Paul Bissonnette tweet to Carcillo

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
They also have a female CFO and CEO. The content people say stupid and offensive **** about pretty much everything, what I call the South Park model, but the company itself has proven to be very progressive when it comes to empowering women.

I don't deny that, and it really isn't about anything offensive content people say. Its about how many of them will use their CEO(and CFO now, and I think theres another major exec) and an unironic defense when people say Barstool is sexist. So you can understand why people would question their motives when they use their female exec's that way.

Mr Plow

Apr 15, 2016
So you can understand why people would question their motives when they use their female exec's that way.

No, not really. It all depends on what your preconceived biases are. If you already think they are sexist, them pointing at their CEO's gender might look shady. If you go in with an open mind, them saying their CEO, CFO, CRO, and much of their top talent is female, it just comes across as a reasonable defense against outside accusations.

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
I don't deny that, and it really isn't about anything offensive content people say. Its about how many of them will use their CEO(and CFO now, and I think theres another major exec) and an unironic defense when people say Barstool is sexist. So you can understand why people would question their motives when they use their female exec's that way.

Just out of interest, when they get labelled as sexist, how should they respond that would satisfy the accusers?

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
LMAO at anyone on Carcillos side. Be a psycho for life then when your afraid to get caught throw out some sorrys before you start judging everybody. Class human right there definitely somebody to defend. lol

I'm not on anyone's "side" but I like Carcillo and sympathize with him here. As someone who said and did some rotten things in my mid to late teens that I now look back on with huge regret and just cringe with embarrassment. But it is possible to learn and grow from those mistakes and who I was 10 years ago does not reflect my values of today. I'm not saying I shouldn't be held accountable for something that happened all those years ago but I also would think it's a bit much to hold a grudge strong enough to tee off on me in public all these years later. That accomplishes nothing and would not help anyone heal if that's what they were looking for .

I appreciate Carcillo going out of his way to try and rectify those same mistakes. It was way out of line for Biz to go over the edge like that over a rather innocent comment "Damage control from the JR fallout"... damn I'd hate to see how Biz would react to a real actual insult.

IDuck

Sep 26, 2007
Just out of interest, when they get labelled as sexist, how should they respond that would satisfy the accusers?
you cant...that is whats wrong with people these days, they can call you whatever they want and anything you say or use to defend yourself is just used against you for why you are in fact what they call you....this is what happens when kids grow up with parents that fight there battles for them and tell them they are the victims of (fill in the blank)....if someone does/did something that you dont like or upsets you then you tell THEM and figure it out, instead people do say anything (defend themselves/position) and tell others who want to tell them how much of a victim them and they dont see how there own actions could have made the situation worse, while allowing others who WERE NOT THERE to tell them the extent.....its gross and crazy/scary to see

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
LMAO at anyone on Carcillos side. Be a psycho for life then when your afraid to get caught throw out some sorrys before you start judging everybody. Class human right there definitely somebody to defend. lol

I’m at a loss for words. If Carcillo was scared he would have disappeared and never been heard of again. Instead he continues to recognize the mistakes he has made and bring attention to issues around the league and sport. It’s courageous if anything.

Saying your sorry doesn’t just make things better and I don’t think he expects that. He has been in front of many issues and has openly admitted he was a part of the problem and wants to see change. Actions speak louder than words.

Reactions: ToDavid
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
No, not really. It all depends on what your preconceived biases are. If you already think they are sexist, them pointing at their CEO's gender might look shady. If you go in with an open mind, them saying their CEO, CFO, CRO, and much of their top talent is female, it just comes across as a reasonable defense against outside accusations.

Lmao at no point is it a reasonable defense, just like "I have a black friend" isn't a defense against accusations of racism. You're kind of telling on yourself a bit with that first line.

But, when you go to that well so often that it's a common talking point(you or I knowing anything about the CRO and CFO is weird, dude), yeah, it brings up some questions.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site

I've said the same thing for years, by shutting the f*** up. Their responses are never about satisfying accusers or proving anyone wrong, it's entirely about getting a bunch of social media interactions and patting themselves on the back. And it made things worse every time.

The sexism stuff has been overblown for a while now and they've changed considerably. Just let it speak for itself.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Instead he continues to recognize the mistakes he has made and bring attention to issues around the league and sport. It’s courageous if anything.

Saying your sorry doesn’t just make things better and I don’t think he expects that. He has been in front of many issues and has openly admitted he was a part of the problem and wants to see change. Actions speak louder than words.

I’m not saying he can’t change or be forgiven but it just doesn’t sit well with me the way he goes about it.

Idk, I’m not in his shoes so it’s easy to sit where I am and say this- but if I said a major part of why I’m pushing for change is because of my genuine regret for past actions, I probably wouldn’t jump down the throat of people who’ve made similar mistakes.

I just think Carcillo would be better suited to getting his message across as one of the more understanding and tolerant voices for those he “calls out”. Speculating, but I think that’s why a lot of people w/in hockey world seem very frustrated with him.

Also, I find this “Twitter beef” is f***ing dumb now. Biz’s first tweet was warranted the rest of it is just idiotic and personal on both sides.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I've said the same thing for years, by shutting the **** up. Their responses are never about satisfying accusers or proving anyone wrong, it's entirely about getting a bunch of social media interactions and patting themselves on the back. And it made things worse every time.

The sexism stuff has been overblown for a while now and they've changed considerably. Just let it speak for itself.

Yep, Barstool isn’t sexist imo but a classic strategy for them is to make sure EVERYONE reads/hears about a hit piece some random blogger wrote calling them sexist so they can then, like you say, generate engagement and publicly pat themselves on the back for not being sexist.

I’d like it a lot better if they stopped calling attention to people singling them out, everyone knows those people are just a vocal minority. It’s become tired and I say this as a longtime reader of their app.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I’m not saying he can’t change or be forgiven but it just doesn’t sit well with me the way he goes about it.

Idk, I’m not in his shoes so it’s easy to sit where I am and say this- but if I said a major part of why I’m pushing for change is because of my genuine regret for past actions, I probably wouldn’t jump down the throat of people who’ve made similar mistakes.

I just think Carcillo would be better suited to getting his message across as one of the more understanding and tolerant voices for those he “calls out”. Speculating, but I think that’s why a lot of people w/in hockey world seem very frustrated with him.

Also, I find this “Twitter beef” is ****ing dumb now. Biz’s first tweet was warranted the rest of it is just idiotic and personal on both sides.

That’s a fair criticism and for the most part I do agree with you. There certainly are better ways to attack the issues but I do think it’s genuine. Carcillo has been a step ahead the entire time. Every time a new issue arises around the sport and league he is just repeating what he has already said. The way I’ve viewed it is that it’s less about him changing how people view him and more about preventing others falling into the traps that he did.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
Was there ever a response from Carcillo? If so, what page was that introduced to the discussion? Thanks...

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I'm not on anyone's "side" but I like Carcillo and sympathize with him here. As someone who said and did some rotten things in my mid to late teens that I now look back on with huge regret and just cringe with embarrassment. But it is possible to learn and grow from those mistakes and who I was 10 years ago does not reflect my values of today. I'm not saying I shouldn't be held accountable for something that happened all those years ago but I also would think it's a bit much to hold a grudge strong enough to tee off on me in public all these years later. That accomplishes nothing and would not help anyone heal if that's what they were looking for .

I appreciate Carcillo going out of his way to try and rectify those same mistakes. It was way out of line for Biz to go over the edge like that over a rather innocent comment "Damage control from the JR fallout"... damn I'd hate to see how Biz would react to a real actual insult.
Yes, this one comment is why Biz said what he said......

Either you don’t know that Carcillo has constantly been poking and prodding at Biz and Chiclets for awhile or you’re choosing to forget about all that.

Reactions: zeeto

traffic cone

May 12, 2011
Scary and sad how many people are so small that they always pick the bully's side.

Carcillo is fighting against the system and standing up against the whole misogynistic, sexist, racist hockey scene.

Meanwhile people are just calling him a lunatic and siding with a guy like Paul Bissonnette and his barstoolspittinchiclets stuff... stuff that runs on making these "oh, boys will be boys haha" -jokes. It's all about the surface for so many of you, it seems. Real sad.

Hockey world has countless issues. Issues that aren't talked about enough. And it's not hard to see why because everytime someone is trying to ask questions he gets shot down basically.

traffic cone

May 12, 2011
People are trying to judge Carcillo by the things he's done long ago in the past and already has apologized for.

Meanwhile guys like Biz are still acting the way they are. They can't stand someone trying to judge the hockey guys. They feel insecure about it. They are afraid they can't continue living the sexist, misogynistic, racist, privileged hockey guy life they've so far lived.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Not that Carcillos views on CTE etc are that crazy but he is such a hypocrite and him taking the moral high ground is pretty annoying when he was such a dirty player...
He was also busy defending Kreider saying he was a really good guy after Kreider elbowed Pettersson last year.

BullLund

Dec 28, 2017
Nothing like a contest of wokeness between two hockey goons.

What a world we're living in.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Carcillo is beyond exhausting. I'm sure others have voiced this sentiment but the guy essentially admits that he was a piece of **** for his entire career, on and off the ice. He did whatever it took to stay in the league and keep collecting those checks and it didn't matter if someone had to get hurt for it. He was a loud mouth on and off the ice and the second he wasn't getting paid millions of dollars to play a game he decided he was going to advocate against people exactly like him. I can see if he retired at 30 and when he hit 40-45 he realized that the kind of player and person he was as a young man is not how he wants to present himself the rest of his life and that players like him are not good for the game but this guy did a 180 the second he was out of the league and it just doesn't come off as genuine. It would be like Marchand retiring after this season and then getting on Twitter to talk about eliminating cheap shots from the game. Regardless of whether he his mindset changed before or after retiring, he continued to play that role as long as he was getting a check and now he wants players just like him removed from the game and people like him fired. He says he's a changed person and basically deserves a second chance but is he going to say the same thing about someone like JR? Is he going to advocate for him getting another job since JR has come out and apologized? He wants everyone to believe he's a changed man but those same feelings don't apply to anyone else.

I always say, whenever you see someone virtue signaling it's for a reason and it's typically because they're giant hypocrites. if someone offered Carcillo a contract tomorrow he's be right back out there trying to pound someone's face in.

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax

That was one comment amongst a series of comments that were negative towards Bissonnette and his character. The glass houses phrase is most relevant here.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Personally I believe if you have said or done something stupid in the past that should never be forgotten or forgiven. Trying to change just makes it worse as you are then also not true to your values. And whenever someone randomly brings up those old stories the only thing you can do is make sure to have some rotten eggs available at all times because you should then drop them on your own head as punishment.

rmthomson21

Sep 22, 2015
DMV
Personally I believe if you have said or done something stupid in the past that should never be forgotten or forgiven. Trying to change just makes it worse as you are then also not true to your values. And whenever someone randomly brings up those old stories the only thing you can do is make sure to have some rotten eggs available at all times because you should then drop them on your own head as punishment.
What, you're honestly saying that if you realize you're being shitty in some way it's preferable to continue to do so? And that improving as a person somehow makes you... a worse person?

Yikes.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

DickSmehlik

Oct 23, 2006
The Empire State
Funny how a lot of posters who had their pitchforks and torches in tow for Peters and Babcock and argued that they should be blacklisted from the NHL for their sins, are so forgiving and apologetic when it comes to Carcillo and his sins.

I do think both sides are hypocritical and bias confirmation definitely obscures this issue big time.

Reactions: CupInSIX

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad