Paul Hendrick Appreciation Thread (no longer covering Leafs)

BrannigansLaw

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Not judging him as a person as I’m certain he is a good man but I thought he sucked as a Leafs reporter.

All he did was lob up softball questions to the players and coaches for decades. Especially during the Burke era which made me the most frustrated with him.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Not judging him as a person as I’m certain he is a good man but I thought he sucked as a Leafs reporter.

All he did was lob up softball questions to the players and coaches for decades. Especially during the Burke era which made me the most frustrated with him.
Realistically any reporter that is being paid by the team they are reporting on isn't going to go in on said team. It is more a problem with the position itself rather then the individual.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

He was more a moderator for the Team than a reporter.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Sad, seems like a lot of the players really loved him and by all accounts he's a great guy. Wish him the best

Reactions: saffronleaf

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009

yeah like when there was some news story coming in hot and some reporter was just dying to drive a wedge... paul is there and asks a question which sometimes related, allows the situation to defuse and makes people feel silly

the way i see it, he's the kind of guy that doesn't seek answers or headlines, but seeks insights and to help tell a story. sometimes it comes across as dull, but not everything in the world needs to be a gotcha.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

Its not like he was an independent journalist trying to get scoops. He was an employee of the team. Basically PR.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
MLSE employee planted into all the media areas for years to do just that. You can tell he's a great guy and it must have been very enjoyable for players to have him around, but that's pretty much what he was.

CincoHolio

Jan 8, 2013
Toronto
Some of y'all really don't have a firm grasp on the various branches of media functions and team PR roles.

The guy's job was mainly a game day at rink reporter much like Kyle Bukauskas. It isn't these guy's mandate to stir the pot. Every team's coverage has someone like this. There are more than enough poo disturbing media members in this town to not need to have everyone do it.

He is a class act guy and will be missed.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
MLSE employee planted into all the media areas for years to do just that. You can tell he's a great guy and it must have been very enjoyable for players to have him around, but that's pretty much what he was.
'Planted' makes it seem like there was something nefarious going on. It should be pretty clear to everyone what his job was.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
He was an employee of the team, not a reporter. He's supposed to ask softballs.

Anyways, I hate this. The Leafs better have an explanation for why they felt this was necessary.
Exactly, I didn't mean he was supposed to ask anything but as an employee of the team. It's just what he was supposed to do, and he was good at it.

I wonder if it is the team or Henny that decided on this.

Reactions: Ciao

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Always a gent... have had a beer or two with him after picking up kids from school at LP at clarkson Pump ... seems too young to retire ... met Bowen through him ... Bowen must be back again .. have not seen him walking his 2 waterdogs this week

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Always a gent... have had a beer or two with him after picking up kids from school at LP at clarkson Pump ... seems too young to retire ... met Bowen through him ... Bowen must be back again .. have not seen him walking his 2 waterdogs this week

You always claim to know everyone, and yet you've already been caught lying about Kadri (seeing and talking to him at the golf course) and about Marner being at his cottage (when he was with PM's family).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad