Player Discussion Paul Byron

Chr1s97

Jul 25, 2018
Montreal
I was not even expecting a game tbh, why did they come down so hard on this?
so do I. the guy barely 5'10 170lbs. he stopped skating. he was gliding 2-3 meters before hitting him and his feet barely leave the ice. i ciuld accepet the charging penalty, even his skates barely leave the ice. I wouldve hardly accept a 1 game suspension but now 3 games is just ridiculous

Reactions: CanadiensChick

Bring Bak Damphousse

Fire Bergevin...into the Sun
May 27, 2002
Canada
Seemed like such a nothing hit, totally forgot about it till I saw he was suspended. I’ve got no problems with the dops coming down hard on hits to the head, but this just seems like another suspension they pulled out of there asses.

Uncle Gary

Apr 12, 2014
Seemed like such a nothing hit, totally forgot about it till I saw he was suspended. I’ve got no problems with the dops coming down hard on hits to the head, but this just seems like another suspension they pulled out of there asses.
Consistency is the biggest problem I have with these suspensions. Different players get vastly different suspension lengths for similar hits. It's ridiculous.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Agree,
They can't ban fighting, I hope that NHL adds the following rule in the near future

Fight = automatic game ejection + 1 game suspension.
Ok, then the referees should be subject to the same for making shit calls or lack of calls. We have “video”! You want fighting to stop? Hold the refs accountable.

Pickles

Apr 25, 2017
In the jar'o
Left his feet and hit the head. Not intentional obviously. Byron is not a dirty player at all. Just unfortunate.
Yeah I watched the video a few times and he did leave the ice with one foot but 3 games for a first time offense is way too harsh. Maybe its my pro-Habs bias talking.

Reactions: Chr1s97

HabsGifs

Follow me on twitter! @HabsGifs
Jan 29, 2009
Suspension.gif

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Yeah I watched the video a few times and he did leave the ice with one foot but 3 games for a first time offense is way too harsh. Maybe its my pro-Habs bias talking.
Nah I agree it's harsh. Especially for a guy with no history. Still, I think they need to crack down on headshots so hopefully they up the severity of suspensions league wide.

Thought the hit on Mete the other night was way worst. That was extremely dangerous and Mete is lucky he wasn't hurt

Reactions: Pickles

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Because the NHL suspends on outcome, not on intent. Its the reason we have been robbed of so much elite careers around the league from concussions and cheap shots. Hits like Byron's happen all the time, never a suspension. You won't see it again either, it was a chicken **** call.

How do you prove intent unless you create a tribunal of some sort vested with similar procedural standards as those in typical courts of law and appoint individuals who are uniquely qualified to prove intent with a credible standard of evidence?

There is no time to convene and hold hearings and review evidence and then arrive at a decision without causing countless delays.

What does the NHL do -- they appoint ex-goons and face-punchers to review film, conduct an interview with the perpetrator usually by phone and render a decision typically within 24 hours.

I think the dichotomy is not intent vs. outcome but rather condemning an action vs. condemning the consequences of an action.

Sportsnet's account shows how the NHL is not making any distinction between an action and the consequences of an action -- it is taking both into account:

“Byron launches himself excessively upwards, coming off the ice to deliver the hit, and in the process makes significant and forceful head contact,” read the statement in DoPS’ video explanation for its ruling late on Wednesday. “The onus is on Byron not to elevate excessively and launch into the hit. Regardless of Weegar’s movement, there is no reason why the shoulder of Byron should be making direct and forceful contact with Weegar’s head.”

That on its own was worth a couple of games, and Weegar being injured justified the number going to three. Now, Byron and the Canadiens are just going to have to live with the consequences of his actions.

On the same action, if Weegar were say taken out for the season, would it be justified to have Byron suspended longer?

Reactions: mariolemieux66

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Agree,
They can't ban fighting, I hope that NHL adds the following rule in the near future

Fight = automatic game ejection + 1 game suspension.
You waiting for the pa to agree to this?

You might want to pull up a chair.

Perhaps have the one instigating the fight be the Butler for the other player?

Rule changes go through the PA.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Really hope Hudon gets the call to replace Byron. Peca is similar in his speed game, so it wouldn't be the end of the world if he gets the nod. But I like Hudon's offensive contributions. I just hope Agostino doesn't get put in the top 9. He's been a good 4th liner. But I don't like him in the top 9.

LastRide

Feb 18, 2008
Byron opened his big mouth and pleaded guilty and said he will accept whatever is handed out. He should have played hardball and defended himself. Maybe he would have gotten 1 or 2 games. They are going to throw a little more at you when you plead guilty.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad