Player Discussion Paul Byron

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Seems a bit harsh for a first offense, but it was a head shot. After all, he might need a break, he was tired after the first 10 games.

Reactions: Runner77

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I hate that injuries are part of the equation. That makes things so stupid.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I agree with this. But at the end of the day, this hit deserves 3 games, no doubt about it to me. Disappointed in Byron, he doesn't usually make stupid plays like this.

I don't have an issue with the suspension.

I'd just like to see how the league is going to react when a similar hit is made by a Sydney Crosby instead of a Paul Byron.

Reactions: cphabs

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I hate that injuries are part of the equation. That makes things so stupid.

Agreed. You can high stick someone in the face, almost take their eye out but if there is no blood, it's a minor penalty. It is stupid.

Same goes for the Byron type hit. No elbow and he jumped into him making contact to the head. If he got him in the chest solely, there might of been a penalty (maybe) but no suspension. We are talking about a very minuscule margin of difference here on a game that is played at a fast tempo.

One of these days, a Superstar is going to end another Superstar's career and then what? Hitting is part of the game. Sometimes you can see the malicious attempt (sticking your elbow or knee out) and a lot of times you see the Byron type hit where he tried to hit him in the front face of the body but got his head.

The key here is this... Is there a malicious attempt at trying to injure someone?

Last edited:

LarryO

Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
www.youtube.com
Agreed. You can high stick someone in the face, almost take their eye out but if there is no blood, it's a minor penalty. It is stupid.

Same goes for the Byron type hit. No elbow and he jumped into him making contact to the head. If he got him in the chest solely, there might of been a penalty (maybe) but no suspension. We are talking about a very minuscule margin of difference here on a game that is played at a fast tempo.

One of these days, a Superstar is going to end another Superstar's career and then what? Hitting is part of the game. Sometimes you can see the malicious attempt (sticking your elbow or knee out) and a lot of times you see the Byron type hit where he tried to hit him in the front face of the body but got his head.

The key here is this... Is there a malicious attempt at trying to injure someone?
I think that carelessness has to be dealt with as well as maliciousness, which is why I believe he deserves a suspension, but I think 1 game would have sufficed.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think that carelessness has to be dealt with as well as maliciousness, which is why I believe he deserves a suspension, but I think 1 game would have sufficed.

Agreed. I think I'd be OK with 1 game. But Byron did let up slightly and did not hit him from behind where he could of easily have. He's guilty of leaving his feet (so many players do it) and hitting him real hard catching his part of his head.

He was a bit careless but it was not malicious. If he raised his shoulder or elbow, then that would of been different. He clearly tried to lay a hard hit to the front of his body and it ended up badly. He deserves to be held accountable for being careless to some degree but it was not malicious. He was trying to finish his check into the front of the body.

What are we going to do... consider every hard hit malicious? It's not easy to manage these situations in the game of hockey. The speed and tempo the game is played at is the best in the world.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
I have zero problem if this was the NHL actually taking headshots seriously.

However we all know by next week there will likely be half a dozen more plays that they wont even look at

Reactions: cphabs and Sorinth

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
No problem with the suspension, but that's very atypical for the NHL/DopS to hand out punishment that's on the "relatively severe" side of the Spectrum in January.

Nashy

Living on Fish Island
Feb 2, 2006
Toronto
I don't have a problem with the decision. It's the fact that much worse hits will not be suspended. This should have been 1 game at most.....but it's who you are, who you hit and were they injured? That's the NHL equation to determine suspension length.

Intent is a distant fourth in consideration.

LarryO

Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
www.youtube.com
Agreed. I think I'd be OK with 1 game. But Byron did let up slightly and did not hit him from behind where he could of easily have. He's guilty of leaving his feet (so many players do it) and hitting him real hard catching his part of his head.

He was a bit careless but it was not malicious. If he raised his shoulder or elbow, then that would of been different. He clearly tried to lay a hard hit to the front of his body and it ended up badly. He deserves to be held accountable for being careless to some degree but it was not malicious. He was trying to finish his check into the front of the body.

What are we going to do... consider every hard hit malicious? It's not easy to manage these situations in the game of hockey. The speed and tempo the game is played at is the best in the world.
Whether the infraction is committed out of maliciousness or carelessness makes no difference. It's the action that should be penalized regardless of intentions or results. Whether you trip someone intentionally or accidentally, it's a 2-minute penalty because you're responsible for your stick. You can't prove a person's intentions. Just the facts, ma'am.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Whether the infraction is committed out of maliciousness or carelessness makes no difference. It's the action that should be penalized regardless of intentions or results. Whether you trip someone intentionally or accidentally, it's a 2-minute penalty because you're responsible for your stick. You can't prove a person's intentions. Just the facts, ma'am.

Exactly what I've been arguing. Penalize the act, not the results of the act.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

The maliciousness attempt factors into the suspension. Not denying he should of got 1 game.

sergejean

Dec 11, 2007
The good news is that it will give Byron sufficient time to heal up any small injuries he might have been carrying over and allow for another player (Peca or Hudon) to contribute.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Lets see if the NHL is consistent. Johanson swung his stick across a Jets player's head last night. If he doesn't get a 3 game for that, we know the fix is on. But you know, there wasn't an injury so.. you only suspend by the outcome of a dirty play, not the intent.....

Reactions: cphabs

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Lets see if the NHL is consistent. Johanson swung his stick across a Jets player's head last night. If he doesn't get a 3 game for that, we know the fix is on. But you know, there wasn't an injury so.. you only suspend by the outcome of a dirty play, not the intent.....

Preds are NHL sweethearts, so we'll see.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Preds are NHL sweethearts, so we'll see.

Oh, odd.. no suspension for the preds player who swung his stick at another players face? lol. Nice.

He's suspended for two games.

Reactions: groovejuice

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
LMAO watch that in slow motion. Brutal. The stick hit him in the left side of the face and temple while Johansson had eye contact.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad