staff knows what they are doing while letting the players know they're roles. Look at our offence so far; Michalek 19 goals, Spezza 13 goals, Alfredsson Smith and Foligno all with 11 goals. Add up Karlsson leading the league for points by a Dman and considering our D put up the second most points in the league behind Vancouver, you cant help but be impressed with what we have so far so big props to BM, management, Maclean and the whole staff.

Now all we need is better goaltending and to fix those defensive lapses and we should be consistentely fighting for the 8-7-6 spots in the East. But wow such a refreshing atmosphere, I haven't been this excited for the team since 07.. heck maybe even more. Such a bright future!

ShotDownCrosby

Sep 29, 2009
Ontario
My fav. thing about MacLean is that he has made this team believe in themselves. You hear the players talk with such joy and excitement about the game now. Last year it was like they were just out of steam, and it was half way through the year. This year the team is really fighting, and a huge part of that goes to MacLean.

I also love the fact that MacLean listens to the players but is tough (Spezza telling MacLean to throw Konopka in on the PP to take the face off, and leads to Konopka's first PP goal in like 5 years). And the fact that MacLean rewards players for good play. Just because a player is a top player, doesn't actually mean he will get PP time. If they aren't working well that game, the Smith line may be thrown out there. And I love that!

I was happy, but holding back a bit, when we hired MacLean, and so far I am more than happy with what he's done with this team. Taking a lottery team on paper and gelling them together to make a team who could actually make the playoffs.

otown

Sep 4, 2009
Shoot the puck everytime

Let Karlsson shine

Play a 200 foot game and you'll be fine

Can't go wrong with that philosophy.

Totally agree, plus you have a bunch of young guys who see the value of hard work and a never give up attitude.
The run they went on to the Calder cup last year in Bingo and the attitude that goes with it has carried over big time.

Yokai

Mar 29, 2011
Ottawa
Kevin Dineen and Ken Hitchcock say hi.

Both of those coaches are making their teams better, but were they picked to be last in the league?

When St. Louis was losing people just kept talking about how they SHOULD be better with the youth and talent they have. They get a better coach and the team starts playing the sort of hockey people were expecting.

Dineen would be the only one who could compare with Paulrus. He took a jumbled new team and has had some great success, but Florida still wasn't picked to be dead last in the east.

Ottawa was suppose to be last in the league, not able to score, not able to defend and have a horrible season. Hows that working out?

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
Coming from Detroit is a major reason why he can give this team confidence in between periods, he knows how to win and now hes teaching this young team the same. We will only get better, watch us be top 3 teams in the league 2013-2014 with the way things are going.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad