Paul Hendrick Appreciation Thread (no longer covering Leafs)

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Not judging him as a person as I’m certain he is a good man but I thought he sucked as a Leafs reporter.

All he did was lob up softball questions to the players and coaches for decades. Especially during the Burke era which made me the most frustrated with him.
I think personally that i wish writers were more like him instead of digging for dirt and blind siding players. They rush to be story breakers. Personally i would request input from players on breaking or not breaking until a other time. I would be fine with the real story when a player or coach was ready to give it. More open, honest, less predatory always preferred for me.

BrannigansLaw

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Sad, seems like a lot of the players really loved him and by all accounts he's a great guy. Wish him the best

Of course they loved him. He's the type of guy to ask the team what they're summer workout plans are during a post-Game 7 loss media scrum.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Only a matter of time until the put in a "new era" type replacement.

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
Why fix what isn’t broken. Strange move. Greg Miller on the other hand keeps on keeping on.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Not judging him as a person as I’m certain he is a good man but I thought he sucked as a Leafs reporter.

All he did was lob up softball questions to the players and coaches for decades. Especially during the Burke era which made me the most frustrated with him.
perhaps he got tired of asking "lob ball" questions so had to go, we'll find out if his replacement asks more in depth questions, I doubt it. MLSE want a puppet not a reporter imo..............

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
He was more a moderator for the Team than a reporter.
There's definitely a place for this in the sports and entertainment business. It's all about leisure and enjoyment.

Sure, there's plenty of room for critical analysis, but everything doesn't have to be investigative reporting. Good-news stories are fun and enjoyable too.

I think he did a pretty good job at what he was hired to do.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Met Henny a few times, one of the nicest guys out there.

Sucks to see him go, always enjoyed his interviews at the draft and prospect camps specifically where he was awesome with the young kids, especially the ones that didn't speak english that well.

Reactions: ACC1224

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Guy has been around forever, video voice over and announcer introducing guests on the Don Cherry Grapevine shows in the 80's. Hamilton. What a career. Professional and always polite.

Last edited:
Reactions: hoglund

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
You always claim to know everyone, and yet you've already been caught lying about Kadri (seeing and talking to him at the golf course) and about Marner being at his cottage (when he was with PM's family).
Dude I have no idea who you are but Freddy Kadri and Phil da thrill played as a 3some at my club together. They played as a threesome. Call over to Phil who is our head pro and you can confirm for yourself. Mitch was to be da 4th but he did not show. And I know Mitch like I know my own kids. One of my kids played many years on same team which I sponsored. And Stuey is one of my good buddies. Even Paul is though he has gone dark past year. My kids went to LP so they know one of Paul's kids. and Bowen lives close to both us. So we see each other on walks with da wives. Da hockey world in da GTHL with kids who have a chance at da show is very very small.

Reactions: ACC1224

the squared circle

Aug 3, 2005
Maple Leaf Gardens
Guy has been around forever, video voice over and announcer introducing guests on the Don Cherry Grapevine shows in the 80's. Hamilton. What a career. Professional and always polite.

I remember him doing sports in the 80s on CHCH, so it makes sense that he was the voiceover on Grapevine. Cool to know.
Used to love watching Grapevine. Remember the token Irish bartender? haha Great show.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Sad to see the guy go

He was pretty cringe as a reporter and so so doing play by play but you could tell the guy loved the team, it's players and fans

Reactions: Menzinger

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Sad to see the guy go

He was pretty cringe as a reporter and so so doing play by play but you could tell the guy loved the team, it's players and fans
I don’t recall ever hearing Hendrick do play-by-play.

As someone employed by the team to ask questions of players, what do you think he should have done and why do you think that should be part of the role?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad