Patriots/NFL Patriots select safety Kyle Dugger out of Division II Lenoir-Rhyne at No. 37

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan

Oh boo. What a ridiculously safe pick. I know we lost Karras and that Andrew's health makes the need to grab a Center kind of urgent. But Jesus, we could have grabbed a guy like Woodard as an undrafted free agent uncontested. Nothing against the kid. I'm sure Bill thinks he can play. I just don't get why this team thinks Hoyer is sufficient competition. Unless Bill has something up his sleeve with signing a guy as an undrafted free agent or a veteran as a means to push Stidham, this was meh pick.

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
When teams who have established quarterbacks with years left like the Eagles and Packers are going out of their way to take someone like Jalen Hurts and Jordan Love respectfully, it would be insane for the Patriots to not at least go and take a flyer on someone. It doesn't even have to be the guy I like in Gordon. Just take a chance at pick 230. What do you have to lose at that point in the draft anyway?

Seriously. Someone should at least push Stidham with a little competition. Stidham is a complete wildcard
Why draft someone you don't like at this point? You could just sign Cody Kessler again.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Oh boo. What a ridiculously safe pick. I know we lost Karras and that Andrew's health makes the need to grab a Center kind of urgent. But Jesus, we could have grabbed a guy like Woodard as an undrafted free agent uncontested. Nothing against the kid. I'm sure Bill thinks he can play. I just don't get why this team thinks Hoyer is sufficient competition. Unless Bill has something up his sleeve with signing a guy as an undrafted free agent or a veteran as a means to push Stidham, this was meh pick.

It's the 7th round.

Reactions: CDJ

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Not even one QB?

Bill wants to ride or die with Stidham I suppose or get a veteran guy for training camp. Which...eh. I get it would be easier for a veteran to pick up the offense since they understand NFL play calling and intricacies more than a rookie would especially with no rookie mini camps. But its like, any new guy not named Hoyer or Stidham would still need to learn the Patriots playbook and with OTAs being delayed (if not cancelled depending on what happens), I don't see the logic. Plus, the idea is to ideally push Stidham. How does having Bryan Hoyer, the Charlie Brown of quarterbacks, push Stidham and assure Bill has the guy to take snaps post-Brady?

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore

You can never have enough linemen

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Why draft someone you don't like at this point? You could just sign Cody Kessler again.

Who's saying they should draft a player they don't like? I'm saying if there is a QB they think has talent and could provide some competition at bare minimum, take a chance by drafting him and see what he can do. Don't wait to see what's left because they want "a better deal." As far as them taking back Kessler, I guess but I just have very little faith in USC quarterbacks. Historically they have only produced one legitimate talent and that is Carson Palmer. It is superstitious on my part, but I'm sticking to it given the track record of QB busts from USC.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I understand that. So why not take a chance on a guy the Patriots may like at QB. Surely the Patriots were looking at more Quarterbacks than just Jalen Hurts, Jacob Eason, and Jake Fromm.

Well that's the thing.... Clearly they didn't like a QB there or they would have taken him.

Plus, what is a 7th round QB going to offer? They clearly like Stidham a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad