Paul MacLean Appreciation Thread

Valley Boys

In addition to the style of hockey - I just really appreciate that he's honest and forthcoming in every interview. Too many NHL coaches (and players) just throw out the same well worn tropes. So far I find PM's answers to be thoughtful and exactly the kind of information I want to hear.

FlapjackSilver

Dec 15, 2010
Calgary
With all the youth on this team it's going to be a "bipolar" season, so get use to it I guess.

True say. I'm glad Mac is our coach, and he's been saying all the right things, the team is skating hard (for the most part).

I think I'm gonna stay away from the boards come February once reality kicks in :sarcasm:

Iamok

Oct 20, 2010
Our third periods are exactly the opposite of last year. Now if only we could fix the first two.

Afro Thunder*

"He's a guy you want to play for. It's been fun around here. He expects you to work hard and if you work hard he's happy with you. He can live with the outcome, as long as you're working hard." -- Sens forward Chris Neil on new coach Paul MacLean

Nice quote from neil.

pt_mck

Jul 1, 2005
Ottawa
Sens defence is a frigging mess. Maybe he should spend more time teaching instead of just skating them hard.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Sens defence is a frigging mess. Maybe he should spend more time teaching instead of just skating them hard.

If they had been skating hard last night they would have played better, but they weren't even trying.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa

This is exactly the kind of team that the Sens will struggle with -- a real quick aggressive forecheck will beat us every time.

Our D is composed of older guys who are slow and susceptible to the forecheck, and young guys who are inexperienced and will make mistakes when their time is taken away.

ShotDownCrosby

Sep 29, 2009
Ontario
I must say I really do like his video's on the sens website. He's very honest, and will work the team hard.

This is going to be a huge work in progress, and so far he looks like he's up for it.

Love the quote from Neil above. Hopefully the team turns it around for next game.

pt_mck

Jul 1, 2005
Ottawa
If they had been skating hard last night they would have played better, but they weren't even trying.

This is exactly the kind of team that the Sens will struggle with -- a real quick aggressive forecheck will beat us every time.

Our D is composed of older guys who are slow and susceptible to the forecheck, and young guys who are inexperienced and will make mistakes when their time is taken away.

It's not just about skating hard.

It's about a transition game, positioning, smart plays, risk management/mitigation, puck support, gap control, defensive awareness...

These things need to be taught to the young guns and reinforced in the grey beards.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
He's a good coach. Like the team he's going to grow over the course of the next couple of seasons. Give him time and he'll be fine.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Murray didn't give him much chance from the start with veterans like Phillips, Gonchar, Kuba signed to big contracts.

If i were PM i'd be thinking the GM is a pretty dumb guy.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
MacLean really settled the boys down after what looked like a disaster in the making after the first period.

He even settled the rookies and made them play like veterans!

He got some help from Gonchar, though :sarcasm:

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Paul MacLean is a fair and honest coach. I can understand why a vet like Neil would like him because he rewards hard work. During games he recognizes the players that are going that night and uses them in key situations. Neil was causing havoc in front of the net when Regin scored the only Sens goal so who did MacLean put on the ice at the end of the game for the extra attacker? Neil! Would anyone else have done that?

btw) Kudos to Foligno for giving the puck to Regin who was in better position for the shot.

Forget that crappy AVS game, take away a few borderline penalties, some bad bounces and goals being waived off and this team is playing no worse than 500 in spite of our D and goalie playing sub par except against Wash.

Bilbo Baggins

Sep 11, 2008
Victoria, B.C.
I like him a lot, and I really believe he is going to be a good coach for our rebuilding team.

The one thing that concerned me a bit yesterday though was the ice-time for Alfie. I know he wants to win, but he will have to be very careful to balance the need for Alfie on the ice, and not burning him out. It is a long season, and Alfie is, unfortunately, not that young any more. I think PM is smart enough to realize the need to keep him fresh. It may even be necessary to give some of the veterans some games off later in the year.

Overall, I think we are lucky to have PM. We have had our share of duds for head coach, but I think Murray got it right this time.

number72

Oct 9, 2011
Why the hell are we talking about firing people five games into a season we've all agreed will be a rebuilding one?!

Well tell that the Senators GM - he is aiming for the playoffs - as silly an unreasonable as we may think of that. My point is I hope PM is not the scapegoat.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
I wonder if Detroit's missing MacLean? They aren't off to a great start. Not enough back-patting on the Wings bench these days?

D0C

Sep 28, 2010
After reading this thread, I hope some of you are eating crow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad