Player Discussion Paul Byron

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
A healthy Byron will go 18/18 next year and be top pair PK. He is a very effective player that would have had his third straight 20G season last year if he stayed healthy. No PP time, lots of PK time, 14.5 mins a game total.

20 goals is top 9, if we are so deep that 20 goal guys need to play 4th line then we are pretty stacked (we aren’t) and should move him (we shouldn’t)

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If Kopitar is traded it will be for 1sts and or futures. I don't think ot's a good idea for us to give up futures for a player almost in their mid thirties.

I understand the risks at play. But If I get the retention and Alzner going the other way, I make that move. Look at each situation below...

1) Waiting for the kids to be impact players will take a while and Weber's window passes by. Price gets older. This is dumb IMO if we keep going down this current road.

2) Try to go down by selling assets? Well that means we have to liquidate Price and Weber in trades where other teams ask us to retain and offer $0.50 on the dollar for value. Teams are not going to give us their top prospects that easily. Retaining on Price for 6 years and Weber for 3-6 years with the possibility of cap recapture is very very risky cause in 4+ years, you might need that cap space bud

3) Try to go up by using some futures? We have a shit load of them. I would trade for Kopitar cause his window fits both Weber and Price. But if I give them pieces like KK and our 1st (6-10 range), they will be taking Alzner (full contract) and I want $3M of retention on Kopitar from 33-36 bringing it down to $7M. Risky yes but our team would be that much better and we would have cap space make other moves (LD for example). KK might turn into a top 2C and I'd live with that. The 6-10 range pick will result in another good player but I don't see a star.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Oh yes, he's back.

Hopefully he was injured st the start of the year and we're seeing the fully recovered Byron, i.e. his old self.

3g, 3a in the 7 games since he's been back. And the team is 4-2-1. I guess he's the early favorite for the anti-tank award.

Reactions: kevsavard95

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Paul is a great guy, a nice person and etc but when I heard him speak in french on radio last two days I wanted to turn off the radio. There is people in the media who are great story tellers, I could listen hours and still be hocked to what they say, the total opposite of ti-Paul, I can't stand more than 5 seconds when he talk, lol.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
FWIW, during the AC segment where viewers can submit questions, someone asked what's going with Paul Byron.

Latendresse took the question and emitted two plausible scenarios.

The first has to do with what happens when you suffer a concussion. Latendresse having gone through it, says that if fear gets into you're cooked. You might feel well and everything's fine and then 5 minutes before you hop on the ice, you get a certain thought in your head, you get triggered by something you see and you get off your game. So his concussion is not resolved in terms of his mental response and how fear enters the picture.

Secondly, Byron is an easy guy to set aside. A young player needs a spot and he's moved about. He's so easy to set aside cause he never complains. Latendresse believes the Habs are not showing Byron enough respect.

Don't know if I buy the second comment. I think Byron's play will dictate where he plays and since he's not performing right now, that's what's causing him to be lower on the totem pole. The post-concussion issue appears to me to be far more plausible and likely. Who knows what is really going on.

Or maybe it's just the usual case of a guy over-performing for 2-3 years and then slowly fading away. There's tons of examples of that.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
We're not getting a 1st for Byron.

I would be happy to get a 2nd for him. But knowing MB, in his infinite wisdom, Byron is unavailable.

There was a legit chance to get a 1st before we extended him. I mean he was on fire and paid only 1 millions. At the deadline even cap spending teams would have been able to add him. Now with his salary he's not worth much imo unless you accept a multi years cap dump in return. He cost too much for teams looking to win a cup now and he's too old and not enough experienced for teams looking to build something. He's not the type of vet a team looking to surround their kids will be looking at.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
There was a legit chance to get a 1st before we extended him. I mean he was on fire and paid only 1 millions. At the deadline even cap spending teams would have been able to add him. Now with his salary he's not worth much imo unless you accept a multi years cap dump in return. He cost too much for teams looking to win a cup now and he's too old and not enough experienced for teams looking to build something. He's not the type of vet a team looking to surround their kids will be looking at.

Yeah at this point i just hope he can play like he did when he came back from injury. He's an excellent 4th liner that can jump into the top 9 when needed, is a great short handed threat, and great at 3 on 3.

Perhaps next year, if we don't add a significant top 6 player:

Tatar Danault Gallagher
Kovalchuk Suzuki Armia
Drouin Domi Evans
Byron Dauphin Lehkonen

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
upload_2020-6-3_11-38-16.png

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017

“Paul Byron takes over the camera to show fans how he and his family have been spending their time while self-isolating at home”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad