Paul Hendrick Appreciation Thread (no longer covering Leafs)

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I don’t recall ever hearing Hendrick do play-by-play.

As someone employed by the team to ask questions of players, what do you think he should have done and why do you think that should be part of the role?

He did some Marlies commentary

It shouldn't be a role because an obvious Leafs fan and employee throwing softball questions at the coach and players is extremely cringe

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
Henny was a useful team media member and did a good job. I remember him doing pbp on preseason scrimmages and what not, stuff Rogers or bell wouldn't send out a guy to do. He had a unique access to the players. Best of luck to him. You can tell the players always liked him and he did a good job balancing out the usual negativity from some of the other media.

BrannigansLaw

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Henny was a useful team media member and did a good job. I remember him doing pbp on preseason scrimmages and what not, stuff Rogers or bell wouldn't send out a guy to do. He had a unique access to the players. Best of luck to him. You can tell the players always liked him and he did a good job balancing out the usual negativity from some of the other media.

In fairness to the regular media, the Leafs weren't really providing much positives to work with :laugh:. I know what you mean though about the negativity (cough Simmons cough)

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Not judging him as a person as I’m certain he is a good man but I thought he sucked as a Leafs reporter.

All he did was lob up softball questions to the players and coaches for decades. Especially during the Burke era which made me the most frustrated with him.

There are plenty of media members who will rake em over the coals. Paul just asked people their favorite color, let em engage as much as they wanted, and smiled a lot. The genial grandpa of Leaf Land was his angle, and that's fine imo.

Reactions: saffronleaf

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
To the people saying he asked softball questions and didn't really bring much need to realize not everyone in Toronto media needs to be an asshole. There's plenty of media people who go hard at Leafs players and coaches/management and Henny was always positive about everything even if people were being disrespectful on twitter and tried to get him to say negative stuff about the teams players and all that. I'm sure the players and coaches will miss him being around.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
To the people saying he asked softball questions and didn't really bring much need to realize not everyone in Toronto media needs to be an asshole. There's plenty of media people who go hard at Leafs players and coaches/management and Henny was always positive about everything even if people were being disrespectful on twitter and tried to get him to say negative stuff about the teams players and all that. I'm sure the players and coaches will miss him being around.

Yep.

He was also very helpful on twitter regarding fan questions.

Came across like a genuinely nice dude

Reactions: DirkStraun and Ciao

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Realistically any reporter that is being paid by the team they are reporting on isn't going to go in on said team. It is more a problem with the position itself rather then the individual.

He was the perfect guy for the job then. To me, he just came off as flat, yawn-inducing - a perfect guy to watch to bring your heart rate down to a near comatose level. Basically, the Toby Flenderson of hockey reporting.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
yep, out goes middle aged white guy...in comes...we'll see . . .
Gerry Liscumb Jr. is the Director of Public Relations and Hockey Administration for the Soo Greyhounds. He's been calling the play-by-play for their radio broadcasts since 2005.

Do all roads to the Toronto Maple Leafs pass through Sault Ste. Marie?

Reactions: FreeBird

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Of course they loved him. He's the type of guy to ask the team what they're summer workout plans are during a post-Game 7 loss media scrum.
The guy was a paid employee of the team and really was more of a moderator than anything else. I honestly think his job was just to be an 'anti reporter' in a way and help guys get acclimated with media in a positive manner. Don't see the issue when there's a dozen other sharks circling the players at any moment.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Dude I have no idea who you are but Freddy Kadri and Phil da thrill played as a 3some at my club together. They played as a threesome. Call over to Phil who is our head pro and you can confirm for yourself. Mitch was to be da 4th but he did not show. And I know Mitch like I know my own kids. One of my kids played many years on same team which I sponsored. And Stuey is one of my good buddies. Even Paul is though he has gone dark past year. My kids went to LP so they know one of Paul's kids. and Bowen lives close to both us. So we see each other on walks with da wives. Da hockey world in da GTHL with kids who have a chance at da show is very very small.

You're full of da crap

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Always liked him and his soft approach.

I hope this is of his choice, and that he wanted to retire. Otherwise, I can't see a reason for it....

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I remember Paul Hendrick and Wes Hicks covering CIAU basketball when I was going to the University of Guelph. Saw Paul hammering on his car horn at a driver in front of him in Hamilton as well. He didn't care how his driving behavior was while driving a vehicle that said "CHCH" on the side.

I wish him well.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
Which reporters regularly asked players or coaches "tough questions"?

Sure there are media members who are harsh on players and coaches when doing radio hits and writing columns. But interviews, it's pretty much softball questions from everyone.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
He's leaving on his own terms it should be noted. His wife has been battling cancer and he wants to spend more time with her.
That's a good call. Hopefully, she fights through. I was convinced it was a 'woke' stepping down.

Thanks for some insight.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
You're full of da crap
Must be a computer nerd who is too lazy to make a call and confirm for yourself. It is so easy to do. Again call Phil my head pro at Islington. There are only 350+/- of us members. And only a few ex-hockey players. Taylor Hall plays at our club. And I have met him a couple times in passing too. Big deal. These are just kids. You must think this is some special thing.

The Nic

Jul 26, 2009
Seems to me that people feel a reporter's job is to demean or embarrass the person that they're interviewing. It's not. If you behave that way... you very quickly find that no one will talk to you. That should come as no surprise. I found Mr. Hendrick to be genuinely enthusiastic, warm and unbiased on TV... sort of the anti-Hughson. I'll miss him.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Gerry Liscumb Jr. is the Director of Public Relations and Hockey Administration for the Soo Greyhounds. He's been calling the play-by-play for their radio broadcasts since 2005.

Do all roads to the Toronto Maple Leafs pass through Sault Ste. Marie?
apparently so............

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad