Paul Bissonnette tweet to Carcillo

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
What, you're honestly saying that if you realize you're being ****ty in some way it's preferable to continue to do so? And that improving as a person somehow makes you... a worse person?

Yikes.

Exactly. Seems to capture quite a few posts in this thread fairly well I thought.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Personally I believe if you have said or done something stupid in the past that should never be forgotten or forgiven. Trying to change just makes it worse as you are then also not true to your values. And whenever someone randomly brings up those old stories the only thing you can do is make sure to have some rotten eggs available at all times because you should then drop them on your own head as punishment.

This is idiotic. These things generally come from ignorance, especially when we’re talking about teenagers/young adults. So you’re basically saying that no one can ever learn anything.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Personally I believe if you have said or done something stupid in the past that should never be forgotten or forgiven. Trying to change just makes it worse as you are then also not true to your values. And whenever someone randomly brings up those old stories the only thing you can do is make sure to have some rotten eggs available at all times because you should then drop them on your own head as punishment.

This is ridiculous. People do dumb shit due to immaturity and not having an understanding of how the real world works. Once you grow and have different experiences and see how things really are, everything you thought you know changes. And you do whatever it takes to rectify that.

I had a very sheltered upbringing and only knew how things were in my own little bubble and that shaped my dumb and ignorant viewpoints.

Once I got out of that bubble I very quickly realized what a little ignorant piece of shit I was. I cant change that but only who I am moving forward .

Reactions: ToDavid

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
It's pretty ironic that Carcillo said he had apologized for the incident so should be forgiven. Didn't Bill Peter's apologize? Also Roenick apologized as well?

Yet he continued to try to drag them through the mud. It really is hilarious to watch.

If a player like Iginla or the Sedins came out and did what Carcillo is doing it would at least seem sincere as we know their character. But you can't go around throwing people under the bus when everyone knows you're a hypocrite and used to be a bad person yourself.

I'm not really convinced he's changed anyways and seems to be doing all this for the attention rather than being sincere in his acts.

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
I don't deny that, and it really isn't about anything offensive content people say. Its about how many of them will use their CEO(and CFO now, and I think theres another major exec) and an unironic defense when people say Barstool is sexist. So you can understand why people would question their motives when they use their female exec's that way.

ehh this is a construct. It is not debatable that their founder and some of their content creators and a large portion of their fanbase have said misogynistic and sexist things in the past (and present, lets be honest.) It is also not debatable that the most powerful person at the company is a woman. That she has been the driving force for them to quadruple in growth since she started there. Sometimes two things can be true at once. Portnoy has done and said misogynistic things AND he hired a capable woman who is doing a great job growing his company.

Reactions: JetsWillFly4Ever

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
This is idiotic. These things generally come from ignorance, especially when we’re talking about teenagers/young adults. So you’re basically saying that no one can ever learn anything.

No. I never said anyone couldn't learn anything. I say they shouldn't because that means people would have to consider nuances and reevaluate their opinions on things. That is intellectually very tiring to do don't you agree? It is much better if Carcillo just stayed a racist homophobic angry man. Then we wouldn't have had to have this discussion.

Even more important considering the co2 footprint this conversation has. Ridiculous.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
ehh this is a construct. It is not debatable that their founder and some of their content creators and a large portion of their fanbase have said misogynistic and sexist things in the past (and present, lets be honest.) It is also not debatable that the most powerful person at the company is a woman. That she has been the driving force for them to quadruple in growth since she started there. Sometimes two things can be true at once. Portnoy has done and said misogynistic things AND he hired a capable woman who is doing a great job growing his company.

Well yeah I don't think any of that contradicts what I said.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
This is ridiculous. People do dumb **** due to immaturity and not having an understanding of how the real world works. Once you grow and have different experiences and see how things really are, everything you thought you know changes. And you do whatever it takes to rectify that.

I had a very sheltered upbringing and only knew how things were in my own little bubble and that shaped my dumb and ignorant viewpoints.

Once I got out of that bubble I very quickly realized what a little ignorant piece of **** I was. I cant change that but only who I am moving forward .

But how would you learn if no one showed you have to be dumb? With Carcillo being mature and reasonable we can quickly forget how real =&$&&$÷;^ look like. Scary thoughts.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
To be fair, Portnoy is still the most powerful person at the company. I am conflicted in looking at this squabble for a few reasons.

I dislike Portnoy, he's a bit insufferable and for sure has said misogynistic shit in the past and probably is still a bit of one to be honest. I dislike a lot of Barstool's following, there's some real low-lifes that love Barstool and it makes it hard to like them.

That being said, Chiclets is under the banner of Barstool but they are not responsible for all of the past crimes of the owner of the company. Barstool has become something incredibly large and more than just a rag-tag misogynist blog site that it may have started off as. Some of Barstool is incredibly entertaining and there's nothing wrong with it morally. Biz is not a perfect person, I find his 'kill' stories to be incredibly immature and a product of a different time and think he needs to grow up about that. At the same time I think he is a good person who doesn't realize the image that kill stories portray. He advocates for women's hockey, treats people and his fans well and is for sure becoming a massive influence on the game of hockey.

Carcillo is conflicting as well. I generally agree with what he says, there is problems in hockey in regards to the culture and the CTE problem. That being said, he is so hypocritical it becomes almost impossible to take him seriously. He likes to see he cleaned up his side of the street, he apologized etc. but that does not absolve him of his past nor give him the right to be overly critical of people who are doing things that are not as bad as what he did. He also never apologized (as far as I know) for calling Nardini a PR stunt and completely disregarding her worth because she is a woman. His repeated chirping at Biz eventually came to a head, you can only criticize someone for so long before they fire back, and when Biz knows what knows about Carcillo it was not a smart decision.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
It's pretty ironic that Carcillo said he had apologized for the incident so should be forgiven. Didn't Bill Peter's apologize? Also Roenick apologized as well?

Yet he continued to try to drag them through the mud. It really is hilarious to watch.

If a player like Iginla or the Sedins came out and did what Carcillo is doing it would at least seem sincere as we know their character. But you can't go around throwing people under the bus when everyone knows you're a hypocrite and used to be a bad person yourself.

I'm not really convinced he's changed anyways and seems to be doing all this for the attention rather than being sincere in his acts.

No but it's also really lame on Biz's end to hold a grudge for something that happened 10 years ago and air it out in public when the whole thing was settled.

Makes him look petty and was only bringing it up to make Carcillo look bad, it accomplishes nothing else.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
I mean, it's your opinion so it is what it is but man, this is a sad way to live. I personally don't care for Carcillo mainly because he didn't retire, go through a period of anonymity and then come back a better, more mature man a decade later after realizing his faults. He retired and when he was no longer getting paid millions of dollars to be a dick and pound people's faces in he instantly changed his values. He played the role of the villain for years and as soon as the checks stopped coming in, he wanted everyone's respect. That's my problem with him. I have no problem with someone saying they regret things they said and did in their past because they've learned from their mistakes but that kind of self reflection doesn't happen overnight the way it did for Carcillo. I just can't believe someone would actually advocate for holding everything over a person's head that they did when they were young and dumb and go as far as to say that becoming a better person is actually worse than continuing to be a dick for the rest of your life. I'm just going to assume you're a young guy who has no ragerts. I ahve a feeling you'll look back in a decade or two and cringe at this post.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Scary and sad how many people are so small that they always pick the bully's side.

Carcillo is fighting against the system and standing up against the whole misogynistic, sexist, racist hockey scene.

Meanwhile people are just calling him a lunatic and siding with a guy like Paul Bissonnette and his barstoolspittinchiclets stuff... stuff that runs on making these "oh, boys will be boys haha" -jokes. It's all about the surface for so many of you, it seems. Real sad.

Hockey world has countless issues. Issues that aren't talked about enough. And it's not hard to see why because everytime someone is trying to ask questions he gets shot down basically.

People are trying to judge Carcillo by the things he's done long ago in the past and already has apologized for.

Meanwhile guys like Biz are still acting the way they are. They can't stand someone trying to judge the hockey guys. They feel insecure about it. They are afraid they can't continue living the sexist, misogynistic, racist, privileged hockey guy life they've so far lived.

* The world has countless issues.

Racism isnt a hockey problem, it's bigger than that. Its a problem that transcends hockey. When someone says something on the ice they don't say it b/c they are a hockey player, they say it b/c they have a prejudice.

It's important to recognize that when your trying to improve something like 'hockey culture'. Going into it with malevolent "tear this thing down" attitude is not the way forward.

What is hockey culture? What has improved, what can we still do it improve it? People act like it hasn't improved at all, even a smidge, & that's not right. Just as an example; hazing was horrible part of 'HC' that largely doesn't exist. The era of senseless fighting (that led to so much head trauma & death) is out. The game has moved forward & continues to.

I don't know what Biz 'acting the way he does' means. I assume there's some ignorance behind that. His views on the game have shifted (tho not as radically as Carcillo). And he's very sensitive to ppl & the way our society is changing.

If your not going to acknowledge that, or act as if thats not the case, while defending Carcillo then that's hypocritical.

Jacksonbobson

Feb 2, 2009
Cancel culture is toxic.

but Carcillo is always the douche that is the loudest on twitter when it comes to being a judgmental prick.

What goes around comes around.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
People are trying to judge Carcillo by the things he's done long ago in the past and already has apologized for.

Meanwhile guys like Biz are still acting the way they are. They can't stand someone trying to judge the hockey guys. They feel insecure about it. They are afraid they can't continue living the sexist, misogynistic, racist, privileged hockey guy life they've so far lived.

You're really going to sit here and talk about Biz wanting to continue living a racist life because he called Carcillo out for literally being racist directly towards him?

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
No but it's also really lame on Biz's end to hold a grudge for something that happened 10 years ago and air it out in public when the whole thing was settled.

Makes him look petty and was only bringing it up to make Carcillo look bad, it accomplishes nothing else.
I don't think you've followed this situation at all.

Carcillo has held the grudge, he's criticized Chiclets and Biz in particular numerous times before this. Now Biz has an article in the biggest newspaper in Canada come out and Carcillo basically calls it a PR piece and disregards everything in the article because he doesn't like what Biz is doing. Compares Biz to Cherry and Roenick to insult him.

Biz finally snaps and exposes Carcillo for the hypocrite that he is. Biz goes on to say that he wishes it didn't happen like this but that his wires crossed, a perfectly reasonable response to Carcillo's actions over the last couple years.

Reactions: Mr Plow

Pockets16

Jan 30, 2007
About time, people on this site were pathetic treating Carcillo like a hero and not a clear and obvious hypocrite

Most suspensions OF ALL TIME trying to become the face of taking cheap shots out of hockey

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
The implication was that they hired those women as a foil against the label. I don't think that's true.

No I don't think that, I'm just saying it's easy to understand why people would think that when they use it as a talking point so often.

The Dallas Mavericks also hired a female CEO(after a sexual assault scandal no less), and if Mark Cuban was constantly bringing it up in defense against said scandal, people would probably be saying similar things.

traffic cone

May 12, 2011
You're really going to sit here and talk about Biz wanting to continue living a racist life because he called Carcillo out for literally being racist directly towards him?
Biz's point was the "welcome to the mud". He basically implied to Carcillo that "you're not any better - so shut up".

Carcillo has apologized and changed. Even if it may be hard for someone to understand. Carcillo is tackling the issue and the system.

It isn't about who's better. It's about the fact the there are tons of issues in the hockey community. Guys like Bissonnette, Roenick and their buddies rather not speak about them - because it would bring probelms to them as well. Because they're inside the scene still - why talk about something negative? Exactly.

Meanwhile Carcillo has dropped out of it, has nothing to lose - so he can speak about stuff like that more easily.

But it's sad that guys like Carcillo, Laraque etc. get painted as lunatics when they talk about the issues. It's like people want to look away from all the problems.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
Biz's point was the "welcome to the mud". He basically implied to Carcillo that "you're not any better - so shut up".

Carcillo has apologized and changed. Even if it may be hard for someone to understand. Carcillo is tackling the issue and the system.

It isn't about who's better. It's about the fact the there are tons of issues in the hockey community. Guys like Bissonnette, Roenick and their buddies rather not speak about them - because it would bring probelms to them as well. Because they're inside the scene still - why talk about something negative? Exactly.

Meanwhile Carcillo has dropped out of it, has nothing to lose - so he can speak about stuff like that more easily.

But it's sad that guys like Carcillo, Laraque etc. get painted as lunatics when they talk about the issues. It's like people want to look away from all the problems.

I feel like you're just ignoring the situations here.

Biz has constantly stopped people from talking crap about Carcillo on his incredibly popular podcast. He's defended him and protected him countless times. Carcillo apologized to him and Biz accepted it and moved on.

Then Carcillo started taking shots at Biz because of an article written about him. So Biz responded to him by bringing to light incidents of Racism directly pointed at Biz from the mouth of Carcillo.

So what you're saying is that Carcillo should get a pass for his racism because he apologized for it but continued to attack the victim in other ways?

traffic cone

May 12, 2011
About time, people on this site were pathetic treating Carcillo like a hero and not a clear and obvious hypocrite

Most suspensions OF ALL TIME trying to become the face of taking cheap shots out of hockey
This is the problematic narrative that keeps continuing.

Do you understand that this isn't about Dan Carcillo? It isn't about what he did or what he is.

You look past all the problems and issue just to blame Carcillo. He doesn't care what people think about him. He only wants to talk about these numerous problems.

People aren't even trying to listen about it or see the problem. They just go on a rant about Carcillo as a person or as a player - even though it doesn't have anything to do with the bigger issues here.

People are making everything so personal these days. Cancel culture. You're just making it easier for those to rule wrongly to keep continuing it while you fight against each other.

Realize the issue and do something about it. Stop calling Carcillo or Bissonnette names - that's the point.

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.

That's not what that means. He wasn't saying anything about himself, he was saying if you want to sling shit at me I can sling shit right back at you.

The reality is that people have different views on the NHL and the issues involved in it. Carcillo believes that there are massive issues in the game and that Biz is a part of that. Biz thinks hockey was great for him and that he loved playing in the NHL despite the fact that there are some issues.

Carcillo can apologize as much as he wants but that doesn't give him the right to be forgiven. I don't blame anyone for not listening to him after all the shit he did in his career.

traffic cone

May 12, 2011
I feel like you're just ignoring the situations here.

Biz has constantly stopped people from talking crap about Carcillo on his incredibly popular podcast. He's defended him and protected him countless times. Carcillo apologized to him and Biz accepted it and moved on.

Then Carcillo started taking shots at Biz because of an article written about him. So Biz responded to him by bringing to light incidents of Racism directly pointed at Biz from the mouth of Carcillo.

So what you're saying is that Carcillo should get a pass for his racism because he apologized for it but continued to attack the victim in other ways?
Again. What I'm talking about is a lot bigger than Carcillo. My point is this: Dan Carcillo speaks about things the hockey world doesn't want to here -> Dan Carcillo gets painted as a lunatic, basically a cancel campaign attacks him.

He himself said and admitted the racist things. He admitted what he was once like.

I don't care if Carcillo did or didn't do something. I don't have to defend Carcillo. You can crucify him if you want - go ahead.

It's just sad to see that all the hockey world does is use their energy to call Carcillo (or Bissonnette or anyone in topics like these) names and make this stuff personal. While the actual problems get buried behind all this bullshit. That's my problem.

I don't care what you think of Carcillo. I don't have any sympathies for him. I'm just glad he's talking about the numerous issues the hockey world doesn't want to here. Are you not?

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009

One of the dumbest things I’ve ever heard. Thanks. Please, posters of HF, do not forget or forgive this post.

Reactions: jaeger

traffic cone

May 12, 2011
That's not what that means. He wasn't saying anything about himself, he was saying if you want to sling **** at me I can sling **** right back at you.

The reality is that people have different views on the NHL and the issues involved in it. Carcillo believes that there are massive issues in the game and that Biz is a part of that. Biz thinks hockey was great for him and that he loved playing in the NHL despite the fact that there are some issues.

Carcillo can apologize as much as he wants but that doesn't give him the right to be forgiven. I don't blame anyone for not listening to him after all the **** he did in his career.
Again. I don't care about Carcillo or if you or someone else forgive him or not.

I only care about the issues here. And once again, the real issues get buried behind personal stuff. It's like American politics.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad